PDA

View Full Version : A Mother & Dress Blues.....

Phantom Blooper
11-05-07, 06:19 AM
Found this on the BVA site and I feel it too good not to share! Semper Fi! and RIP Mrs. Johnson!:flag:

Sgt. **** and troops,
I have been reading the news letter and let me tell you, the stories never fail to leave me awed and proud. I wanted to share a story that happened about three weeks ago. My daughter is in a program the goes around and helps out the Elderly, house cleaning, yard work, and just plain visiting. Well, my daughter who is 13, came home from one of her visits to a nearby nursing home and asked me a question that I myself had wondered about.

She said "Dad, can you still fit into your Dress Blues?" Being a good Marine, I said "Of course, but I might need a new belt, why?" A shrug was all I got in response.

About a week later, I was getting the mail and there was a notice that we had a package at the post office. When I got there I was greeted by a Semper Fi from my postman, and handed my package at my request. I was shocked to see it address to my daughter and from Sgt. ****. Inside was a new Dress Blue belt and a shiny NCO buckle.

If that wasn't surprising enough, my daughters explanation was. She said that a lady at the home that she had visited told her that she really love Marines in Dress Blues. So, that Saturday, I sucked in my gut, got a hair cut, and with pride that I had all but forgotten about, went with my daughter on her visits.

When we got to the nursing home she took me straight to Mrs. Johnson's room. Unfortunately, she wasn't there. My daughter asked the orderly where she was and we were informed that Mrs. Johnson had passed. He said that he had something that she had left for my daughter, He came back with an envelope that said "Sara's Dad".

I opened it up and there was a note and a Marine Corps good conduct medal. The note said "I wanted you to have this because you'll remember. It belonged to my son, he died in Beirut. Semper Fi, Elena Johnson. Lcpl Randall A. Johnson."

I could only think of one thing to do with it, I pinned it on my daughter and told her about Beirut and what had happened to the Marines in the Embassy. She asked why I was giving it to her and I said " So that you'll remember and because you've earned it."

Thanks, Romie

:evilgrin:

jinelson
11-05-07, 07:06 AM
Thanks for sharing this outstanding story. That one got to me.

Jim