PDA

View Full Version : West grad back from Iraq feels he made a difference

thedrifter
11-25-07, 08:12 AM
West grad back from Iraq feels he made a difference

By Matt Cunningham

Staff Writer

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Three days into his third tour of duty in Iraq, U.S. Marine Stephen Schlau was promoted to the rank of sergeant. The next day, he became the leader of 18 Marines in a four-truck squad. During that day's patrol, he watched a suicide bomber strike an Iraqi police station 75 meters away.

Schlau, a 2004 Lakota West graduate, was not yet 21 years old.

"I thought the deployment was going to be hell after that day," he said.

In August, the lead Humvee in his squad hit an IED, trapping the Marines in a fire fight.

"The last time I saw some of my guys, they were in the back of a Blackhawk helicopter," he said. Of the 18 Marines under Schlau's command, five were unable to finish the tour due to combat injuries.

But the West Chester Twp. resident said he returned home Nov. 1 feeling he made a difference in Fallujah.

"I'm glad I went the third time, so I know we made a difference," he said.

He noted his squad uncovered 10 IEDs this tour, compared to the 189 they found during his second tour.

And he observed that the Iraqi police and local militias are fighting al-Qaida insurgents rather than U.S. forces.

"They're leaving us alone for the most part," he said.

Schlau has re-upped for a final, four-year assignment as sergeant of the barracks at Marine Barracks Washington, the oldest barracks in the Marines and the unit responsible for protecting the White House, the presidential helicopter, Marine One and Camp David.

"It's a distinct honor to be chosen," said Gunnery Sgt. Will Price, public affairs chief for the barracks.

He said he expects Schlau will be a strong leader when he arrives in March.

"I'm sure a lot of young Marines will be able to learn from the good sergeant's war fighting experience," he said.

After 2½ years as a Marine and 22 months face-to-face with the war, Schlau said he has a new understanding of the luxuries of American life, and feels he played a part in protecting them.

"I don't want the populace to have to live like (the conditions in Iraq)," Schlau said.

"That's why a lot of guys do it, so that others don't have to."

Contact this reporter at (513) 755-5127 or mcunningham@coxohio.com.

Ellie