View Full Version : Marine adds toughness to Panthers' 'D'

thedrifter
10-19-07, 07:21 AM
Marine adds toughness to Panthers' 'D'
Robinson's military experience created a disciplined player

Friday, Oct 19, 2007 - 12:06 AM

By SIMON BROWN
TIMES-DISPATCH CORRESPONDENT

It was March 2003, and Cpl. Ernest Robinson was part of a Marine Corps unit assigned to guard about 150 prisoners captured during the invasion of Iraq.

Suddenly, Robinson was under fire from snipers and mortars, the sources of which were unknown. As per Marine Corps protocol, he was not allowed to return fire until the source of the threat could be determined.

"You try to remain calm but there are lots of bullets flying around," Robinson said. "I was not scared; I paid close attention to what was happening."

Eventually the threat was neutralized, and Robinson and his fellow Marines completed their mission.

Robinson has been a Marine for five years and was a member of the initial ground forces to invade Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Now in the Marine Corps reserves, Robinson is a freshman linebacker at Virginia Union. After graduating from North Stafford High School in 2000, the New Orleans native put his football career on hold to follow his father's footsteps into the Marines.

While he said he has no regrets about anything in his life, Robinson said serving in Iraq was difficult.

"It was very real," Robinson, 24, said. "I was 20 and it made me very appreciative of how life is back at home. Being a Marine, we have a lot of training. But you can never really prepare for combat. We were kind of prepared - as prepared as we could be."

Robinson described his time in Iraq as very harsh.

"We had to make due with very little, including unarmored vehicles and only one protective vest per soldier," Robinson said.

But Robinson said being a Marine has many positives, including making him a better football player.

"Playing football definitely brings out a lot of camaraderie," he said. "Being able to react, to follow orders from my coaches and the quarterback, and share experiences, both good and bad, with a team."

Robinson played linebacker in high school, and even though Virginia Union coach Arrington Jones III said linebacker is Robinson's best position, he plays a little bit of everything including tight end, offensive line, fullback, halfback, and special teams.

Jones said it's likely Robinson will see more time as a tight end. Robinson's playing time has limited because of a pinched nerve in his shoulder.

Robinson, who's committed to the Marine Corps for the next three years, is a double major in psychology and criminal justice.

Robinson said he hopes to play professional football after graduating. But if that does not work out he is considering a career in the Marines or law-enforcement.

Jones, however, is in no rush to see Robinson go.

"He's a great kid and a great person," Jones said "He comes to work with his hat and lunch pail and goes to work. We're blessed to have him."

Ellie