PDA

View Full Version : Question about recruits during the holidays

recvaldiviagf
11-21-07, 07:31 AM
My boyfriend, Recruit Valdivia, is in boot camp now and will be throughout the holidays. I know that usually, they are not given phone calls until they have earned them, but during the holidays is that different or still on the same schedule?

Also, can you give me a little information as far as what the recruits do during thanksgiving and christmas? Is it just a normal day for them?

Thank you so much.

Stephanie:yes:

sparkie
11-21-07, 07:38 AM
I'm just guessing here,,, Special meal, Sunday routine. No idea about phone calls, Phones wern't invented when I was in.

Isrowei
11-21-07, 07:42 AM
Probably no phone calls. Sparkie is right on about the Sunday routine and a special meal. There is also a short period of time they are allowed to shop at the exhange and send gifts home. Short as in... an hour or two.

recvaldiviagf
11-21-07, 03:05 PM
thanks for all the help and support. i really appreciate it. i will pass this on to his parents. thanks again....

vision836
11-21-07, 03:55 PM
Back in 1984, yeah way back before play stations we did get to make a five minute call.

sparkie
11-21-07, 03:58 PM
Back????? in '84. Oh Lordie, I'm really feelin old now.

rvillac2
11-21-07, 04:18 PM
Back in '86 we were allowed to go onto the parade deck and call home at the top of our lungs. Might be hard to hear from Sacramento, though.

sparkie
11-21-07, 04:28 PM
"Back In" '69 we were allowed to make a head call, most days. [ Who can outdo that "Back In"??]

Zulu 36
11-21-07, 05:29 PM
"Back In" '69 we were allowed to make a head call, most days. [ Who can outdo that "Back In"??]

Can't beat that with a "Back in '71." ;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-21-07, 05:45 PM
Back in 1775 we didn't even get to send letters home.

sparkie
11-21-07, 05:53 PM
Echo, Back in 1775, you didn't know how to write,,,, anything changed since then?

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-21-07, 05:58 PM
i theenk i lurnt how tu rite purdy gud.

sparkie
11-21-07, 06:04 PM
Yea, You can now write like a poolee,;>

Wyoming
11-21-07, 06:13 PM

''Back in'' '65 - Boot!!:D

No phone calls / Sent a form letter home our 1st week (and prolly once a week thereafter) / Went straight to ITR / Got leave / Went to duty station / MCAF Santa Ana / OJT on 34's / Transistion to 46's / Headed to RVN

No crucible
No mess duty
No break between boot and ITR

One thing I remember, after a head call, someone always let their cover fall in the crapper. It was always tucked into the back of your utilities. The DI's had a field day with the poor souls with the 'wet heads'.

sparkie
11-21-07, 06:20 PM
Ok, fine. Call me boot. Big Al. I step down to you. [ You will be beat- Boot,LOL]

Tegan
11-25-07, 12:56 AM
we had a special meal with an extra special few more minutes to eat it.. surprisingly our series, 4008 & 4009, got 15 minute calling cards and got shuffled into a cold gym, stood in formation and got to call home or whomever answered the calls. some of us got to used the whole 15, some got only a minute. it allll depends on the drill instructors. I remember watching 2 or 3 movies.. i was there from december to march and experienced the holidays there. We got one sugar cookie, a movie with our OIC and then we cleaned our weapons for bigger part of the day.. along with classes.. since the DI's were taking their turns with time off, our sister platoon would come in and we would all be under watch of one or two DI's..

zackmerc
11-25-07, 02:01 PM
The Senior Drill Instructor usually decides what goes on. The chow hall will servve a special meal but the other things are optional. If he is feeling nice, he'll probably show a movie and take the recruits down to the MCC center to make a 15 minute phone call home. But I wouldn't count on that.

When Labor Day came up, it was our Senior's turn for duty. He was ****ed that he couldn't get a 96 so he slayed us. The other platoon got to have additional free time for that day but not us.