PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty Infantry

af1892ad
10-16-07, 10:13 PM
I chose this MOS because i always heard that marine infantry was the elite of the elite. MY dad wants to to choose financial management under reserves to go to college. Im picking my mos tomorrow and my question is to any infantry marines, is there ever a day youw ake upa nd wish you chose a different MOS? like am i making a mistake by following my dream of infantry?

smoking gunz
10-16-07, 10:58 PM
To be honest yes. You see how other Marines have it easier than you. But that what makes you a grunt and when you go to mainside youll see the difference. No offense to other mos's but infantry guys are usually more disciplined and wear their uniform a little bit crisper. This was my observation at Camp Pendleton so i can only talk about my observations there. I recently got out and would have never picked another mos. You may sometimes regret it at the time but other times you dont especially when you get out and look back at your time in.

smoking gunz
10-16-07, 11:02 PM
You are not making a mistake by going infantry i reccomend it to anyone who wants to join the corps. Go infantry and get the experience of a lifetime. I have no regrets looking back at my time in. Just know youll have it rougher as a grunt.

killerinstinct
10-17-07, 10:55 AM
Try it out man I was in the wing and from what people say its far from the grunt world though we are all there to support them.

But in my opinion go active and then you can lat move into something else like finance if you want after your first enlistment seems like you shouldnt pass up an opportunity to only regret it..

Also i'd also suggest to go active. More fun and you experience more.

LeonardLawrence
10-17-07, 11:24 AM
af1892ad,

Think of it this way. When an officer goes to OCS, the competition is for the ground unit, infantry spots. Those spots go to the top of the class.

Not saying the life is easy...cause by no means is it....but there are no regrets....and being able to say you are an 03 is the best!:D

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-17-07, 01:30 PM
Infantry guys wear their uniform more crisply? Not in my experience- I think that was the one area we had them beat.

Anyway, don't listen to anyone else- you are the one living your life, so live it like you want. In all honesty, every Marine in the history of the Marine Corps has at times thought they should have been doing something else. When you're getting screwed over, you'll see someone living the easy life and wish you were in their place. What you didn't see was them getting screwed 10 minutes earlier.

killerinstinct
10-17-07, 02:04 PM
In all honesty, every Marine in the history of the Marine Corps has at times thought they should have been doing something else. When you're getting screwed over, you'll see someone living the easy life and wish you were in their place. What you didn't see was them getting screwed 10 minutes earlier.

I agree the green weenie doesnt discriminate and it's one where you just have to grit your teeth and endure and always know it can come back when you arent expecting it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-17-07, 03:07 PM
The green weenie gets everyone- usually somewhat often. It is one of those things that makes us Marines.

sgt tony
10-17-07, 03:34 PM
If you think that you want the easy way then go something other than a grunts life. If you think you are going to possible make it your life then go grunt and you can change to the others later. I went 03 and loved it but after 4 years and I decided to stay then I went to a different field for my future.

SlingerDun
10-17-07, 03:51 PM
If you think you are going to possible make it your life then go grunt and you can change to the others later.Good idea even if you dont plan on making the Corps a career. If you chose or land in a different MOS and regret not chosing infantry 'your dream' it could be a very tough transition going grunt after spending a few years in a non related MOS. Many MOS's you can study and train for in a civilian capacity later in life but i dont think community college yet offers infantry 101 for those who missed the boat.

--->Dave

semperfi170
10-17-07, 04:55 PM
It is your life, pick what feels right to you! I do know quite a few grunts that reenlisted after their first tour to move into different MOS that provided a basis for a civilian career later on. Also, it is harder to go to 0311 if you start out in a non-related MOS as was previously stated.

I disagree with the looking crisper in uniform, experience over 12 years and being at different bases was that the same percentage need corrective action to ensure they are squared away. Overall, Marines take pride in their appearance.

A reminder: Marine is always capitalized when refering to anybody in the USMC, and even when it is used in "Marine infantry". It reflects pride in self and our beloved Corps.:usmc:

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-17-07, 04:56 PM
I ran into that problem myself. I don't know if the rule is still in place, but it used to be that you could lat move out of the grunts, but not into the grunts. If you are a pogue of any sort the only way to turn into an 03 was to go to the reserves and do it.

Since seniority means so much in the infantry and it is something you really cannot learn in school, that makes sense to me. If a Sgt just got my MOS we could help teach him how to use our radios. He would still be a Sgt and set watch schedules etc. but wouldn't yet have the knowledge of our MOS. In the infantry that wouldn't work as well.

BR34
10-17-07, 06:39 PM
I'm Financial Management (as you call it). I have no complaints about it. Not just anyone can do it, which is why there are only 1200 of us in the Marine Corps.

Something I read in the Marine Corps Times today is that it was just approved that recruits going 03 have to sign a 6 year active contract as opposed to the standard 4.

Marine84
10-17-07, 07:39 PM
I LOVE grunts - they try to be all hard and what not but, some of them have the biggest hearts.

SlingerDun
10-17-07, 08:46 PM
I'm Financial Management (as you call it)also or formerly known as dispursing???
Something I read in the Marine Corps Times today is that it was just approved that recruits going 03 have to sign a 6 year active contract as opposed to the standard 4.ouch thats harsh

BR34
10-17-07, 09:03 PM
also or formerly known as dispursing???
Also known as, yes.

ouch thats harsh

I wasn't saying it's harsh. I was letting the young future Marine know of a change that was recently (as of today) made to the 03 MOS.

SlingerDun
10-17-07, 09:07 PM
No, no you weren't saying it was harsh. I was

--->Dave

BR34
10-17-07, 09:07 PM
Ah, I thought that was sarcasm.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-17-07, 09:27 PM
It looks like they'd be much better off to be on the 4 year contract so they could reenlist for the new bonus.

LeonardLawrence
10-17-07, 09:29 PM
E4B-
I think the issue is running out of Sgts, Cpls to fill billets. With the six year they have more promotions to the rank and opportunity to hold the leadership billets in an infantry squad....

and a six year commitment :D

af1892ad
10-17-07, 09:36 PM
Ya i decided on infantry, there were only a few slots elft and its also soemthing i always wanted to do, way i see it is that once i leave my dads got no control, and thank you all for the help you really helped me make my decision

BR34
10-17-07, 09:42 PM
E4B-
I think the issue is running out of Sgts, Cpls to fill billets. With the six year they have more promotions to the rank and opportunity to hold the leadership billets in an infantry squad....

and a six year commitment :D

Exactly. The artile said there's around 2900 Sgts. in the 03 MOS but only about 900 actually attached to infantry units. The others are off doing b-billets.

So the leadership is trying to hold on to Marines longer by doing this, giving a 6K RE-enlistment bonus ( which I think is way too low ), and meritoriously promoting 200 Cpls a year to the rank of Sgt.

*Disclaimer* Don't quote me on any of that because I read it earlier and may have a few details wrong.

semperfi170
10-17-07, 11:12 PM
I LOVE grunts - they try to be all hard and what not but, some of them have the biggest hearts.

I've heard that said about all Marines and they demonstrate it time and time again! Who else but the Marines would have started a Toys for Tots program. :flag: I do know that a lot of grunts really have a soft spot/big hearts when it come to children.:thumbup:

Adam1988
04-10-08, 01:20 PM
Anyone confirm that 6-year deal?

Sounds like BS

outlaw3179
04-10-08, 02:23 PM
Being a Marine grunt is sub-culture in itself. We know were Marines and we know were the best, but grunts are maniacs, maniacs about being Marine grunts. We work hard, and party harder. But we love and hate our jobs . Being a Marine Infantryman is the reason the Marine Corps exists. Every other job exists to support the Marine infantry.

0331 Machinegunner. Semper Fi.