PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here play in one of the Marine bands?

drwilkinson
11-27-07, 10:41 AM
I'm currently on my way to join the Marine Corps band. I have an audition with the MTA in December and from what I've heard, being in one of the Marine bands is pretty awesome. For example, you travel and perform a lot and not only do you play marches, but other grade 5 concert pieces as well. And when I hear this, I definitely want to be apart of that because I'm interested in high-level performances and be the best!

But my step dad recently sent me this article http://www.hornplayer.net/archive/a302.html about how if you want to be a french horn player (which I am a horn player) don't join the Marine fleet bands. When I read this, it was basically a nightmare for me. I definitely don't want to be stuck for 4 years playing in, what the guy described, a mediocre band.

I do understand you're a Marine first and I definitely do not have a problem with that. But I am concerned about my 2nd job.....are all the fleet bands like this? I understand that the article only reflects one guys opinion, so that is why I'm on here asking for more. I also know that the President's Own is truly hardcore and as of right now, I'm no where near their playing level. I've only been playing the french horn for 9 years. Hopefully I can continue to practice and make it in President's Own, but right now one of the 12 fleet bands looks like where I'll go. (However I would much prefer Commandant's Own).

Wyoming
11-27-07, 01:37 PM
I sent you a PM.

Isrowei
11-27-07, 02:03 PM
I'm not a musician... but he's right. If you're joining the Marine Corps for any other reason than to be a Marine, then you will be disappointed in what you get. The Marine Corps (even the Band) isn't here to make you a top notch musician. It's to make you a top notch combat warrior. Music comes second. It always will. Furthermore, you will ALWAYS have to contend with rank vs experience issues. Some personalities mesh with the Marine lifestyle... some don't. Some people can understand and survive, others feel stifled.

Just know that everyone has their day in the sun. If you want to be a Marine, be a Marine. Enjoy the music you play (and you will play), the places you go (and you will travel), and the things that you do (including the rifle range, gas chamber, and PFT) and you should have no problems.

If doing anything other than music is annoying to you.... go someplace else.

killerinstinct
11-27-07, 02:25 PM
i think Marine84 played the flute alot... but im not really sure how her whole career went...

Marine84
11-27-07, 04:31 PM
Killer - you are soooooooooooooo full of $h!t. It was a different kind of flute.

dr - there used to be a WM that hung out here that wanted to be in the band. It's a hard competition and a lot don't make it. She was one that didn't and now she's a Supply Clerk. Just don't take it personally if you don't make it and be ready for whatever the Corps hands you if you don't. I'm with the Lt - if being in a band is what you want most, start one in the garage.

Zulu 36
11-27-07, 09:51 PM
Well, I read that article and I'd say the author should have tried to get into the Marine Corps Band.

The US Marine bands I have heard were way better than any high school band I know of. Their musical skills, and drill, was far superior. I have seen many military bands worldwide and Marine bands have been right up there. Although I do have a soft spot for the Royal Marines Bands. :thumbup:

The band from MCLB Albany played at the Edinburgh Tattoo a few years ago. That is one of THE premier bagpipe music and military band displays in the world, and to perform there is by invitation only.

If you think you are good enough, try for the Big Band in Washington DC. Go here for audition info:

http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/

Otherwise, follow the advice of the Lieutenant and M84. Remember, Marine fleet bands are a division HQ security platoon in a combat zone. Providing music becomes a secondary job then. Every Marine a Rifleman.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-27-07, 10:04 PM
A buddy of mine was a PMI after his second deployment. One of his best Marine Corps stories revolves around taking the 1st division band to Camp Wilson (which is at 29 Palms for the wannabes) and teaching them machine gun classes. It doesn't matter what your job is, you're still a Marine.

Zulu 36
11-28-07, 06:43 AM
A buddy of mine was a PMI after his second deployment. One of his best Marine Corps stories revolves around taking the 1st division band to Camp Wilson (which is at 29 Palms for the wannabes) and teaching them machine gun classes. It doesn't matter what your job is, you're still a Marine.

Yep. In 1976-77, the MP Co, 1st MarDiv, barracks were across the street from the band's building. They practiced in a drill field/parking lot right outside our barracks. I also watched them holding machine gun crew drills too, both with M-60s and 50 cals. Back then, the band was primarily a machine gun platoon in defense of the division HQ. I don't think much has changed in that regard except for newer weapons and they're probably more mobile in Hummers now.

Starting in the "fleet" bands isn't the end of one's Marine Corps musical career. I happened to look into the MC Band's web site and noted that both drum majors were regular Marine bandsmen before joining The Big Band. The senior DM had 16-years as a regular Marine bandsman and the ADM had 11-years, including a combat tour in Iraq as a 1stMarDiv bandsman.

drwilkinson
11-30-07, 10:19 PM
Starting in the "fleet" bands isn't the end of one's Marine Corps musical career. I happened to look into the MC Band's web site and noted that both drum majors were regular Marine bandsmen before joining The Big Band. The senior DM had 16-years as a regular Marine bandsman and the ADM had 11-years, including a combat tour in Iraq as a 1stMarDiv bandsman.

Thank you very much. I did not know that, but now after knowing that...it gives me some hope. :]