PDA

View Full Version : What do you Suggest?

Dinked
11-11-07, 08:50 PM
That I start working on before I go to bootcamp. I know I didn't sign up yet, i'm to young but I want to get a good head start.
So far for PT I'm doing alot of Push-ups, Situps, Pull ups, Mountain Climb, the thing where you lay on your back and move your legs up and down, and the thing where you stand up then drop to the ground pushup position then sit up position etc. I'm going to start running tomorrow.

What else should i be doing? I know all the drills.
Any advice?

Big Jim
11-11-07, 09:20 PM
Just run, (alot), and lift weights for strength...the more stamina and strength you have before you go, the easier bootcamp will be...I promise you that! You should be running at least 3 times a week for at least 3 miles for time record. If you can run 3 miles under 18 minutes, 20 pulls from a dead hang and 80 crunches in under 2 minutes...you're doing excellent! If or when you do ship out to boot, you'll do alot more than just that...everyday!! Hope this helps...good luck!

Dinked
11-11-07, 10:50 PM
Yes it did help, and im currently lifting weights in Weight Training for High School. Thank You Sir!

Phantom Blooper
11-12-07, 05:47 AM
Any advice?

I know all the drills.

Dinked,

You went to "boot camp" according to your first post for the infraction that you had and did your time. I am not harping on that.

But,I will tell you that the drills that you did in the "Correctional Boot Camp" is a different enity...than the drilling that you will receive in Marine Corps boot camp. DON'T forget what you learned but,be open to the fact that you do not KNOW the United States Marine Corps drill manual from cover to cover. Drill Instructors go through MANY classroom and hands on hours to learn how to drill a platoon of recruits.....and without being a drill instructor....only a Sgt instructor at OCS for a short time,I may be remiss in saying this but I don't think so. The drill instructors drilling techniques were not perfected until they actually started drilling a platoon of recruits.

A saying of old..."You can do it the easy way,the hard way or the Marine Corps way." And nine times out of ten the Marine Corps way prevails.

Keep the faith and as far as the PT routines go do a search in the Poolee Hall of Fame and many poolees and now Marines,active,retired and former Marines have gave excellent advice and ways to help prepare yourself for your tour of duty.:evilgrin:

Dinked
11-12-07, 05:45 PM
I wont argue with you but it was ran by the National Guard, and I know its not the Drill manual and stuff. It was pretty basic though we just basically learned all things needed for Marching, Attention, Present Arms, About Face, Left Face, Parade Rest, the other Parade one, Cover, etc. But yeah I understand what youre talking about and youre right. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you sir.

Phantom Blooper
11-12-07, 08:20 PM
The National Guard is needed and a lot of Marines leave the Marines and stay out a while and for some reason can't get back in the Marine Corps because of staying out to long or other reasons. So there are quite a few Marines in the National Guard.So you may have been drilled or herded by a United States Marine.

But,the National Guards drill is not and never will be like the United States Marine Corps.

If you were drilled by National Guardsman that were former Marines you may be one or two steps ahead of your peers. However, the Marine Corps is and always will be many cuts above the other branch of armed forces in drill,uniforms and anything else military related. Our standards are much higher in everything and if you walk down the street...a Marine can be picked out of crowd in civilian clothes (besides haircuts )for the military bearing and presence.:evilgrin:

sparkie
11-12-07, 08:33 PM
Phantom,,, I agree, He11, One little Russian rope could loose you 3 days liberty. What is a Russian Rope, You Younguns????? [ A Marine is squaired away at all times]