PDA

View Full Version : Which Degree?

TobyMAG
10-15-07, 12:05 PM
Just a couple questions, if someone could answer that would be awesome.

1) Are there certain college degrees that I will need in order to become an officer in the Marine Corps? Or can I get a degree in Agricultural Engineering (or any random 4yr degree) and then apply for the Marine corps to become a pilot officer?

2) Is the OCS available to Marine Corps Reservists?

3) If I obtain a 4yr degree from an accredited college but then wait 5 years before I pursue a Commission as a Marine Corps Officer, will that be acceptable? Or do they want you to complete school and then apply immediately afterward?

Thanks alot,
-Tim

Isrowei
10-15-07, 12:41 PM
1) I would suggest Underwater Basket Weaving.

Seriously, you can have a major in anything, as long as it's from an accredited school

2) Yes.

3) You can get it an any time and as long as you're not over the age limit to apply to OCS, you're fine.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-15-07, 07:01 PM
1) Any degree is acceptable. But, do yourself a favor and look into the sciences, mathematics, or something else that will always be in demand. One way or the other, your Marine Corps career will end before you're an old man. It would be nice to be able to market yourself in the civilian world.

RVHall
10-15-07, 09:02 PM
1) Are there certain college degrees that I will need in order to become an officer in the Marine Corps?
I agree with the comment that you should pick something that has value when you get out, whether it is in 4 years, 10 years, or 20 years. I would add that you should play to your strengths. I have been extremely fortunate to have had a 35 year career in geology where most days I thought I was being paid to have fun. Other folks would hate what I do. You ought to try to pick a major that you can really get into, otherwise your grades will reflect your lack of enthusiasm. If necessary, work with a school councilor or pay for a reputable service to assess your aptitudes. The potential reward is to enjoy countless hours of hard work.

By the way, some majors like geology and some kinds of engineering have possible military applications, but I would advise you to stick with something you think you would be good at and that you would enjoy doing 60 hours or more per week. (A college degree often means you get to work lots of overtime without overtime pay. But a nice salary and good benefits make it worthwhile.)

Glad to see you are thinking seriously about your choices at this juncture.

Best Wishes

TobyMAG
10-15-07, 10:08 PM
I appreciate all of your input.