PDA

View Full Version : I am loosing my motivation.

Sandoval
11-14-07, 06:37 PM
Well, it's been about 2 weeks and the recruiters are working on a waiver for this felony I had. I know it might take some time but my dedication that I put forth so far is slowly fading away. You see I have been going to poole functions and weekly p.t for about a year and a half maybe even a little bit more. I get really worried that I will not be able to enlist in your guys beloved Corps. I had a back up plan to enlist in the army if my waiver doesnt get approved and after the army try again for the Marine Corps. I graduated High school, finished probation 6 months early, got character references, wrote a "Why I want to be a Marine" letter, and have a little bit of college behind me. I read posts on here that say you all dont need people like me in your Corps. Any words of advice?

sparkie
11-14-07, 06:42 PM
A felony is a big a$$ thing, BUT, If you loose your motovation, Meebe you never had any. ADAPT.

Sandoval
11-14-07, 06:51 PM
Well as i read alot of fourms and people tell me that I cant get in with that felony it just gets me down.

jrhd97
11-14-07, 07:01 PM
Suck it up. there is always a chance the waiver will come through, it may depend on what the felonie was for if you get the waiver. Ever thought you may be getting strung along to see if you have the motivation? Keep bothering any body who might ba able to help speed it up, make it clear you are not going away.

Sandoval
11-14-07, 07:07 PM
Hmm never thought of that. What should I do Corporal? as in the terms of bothering them keep calling and going over to the R.S?

jrhd97
11-14-07, 07:12 PM
Yep, find out who you need to wright, keep going to the R.S. Just be a pain. you will get an answer.

jrhd97
11-14-07, 07:17 PM
A Marine I was stationed with in Oki. rotated to Cherry Point. Hurt his knee and received a medical. A year later he decided he had enough of civilian life and wished to go back to the Corps.
That man had to jump through a bunch of hoops, wright letters, and wait. He stayed persistent, and was alowed to re-enlist after 9 months of going back to the recruiter. He stayed persistant, bothered every body he could think of. It paid off.

BR34
11-14-07, 07:31 PM
Took me nearly 2 years just to get into the DEP. Had to get a tattoo removed, get waivers for other tattoos, and get waivers for my criminal past. The wait was a small price to pay. Think of it as an investment.

2 weeks has you unmotivated? You've got to be kidding me!

rvillac2
11-14-07, 08:42 PM
Do whatever it takes to stay involved with the pool and be around motivated people. Their motivation is infectious.

Our uniforms are pristine but most of the time our past isn't. Most of us weren't altar boys and personally, I would love to have a former thug watching my back than the boy scout.

The good news is that you really don't have a felony. By definition a felony sentences you to at least a year in prison followed by parole. If you simply went through probation, it was knocked down to a misdemeanor. If you didn't even report to a probation officer then you were on informal probation, not formal which is more restrictive.

Don't lose hope or motivation. A waiver is still possible.

Phantom Blooper
11-14-07, 09:09 PM
I would love to have a former thug watching my back than the boy scout.

Unless it comes to crossing the street, if your a widdle old lady a boy scout maybe your better bet.:evilgrin:

yellowwing
11-14-07, 09:19 PM
Hang in there Sandoval! Last year we helped a poolee get his waiver. There are more than a few former thugs in our ranks.

Take a look at this recent Corps Story:
Former Gang Member Becomes Iraq War Hero (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56951). If you don't already know, the Navy Cross is something spectacular not given lightly by Our Beloved Corps.

Sandoval
11-14-07, 09:27 PM
Thank you guys alot. I can only hope and wait.

Sandoval
11-14-07, 09:33 PM
ah yes great book! well I liked it anyways. Hopefully the Officer incharge of the waiver is in a good mood. haha no but really guys I have been working hard, I am not saying that I am not the only...

Big Jim
11-14-07, 09:46 PM
Stay strong and motivated...DON'T GIVE UP!!! You'll get there, just stay motivated...don't let them see you sweat! Have confidence and faith this is just another step to get where you want to be...its just another link in the chain...just another thing you have to accomnplsh! Have a strong frame of mind and you'll do it! The Corps will show you the way and teach you.....!!!

GOOD MOTIVATION!!! SUCK IT UP!!!!!!!!

LeonardLawrence
11-14-07, 11:03 PM
sandoval,

Maybe it's not worth it. You could always join the Army.

If you take that attitude, you won't prevail. Buck up, saddle up and make it happen, don't sit around and wait for it to come to you.

Motivation! I sprinkle you with motivation dust and all that chit...

PLAY HARD OR GO HOME!

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-14-07, 11:10 PM
Two things- it is up to you to keep your motivation up. No matter how bad you think things are now, it will get worse if you're allowed to enlist. If this is taking your motivation away, you're going to have problems later.

Second, I have always been about as far from a thug as you can get- and I was in fact a scout (explorer- not regular boy scouts- if it matters). I'd be happy to show you all the error in your thinking if you'd like- you might be surprise! ;)

Phantom Blooper
11-15-07, 07:06 AM
Motivation is within! A Marine drill instructor can give a recruit motivation for minutes to hours or months. But as the other Marines have stated it is totally up to you to keep your motivation.

Waiting for a waiver is minuscule compared to the waiting that you will do when you hit the FMF or wing. The saying of,"Hurry up and wait!" Is fact not fiction.Just be thankful that you are waiting for only one waiver.

Persistence is the key...show the recruiter that you have the intestinal fortitude to take on any challenge. Marines or potential Marines are not quitters! If after all your waiver appeals come back and in the off chance they are not approved then I would suggest if you want to continue your quest for service to your country then speak to other armed forces recruiters.

But give the Marine Corps system its due! Without knowing your situation and without belittling you about your past...YOU asked the Marine Corps for the waiver not the other way around. So keep the faith! If you are able to enlist,this will be a minor hurdle to overcome compared to the hurdles that you will endure on an enlistment hitch in the Marine Corps!

If life deals you lemons...ask for salt and tequila to go with it!

You should read the Motivation Thread started by SSGT Jim Nelson in the Poolee Hall of Fame. Your problem is minor compared to what those poolees,recruits and Marines have endured and ultimately prevailed!

:evilgrin:

Sandoval
11-15-07, 08:35 AM
I just woke up, and all your words make me want to go do some pull ups or go run to some candence tapes. haha really I am going to go to the R.S today and see whats up.

killerinstinct
11-15-07, 09:14 AM
Well as i read alot of fourms and people tell me that I cant get in with that felony it just gets me down.

Well as long as you want it thats somethign which would let a recruiter know you do and work hard for you to obtain it.

Phantom Blooper
11-15-07, 09:33 AM
I am going to go to the R.S today and see whats up.

When you see the recruiter and come back home keep in touch with him on a regular basis.

If there is something that I really want or business that I personally need to care of I make the phone lines ring like the switchboard at a house of ill repute on a payday Friday for a 96 hour pass!

Persistence....ask and if it is still in the MEPS waiver...ask again tomorrow morning.

A felony conviction is a black mark on your life record. However in my feelings unless you are are a murderer or abusing pervert those marks can be erased. Follow the path of the straight and narrow to get back on track. Show the recruiter that you want to live the life of a Marine. Keep your nose clean and do what is necessary and do it. :evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
11-15-07, 10:49 AM
Sandoval,

Quit playing Blast Billiards and go see that recruiter!:evilgrin:

Sandoval
11-15-07, 12:40 PM
Sorry about that Staff Sergeant. Well I went and they havn't heard anything on the waiver. Tonight is P.T. and I will just let my frustrations out on the pull ups :mad:. I know that when I do go to bootcamp I am going to bust my a$$ off because I know that my recruiters helped me get to where I am and show the officer who hopefully approves my waiver it was worth it.

Marine84
11-16-07, 08:17 AM
Failure is not an option.

Sandoval
11-16-07, 01:25 PM
Hey guys thanks for you great words. I will be going to meps pretty soon! I just kept my head up and look foward. Thank you guys!

Sgt Leprechaun
11-19-07, 12:31 AM
Good. Let us know what is going on. Keep plugging away at this. Stay hungry.

rheinmark187
12-12-07, 12:42 PM
I'll tell you what, My Platoon Guide was one of the few who got a felony waiver (he was a linebacker for an Arena football team, and had some college behind him) and he was really squared away. I saw him in the fleet a few times, and he was doing very well, meritoriously promoted twice. He ended up getting out after his first enlistment, and is probably doing okay.

Just do your best. If it's still a problem, you could do a short contract with the Army and once you've proven that you're reliable, you could go on to the Marine Corps. To be honest, with the war situation starting to wind down in Iraq, it might still be your best bet to try for the Marines NOW. If there's less of a need in a few years and recruitment goes through the roof, the Marines might cut back the waivers drastically.