PDA

View Full Version : School of Infantry experiences

Ol Bob
11-20-07, 04:36 PM
I know there's a few topics on SOI, but before I went I was still in the dark about what to expect after reading them. So I figured I'd share a little of what I know from my experiences.

First off continue to PT while on boot leave, because the PT gets harder when you get to SOI at least for ITB. If you're infantry don't have you heart set on any particular MOS, because what you get is pretty much a roll of the dice depending on your GT score. I went in wanting to be an 0311, but was assigned 0341 mortarman, a lot of guys were crushed that they didn't get 0311 or 0331, but ended up loving their job. When you get there pay attention to the instructors when they tell you how to wear your ILBE packs, it makes life a whole lot easier if you wear it right. Be prepared for some yelling and screaming, they do treat you like recruits for the first few weeks, but it's not really like being treated like a recruit it's just how privates are treated so don't worry. And lastly enjoy it, it's a lot of fun and there's a lot of ammunition to play with. It gets better and better as the weeks progress.

Oh ya and now Infantry gets brand spankin new M16A4's with ACOGs and PEQ15 lasers, they kick a$$.

RuffNight2007
11-20-07, 10:41 PM
At MCT, our instructor Sgt. Johnson was known for calling us "devils" like... 24/7... thats basically all he said when speaking to us. Well anyway, when we were at the pits throwing grenades... he was one of the instructors that was in the pits assisting us MCT student Marines. Some idiot got nervous... and dropped the ****ing nade in the mother ****ing pit... right where him and Sgt. Johnson were at. Anyway... The instructor on the pit to the right of him told us what happened... and he said that all he heard was Sgt. Johnson yell "devillllll!" and seen legs fly into the air from when he tackled the poor private over the cement wall.

Warning MCT'ers. We don't PT... and when you get to MOS school you will be disappointed on your run time! You PT like twice in MCT.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-20-07, 11:19 PM
We were at MCT longer than you all are now- and we only went on one run. Time is compressed- they have to take care of what they have to take care of without enough time to do it. If your MOS school is anything like mine was, they'll make up for it there.

RuffNight2007
11-20-07, 11:32 PM
If your MOS school is anything like mine was, they'll make up for it there.

Cpl. is not lying. 8 mile group log runs that weigh 700 lbs? CHECK!

Ol Bob
11-21-07, 03:19 AM
To come to think about it I've never seen the MCTers PT, but I always figured they did it in the field. For you grunt hopefulls out there, expect to PT. It's nothing any new Marine can't handle it's just harder than boot. It can be kind of like a mini MCMAP endurance course sometimes, or just running 3 miles in boots and utes in the field. Good trash you trackin haha

Ol Bob
11-21-07, 03:19 AM
x2 post

Accord
11-21-07, 06:18 AM
Oh ya and now Infantry gets brand spankin new M16A4's with ACOGs and PEQ15 lasers, they kick a$$.
Actually they don't. What would kick ass is if the grunts actually clearing houses and doing real grunt things got the M4's instead of brass that will never leave the wire.

JBass
11-21-07, 07:21 AM
I was disappointed with SOI as far as room clearing and the "high speed low drag" stuff. they touched the surface of it, but we didnt do enough. MOUT needs to be like 2 weeks long and get into squad clearing and fire-team clearing.

Christ0ph
11-21-07, 07:32 AM
SOI was bull****. yea i know it was just the "Basics", but when I got to the fleet there was a lot of catching up to do knowledge-wise. A lot of what I learned at SOI went straight out the window as well when i hit the fleet, i was told to pretty much forget everything I learned at SOI. Especially MOUT.

Ol Bob
11-21-07, 12:10 PM
Actually they don't. What would kick ass is if the grunts actually clearing houses and doing real grunt things got the M4's instead of brass that will never leave the wire.

The A4 that I drew from the armory still had the serial number sticker on the lower, it literally came right out of the box. I broke it down shotgun style and it appeared to still have the lube from the factory still on it. I haven't seen an M4 whatsoever, I'm disappointed. We do have a couple M32 multiple shot grenade launchers in our squadbay WSA though.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-21-07, 01:46 PM
Don't be disappointed about not getting your hands on the M4. In all honesty they aren't that great. Being a little shorter isn't a bad thing in CQB, but it isn't as if it turns it into an MP-5 or anything.

Zulu 36
11-21-07, 02:34 PM
We were at MCT longer than you all are now- and we only went on one run. Time is compressed- they have to take care of what they have to take care of without enough time to do it. If your MOS school is anything like mine was, they'll make up for it there.

Back in the day when SOI was ITR, my company ran everywhere. To chow, back from chow, to classes, up hill, down hill. It didn't matter. We didn't do formal PT, but they kept us fit in other ways. Nothing like mountain running to keep the ol' cardio up to snuff.

FistFu68
11-21-07, 02:53 PM
:evilgrin: I FOUND "ITR"AT CAMP GEIGHER TEN TIMES MORE DEMANDING PHSICALLY @ MENTALLY,BEING A RIFLEMAN (0311) WAS A FRIGGING BEAR.THEM M-I4'S BECAME THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!S/F THAT:beer: :iwo: