PDA

View Full Version : What's the smallest unit that can be awarded a unit award

Protoman2050
11-08-07, 01:50 PM
What's the smallest unit that can be awarded a unit award? And, for that matter, what's the biggest? I think the whole Corps should've been awarded the PUC, multiple times, for it's actions throughout it's history.

rvillac2
11-08-07, 02:10 PM
That's nice, kid. Earning the right to wear the uniform and EGA is enough for us individual Marines.

As for the entire Corps, we recognize our history with the Marine Corps Battle Colors.

And to answer your question, most unit citations are given at the battalion level. Actions by smaller units are usually recognized at an individual level. There are exceptions, of course, but I cannot list them.

Protoman2050
11-08-07, 02:34 PM
That's nice, kid. Earning the right to wear the uniform and EGA is enough for us individual Marines.

As for the entire Corps, we recognize our history with the Marine Corps Battle Colors.

And to answer your question, most unit citations are given at the battalion level. Actions by smaller units are usually recognized at an individual level. There are exceptions, of course, but I cannot list them.

You guys still deserve a PUC, or the Thanks of the United States Congress, or something!

And this isn't counting all the foreign unit awards you Marines deserve! The British Victoria Cross --or at least the Conspicious Gallantry or Military Cross-- should've been collectively awarded, the French Legion of Honor should've been collectively awarded, lots of stuff.

If I managed to accomplish my aspiration of becoming a Marine 2ndLt., and a squad in my command performed an exceptional act of heroism and gallantry, --I'd request that the squads' NCOICs to design colors for their squads when I first assume command of my platoon-- I'd recommend that they be awarded the PUC or NUC.

BTW, how are unit citations and individual awards awarded? Does the CO just award it, or what? Never figured out that process.

Protoman2050
11-08-07, 02:41 PM

WOW, you Marines have A LOT of streamers on your colors: http://tmg110.tripod.com/usmcst.htm

So, why aren't they attached to the colors? Why is that? And why doesn't every Marine, along w/ the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, get the ribbons for the unit awards the Corps earned, when they graduate Boot Camp or Officer Candidate School?

David Jameson
11-08-07, 02:47 PM
I like this kid. LOL and yes I probly should get the:D VC along with other honors an what have you's lol This kid is def. 2nd LT material

Protoman2050
11-08-07, 03:09 PM
I like this kid. LOL and yes I probly should get the:D VC along with other honors an what have you's lol This kid is def. 2nd LT material

You really mean that? Thanks a bunch!

Now I need to get physically prepared. I started doing crunches until failure, and running on alternate days. Now I need to secure a Marine Corps regulation height --what IS the regulation height?-- pull-up bar, and do dead-hang pull-ups until failure, along w/ the crunches.

If I DID become an officer of Marines, and I served a tour as an exchange officer w/ the Royal Marines, wouldn't it bring great honor, not only to myself, but to the Corps, the Armed Forces, and America as a whole, if I won the CGC or MC for gallantry in combat? I'd be the only American so far to win that award, and the second or third American to win the latter.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-08-07, 03:16 PM
The height of a pullup bar is unimportant. As long as you can hang from it with arms extended without your feet touching the ground you'll be fine.

Now my question, why would you want to be an American Marine to serve with the Brits? Nothing wrong with the Royal Marines, but I can't imagine wanting to serve with them would I could be with US Marines.

Protoman2050
11-08-07, 03:21 PM
The height of a pullup bar is unimportant. As long as you can hang from it with arms extended without your feet touching the ground you'll be fine.

Now my question, why would you want to be an American Marine to serve with the Brits? Nothing wrong with the Royal Marines, but I can't imagine wanting to serve with them would I could be with US Marines.

To experience the operations and methodology of our British brethren, b/c we'll most likely be working w/ them in Iraq and Afghanistan. And to experience the culture.

rvillac2
11-08-07, 05:14 PM
You really mean that? Thanks a bunch!

Yeah, we like you, like a puppy wagging it's tail.

We are making light of the fact that you have juvenile dreams of being a decorated war hero. That's OK. All kids have dreams.

What actually seperates you is that you're quite literate and write very clearly which belies your true age. If you were 21, we'd tag you as a starry eyed wannabee. Since you're only 16, we'll simply say "that's nice, kid" and let you dream on. ; )

Time to lock'er up.

Protoman2050
11-08-07, 05:34 PM
Yeah, we like you, like a puppy wagging it's tail.

We are making light of the fact that you have juvenile dreams of being a decorated war hero. That's OK. All kids have dreams.

What actually seperates you is that you're quite literate and write very clearly which belies your true age. If you were 21, we'd tag you as a starry eyed wannabee. Since you're only 16, we'll simply say "that's nice, kid" and let you dream on. ; )

Time to lock'er up.

That's okay by me...at least you Marines are honest and forthright. Unlike the guys on other NGs, who curse at me for no real reason, esp. the guys on certain Usenet NGs...horrible people they are. I'll always envy you Marines...at least, until I become one.

Do you think the Corps'll replace the M4 carbine w/ the superior HK416/7, since the latter rifles (or are they carbines? I forgot) don't clog up as easy, due to the gas feeding system, whereas the M4 uses the blowback system? http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/02/atCarbine070219/

Maybe my contribution to the Corps'll be convincing the Commandant --or whichever one of his subs who decides what's in the Corps' armory-- to replace the M4 with the HK416/7.

If I become a Marine, I'll be sastisfied w/ having earned the title "officer of Marines"; everything else'll be just icing on the cake.

LeonardLawrence
11-08-07, 11:49 PM
protoman,

I would try calling several Marine Corps bases and ask them what their pull up bar height is. I would call at least 15 but the more you call, the more accurate the answer will be. From there you can easily determine the average height of a pull up bar. This may come in handy later on for a promotional question when you go to pick up Lance Corporal or Colonel.

Good Luck. :beer:

Protoman2050
11-08-07, 11:56 PM
protoman,

I would try calling several Marine Corps bases and ask them what their pull up bar height is. I would call at least 15 but the more you call, the more accurate the answer will be. From there you can easily determine the average height of a pull up bar. This may come in handy later on for a promotional question when you go to pick up Lance Corporal or Colonel.

Good Luck. :beer:

Well, I don't particularly want to waste an SDIs time. But from what I've seen, the bar is around 4.5 inches higher then your head. So, 6.375' for me.

BTW, why is USMC OCS 2-4wks shorter then Boot Camp? Never figured that out; if anything, OCS should be LONGER then Boot Camp, not shorter.

SlingerDun
11-09-07, 12:11 AM
I recieved a MUC and the MCEM serving in a detachment of about 40 Marines.

--->Dave

Protoman2050
11-09-07, 12:31 AM
I recieved a MUC and the MCEM serving in a detachment of about 40 Marines.

--->Dave

Good work, Marine! What did you and your unit do?

SlingerDun
11-09-07, 12:37 AM
we saddled up and stood by as general quarters sounded and the Helicopters crashed and burned attempting to rescue the American hostages in Iranhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Protoman2050
11-09-07, 12:39 AM
we saddled up and stood by as general quarters sounded and the Helicopters crashed and burned attempting to rescue the American hostages in Iranhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Could you elaborate?

SlingerDun
11-09-07, 02:20 AM
General Quarters General Quarters All Hands Man Your Battle Stations! This Is Not A Drill!http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

Covey_Rider
11-09-07, 03:44 AM
Ok to answer some of your questions...

Yes OCS is shorter then boot camp...But that is just one stage in becoming an officer. After OCS you go to TBS which is 6 months long and then to your MOS school. So when you put it together, school to become an officer is much longer.

Only part of the Marine Corps is issued M-4's. Some parts get issued M16-A4's and some M16-A2's. M4's ARE gas operated, not blowback. There is a gas tube that travels through the forearm of the rifle...the downside is that it is very thin and difficult to clean. SOCOM which Marines are a part of...has just started to switch to the SCAR-L. Still shoots a 5.56mm round but it is easier to clean and more reliable when dirty.

If you become a Marine you will find out that most Marines are not ribbon chasers. Most care nothing about what they wear on their chest unless it's a high award. They main care is that you can do your job and take care of the Marines around you.

As stated before. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are motivated. Don't loose sight of your dreams. There will be times when that's all you've got.

davblay
11-09-07, 07:49 AM
What's the smallest unit that can be awarded a unit award? And, for that matter, what's the biggest? I think the whole Corps should've been awarded the PUC, multiple times, for it's actions throughout it's history.
Mods..it seems that the original question had been answered! I think it's time to close this thread! What do you say? :confused:

Achped
11-09-07, 08:10 AM
Am I the only one enjoying reading these posts? Hahaha

Quinbo
11-09-07, 11:18 AM
For what it is worth .... my company in California participated in a 6 week long JTF exercise and was thus awarded the JMUC. I have never heard of a unit smaller than company receiving a unit award. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Even a fire team is considered a unit, but I've never heard of it. I can't find anything indicating what size large or small is set for receiving a unit award.

Protoman2050
11-09-07, 02:09 PM
Ok to answer some of your questions...

Yes OCS is shorter then boot camp...But that is just one stage in becoming an officer. After OCS you go to TBS which is 6 months long and then to your MOS school. So when you put it together, school to become an officer is much longer.

Only part of the Marine Corps is issued M-4's. Some parts get issued M16-A4's and some M16-A2's. M4's ARE gas operated, not blowback. There is a gas tube that travels through the forearm of the rifle...the downside is that it is very thin and difficult to clean. SOCOM which Marines are a part of...has just started to switch to the SCAR-L. Still shoots a 5.56mm round but it is easier to clean and more reliable when dirty.

If you become a Marine you will find out that most Marines are not ribbon chasers. Most care nothing about what they wear on their chest unless it's a high award. They main care is that you can do your job and take care of the Marines around you.

As stated before. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are motivated. Don't loose sight of your dreams. There will be times when that's all you've got.

There's another reason why we award ribbons, besides recognizing heroism, that Napoleon discovered: people love getting recognized and getting trinkets...give them their 15 minutes of fame and their trinkets, and they're probably going to keep up their good works. Campaign ribbons were also first awarded by Napoleon...his men LOVED geeting them, and they wanted more. He said "With a handful of ribbons, I can conqueror all of Europe".