PDA

View Full Version : Door Gunner

RCM
10-23-07, 12:34 PM
Can I become a door gunner on the helicopters by being a mechanic? I was told I can't be flight crew because of my DUI, so my next option was aviation mechanics. I was wondering if that was a fun job and if I still get to fly. Thank you

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-23-07, 01:23 PM
If you can't be flight crew, you can't be flight crew. I am sure someone from the aviation world can better answer your question, but I would assume your answer is no.

Wyoming
10-23-07, 04:55 PM

I don't remember that a DUI was a disqualifier for gunner.

Of course, in '66 all mechanics were Crew Chiefs, eventually, and the rest of the Squadron were gunners, E-1 to the Top.

JordanB
10-27-07, 09:13 AM
I had a buddy who signed an open aviation contract where he could be a mechanic, crew cheif(door gunner), landing systems etc based on the needs of the corps...crew cheif is a really hard mos to get assigned, and if you cant get a specific contract that locks you as a crew cheif they'll probably just end up makeing you a mechanic. In short, dont sign any contract unless you are willing to do whatever job is on it. With me I wanted to be an assault man in the infantry, signed open infantry, and now they have me as a rifleman even though my asvab scores were high as hell. I dont regret it though because riflemen and assault men both get to kick down doors, but an aviation mechanic and a crew cheif are 2 completely diffrent mos's.

RCM
10-28-07, 02:54 PM
Yeah the main thing I want to do is be a door gunner and my recruiter told me the best way is by doing the mechanic part then request to be a gunner when I start to move up. I don't know if hes just saying that to humor me or what.

SgtHMH
10-28-07, 08:53 PM
How's it going ? first you have to be in a Helicopter Squadron on a Huey, CH-46, CH-53E, also the new Ospreys might need Gunners. The true term of Door Gunner is Airiel Gunner. Anyone in the Squadron can be a Gunner, you just have to pass the flight quals, med and swim. You have to pass the Helo dunker and the Heads test. After you pass this you go to Airiel Gunner School and learn the weapons. How do I know, Crew Chief Door Gunner SAR Hueys and CH-53Es. You just have to pass the test and qual to be a Airiel Gunner. Door Gunner sounds more hardcore.

Semper Fi

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
01-14-08, 04:20 AM
If you want to be a gunner, its either go mech and homegrown or crew chief. Go with crew chief and try fo Hueys, which are the best. And DUI shouldn't be too much of a problem, you can waiver anything. I just got one and didn't lose my job, although I am already a crew chief and was when i got my DUI, hence the whole PFC thing again. But if you want it just do what you gotta do and get it.