PDA

View Full Version : Unique Situation

uwf7891
10-13-07, 09:46 PM
Here is my current situation:

I am a senior in high school, but I take ALL of my classes at the collegiate level at Pensacola Junior College as part of the Dual Enrollment Program,, earning both high scool credits for a diploma and college credit. I am accepted into the University of West Florida for next year already, guaranteed full scholarship no questions asked.

One minor problem: I'm currently 16, my birthday is in July, right smack fricken dab in the middle of summer >:(.

I was really hoping to do the 92 reservist program and then switch over to the PLC program and become an officer. BUT because of my age, I would not have time to complete boot camp in between senior/freshman year. This makes me younger. Also, because I've earned college credits, a whole years worth, before I've even gotten to college-- will I have to wait the 'typical' (4 year) college route or can I do the 10 week program and start TBS when I am handed my bachelor's degree, regardless of years in college?

I realize these are questions/concern-- for a recruiter, and rest assured I will ask a recruiter here shortly-- but I like to cross reference to be definite and also I want to be informed when I ask questions. I know what I want, and I don't want to be convinced I want something different.

I appreciate your time and responses, thank you!

LeonardLawrence
10-13-07, 09:51 PM
uwf891,
I am sure you will get some more knowledgable answers.

It seems that the time you spent in college, as long as you meet the age requirements and are working on the Bachelors degree...you still have the degree and class standing.

It seems to me that the best way to simplify things might be to go the Officer route directly. Doesn't seem you would have too much reserve time....or am I off on your motivation for that? It seems by my public education math that you would be a 17 year old sophomore and an 18 year old Junior, right? Maybe you could clarify the desire to do the reserve thing in the meantime??!

I would talk with both a recruiter and an Officer Selection Officer, leaning towards the OSO office. Just my thoughts.

yesyouam
10-13-07, 09:52 PM
16 and already in college? Wow! I didn't see that in your profile. Oh wait...
Fill out your profile!

uwf7891
10-13-07, 10:43 PM
I would have thought I would talk to an OSO and then be referred to a recruiter, just following logical thought.

uwf7891
10-13-07, 10:54 PM
My motivation for doing reserves is I want to be in the Marine Corp now. Not soon, not enjoy your year and the Marines will wait-- now. If there is anyway to expedite the process for me to join, I will take it. I want to be a pilot which is my only reason for waiting til I finish college. It seems like I've been waiting an eternity, and if I could shave off a few more years of 'killing time', I would be very very happy. But I realize that you can't always get what you want, comes with reality.

LeonardLawrence
10-13-07, 11:07 PM
uwf7891,

Thanks for the clarification. I would take a look at what you want and work towards that goal,....trust me! I know from not doing it!....think about what you want and why. If you want to be a pilot, take the direct route!

If you want to be a pilot than a year waiting is really not that big of a deal--especially when you are light years ahead of your peers in the education department.

Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong on this, but going in enlisted puts you in a postion where you are obligated for your time...yes there is MECEP,etc, but you are still under obligation and have to meet requirements (proficiency conduct marks, time in service, time in grade, etc).

I would skip the recruiter who wants to enlist you and make an appointment with the Officer Selection Officer....I would flesh it out with them and see if this is the way you really want to take it...or find out the benefits of enlisting first.

Either way, good luck. Maybe someone else can speak from a better position??!

uwf7891
10-13-07, 11:21 PM
Thank you for the advice.

As impatient as I am, I want to be an aviator, and if that means waiting more, then so be it.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Another reasoning for joining MCR is I know quite a few enlisted Marines and often times they complain that Officers don't have a clue, didn't work as hard, didn't see the other side of things, etc etc and, therefore, are not given the same respect as they would give to a Corporal, Sergeant, Gunnery Sergeant, (any enlisted of higher rank).

I do not want to be one of these Officers.

I cannot spend the time going enlisted and then officer, but I want to know the other side (without breaking fraternization rules, of course). I want to understand and lead, not just dictate. Do any elisted members have some advice? How can I relate? I know I'm young and I still have a while before I get to this point, but if I can get to know more enlisted personnel and their opinion on Officers BEFORE I am one, I can get knowledge without fraternization violations.

LeonardLawrence
10-13-07, 11:49 PM
uwf7891, <br />
<br />
Wow....you sure you're 16?:confused: You seem to have it down pat and a good head on your shoulders. {I am sure you haven't heard that one}. <br />
<br />
Okay. Here is my thought with no...

uwf7891
10-13-07, 11:54 PM
Once again-- thank you (seems like I've been saying that a lot to you lately huh?)

You are quite the wealth of knowledge. My main problem is I want to do it all I guess. All in good time, right?

And as far as the only 16 part.... yeah I get that all the time :).

LeonardLawrence
10-13-07, 11:56 PM
lol. Not a wealth of knowledge, the only idiot with a job that keeps him up all night...with nothing to do....

I am sure you will get better intel from others.

uwf7891
10-13-07, 11:58 PM
I guess I just don't want to be shot down before I've been given the chance to show my worth. I mean, I'm not dumb, on top of being an officer, I would also be young and a female, which makes things challenging..

I do not mean to boast in any way BUT I'm not exactly bad looking, and I realize that I will not always be taken seriously because of this. Once again, not a boastful piece, but merely a statement.

LeonardLawrence
10-14-07, 12:04 AM
I guess I just don't want to be shot down before I've been given the chance to show my worth. I mean, I'm not dumb, on top of being an officer, I would also be young and a female, which makes things challenging..

I do not mean to boast in any way BUT I'm not exactly bad looking, and I realize that I will not always be taken seriously because of this. Once again, not a boastful piece, but merely a statement.

THEY WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY WHEN YOU PULL UP NEXT TO THEM ON THE HIGHWAY WITH YOUR COBRA ATTACK HELICOPTER..... AND GIVE THEM A THUMBS UP..... AS YOU SLOWLY ROTATE YOUR MACHINE GUN TURRET IN THEIR DIRECTION.....

uwf7891
10-14-07, 12:10 AM
Hell f*ckin YEAH!

rvillac2
10-14-07, 12:47 AM
Cerah, stay in school, stay in top physical shape, and continue to ace your classes. You'll get your wish.
Joining the Corps now will only take you further away from your goal. You'll have a big enough challenge trying to become an aviator. You don't need reserve duty and involuntary activations interfere with your school.

Best route for you is to join NROTC. If that is not available, go for PLC. Either one will put you on track for earning your bars right at graduation. Even better if you can get a gauranteed aviation contract.

Do you happen to know what Marine Corps Female Aviators are allowed to fly?

I was just at the Miramar Air Show. I didn't know that Thunderbirds #2 and #6 are female! There have been no female Blue Angels. (at least #1-#8).
Those girls really flew the hell out of those Vipers, though! Good for them.

uwf7891
10-14-07, 12:59 AM
That's what I am thinking: PLC

I do not want to do NROTC because I plan on taking semesters abroad, and training would interfere with that. I also like the idea of PLC because I will most likely enter next year as a sophomore, not a freshman (due to my credits). I'm currently taking 6 courses (regular course load is 4) and do not plan on backing down. I'll rack up the credits, and hopefully fly the helicopters!

I do not know if there is anything Females are NOT allowed to fly... another question for the OSO I guess...

Covey_Rider
10-14-07, 06:31 AM
My suggestion would be for you to stay in school. It takes time to make the switch from enlisted to officer...a lot of time. Besides, being a reservist isn't going to give you the respective edge that you think it will. I will say, there are many 2nd Lt's that just drive me crazy but I know a lot that I greatly respect...I see how they take care of their Marines and that alone is all you need. You take care of them and they take care of you...everything else falls into place.

Isrowei
10-14-07, 08:11 AM
So please explain WHY you want to be an officer?

I think I missed that part in all this....

ammermda
10-14-07, 12:35 PM
As impatient as I am, I want to be an aviator, and if that means waiting more, then so be it.

I know quite a few enlisted Marines and often times they complain that Officers don't have a clue, didn't work as hard, didn't see the other side of things, etc etc and, therefore, are not given the same respect as they would give to a Corporal, Sergeant, Gunnery Sergeant

I cannot spend the time going enlisted and then officer,

1. Do NOT be a FIGMAC. (F***-it, I Got My Air Contract)

2. There will always be complaining in the Marine Corps. You cannot take complaints as truth.

3. You WILL work hard to earn a commission. You will be a candidate for no less than 10 weeks, and a Lieuten-adate for no less than six months. Then, you will be a boot 2ndLt at your MOS school. Finally, you will be a boot Lieutenant in the fleet. (If you complete flight school, you will may even be a boot Capt.)

You will not be given respect automatically for being an officer. You will EARN it, just like every other Marine; it makes no difference if you are enlisted or commissioned.

4. If being enlisted is something you want to do, but you "cannot spend the time" to do it, I would re-evaluate your motives for wanting to enlist first. You will not get the respect that you mentioned from the enlisted if you do not spend any time in their ranks, living their lifestyle.

5. Do not try to grow up too fast. You have the rest of your life to grow up. You are only 16! Go to college, enjoy it, and if you still want to pursue an enlistment or commission when you achieve the age, the Marines will still be looking for a few good men and women.

Good luck!

uwf7891
10-14-07, 01:34 PM
I want to be a Marine to serve. It's in my family, my blood, and my heart. I like a lot of things in life, but I am passionate about wanting to serve. It's a part of who I am, who I want to be. That is why I want to serve.

Also, thank you. I was always planning to stay in school-- not a negotiation, never was, never will be.

Once again, thanks!

Isrowei
10-14-07, 02:08 PM
Got the service part. You can do that in your local volunteer fire station.

I'm not even asking why you want to be a Marine. I want to know why you want to be an Officer of Marines.

uwf7891
10-14-07, 04:55 PM
I want to be an officer so I can be an aviator. If I could go enlisted and be an aviator, I'd go that way.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-14-07, 04:59 PM
I want to be an officer so I can be an aviator. If I could go enlisted and be an aviator, I'd go that way.

I mean no disrespect- but your answers have told me that your goal is not to be an Officer of Marines- but to be a pilot. You say you want to be a Marine, but everything keeps coming back to aviation. That being the case, I don't know if the Marine Corps is your best home. Perhaps the Air Force would be a better fit- where life is about flying, not the infantryman in the mud.

uwf7891
10-14-07, 05:00 PM
Is there a reason for the curt questions? Why does it matter to you what my reasonings are?

uwf7891
10-14-07, 05:02 PM
Is it wrong to want a branch of military for a potential MOS? I cannot do infantry because I am a woman which I have a problem with but that is besides the point. I can, however, be an aviator. I want to be a helicopter pilot so I can get as close to the action as possible. I don't want to hover overhead in a plane.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-14-07, 05:47 PM
It does matter. The Marine Corps is about being a Marine- not what your job happens to be. There are 2 types of Marines- infantrymen and those that exist only to support that infantryman.

I don't intend to be curt or rude, but the Marine Corps is what it is. It isn't about making your dreams come true. If you can say you'd be happy being a communications officer or a supply officer because you would be a Marine and would be serving your nation and the Corps- I would think that you have an understanding of our Corps. But, you seem driven to fly and aren't interested in anything else. That tells me that you are just looking to fulfill your own desires.

I said Air Force- but since you want helos- I'll amend that and say maybe the Army would be the best fit. Just trying to be honest.

uwf7891
10-14-07, 05:59 PM
Did I not clarify that because I cannot be infantry I want to do combat helos... in short... support the infantry? By even trying for a pilot I am accepting whatever MOS I am given. I want to be a Marine because they are the best, no matter your MOS. I know this, understand this, and accept this; however, I don't think it is wrong to strive and do everything within your power to make your personal MOS 'dream' come true. A Marine is a Marine--true. But not every Marine is in it for the same reasons.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-14-07, 06:18 PM
But not every Marine is in it for the same reasons.\

This is where the problem arises. Every Marine may not be in it for the same reasons- but they should be. There is only one reason to be a Marine- and that is to be a Marine.

Regardless, if you can say that you would be happy to be a Marine if you weren't involved in aviation, then I believe you've got the right mindset. Sure, you should chase your dreams. But, you can't let that dream become the reason you are in the Marine Corps.

A little background:
The reason I am saying these things is pretty simple. I had a Lt. that had entered the Marine Corps to be a pilot. He was working his way through flight school and was on doing a check flight when it took him longer than expected to tell the instructor the altitude when asked. He explained that he had to blink his eyes a couple of times to adjust to the low light in the cockpit after looking into the sun while flying. This brought about an even more detailed examination of his eyes that showed an over sensitivity to light. His dreams of bring a pilot were over. He ended up as a communications officer and was miserable. It wasn't good for him, and his attitude wore off on the rest of the platoon. After that, I always try to talk to people that are wanting to fly to make sure that they are in it for the right reasons.

Wyoming
10-14-07, 07:05 PM

Being a Pilot is fantastic. Just ask one. (Kidding)

I didn't make it while in the Corps. I did it afterwards, and several of my Pilot buddies that I flew with over the 'Beautiful Skys of SE Asia' were very supportive and helpful.

Anyhoo, at the end of the day, I had the 2nd best job. Crew Chief. In the air, the helicopter belonged to the pilots, but on the ground, any LZ or wherever, it was mine, Pilots and all.

We had a deep respect for each other.

Not many places where the PIC and I would call each other by our 1st names. In SE Asia it was common, after you earned the respect. BTW, that was in the air only, never on the ground and outside.

I guess the thing is, don't be disappointed if you don't make it, and it's your eyes that will tell the tale, not how smart you are. Trust me on that one.

Here's the other thing that bothers me. You still haven't answered the LT's questions. Read them carefully, then answer respectfully.

sparkie
10-14-07, 07:13 PM
Gotta join the Marines,,, Only want to fly. Gotta join the reserves,,,,can't leave my family. Different day, same cr^p.

SlingerDun
10-14-07, 08:00 PM
A 2nd Lt. was dropped from flight training for some reason__i never did ask why and had the opportunity as Radio Op quite a few times__I dont know if he then chose infantry or landed there, once again i never did ask. He made XO, then 1st Lt and CO. He would look too the sky and identify aircraft enthusiastically yet never displayed the slightest sign of bitterness or contempt at being a ground pounder, and i watched hard.

He just wanted to be a Marine is all i could figure...air, land or sea. Thats reality on an earthen level. Infantry was obviously not his first pick and if he didn't like his job we all would have known, thats a fact.

He was a good Marine, flyer or not. I dont know if a majority of wannabe Marine Aviators could shine under the same circumstances being 'taken down a notch'. I doubt i could have.

--->Dave

uwf7891
10-14-07, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to answer the Lieutenants question.. I want to be a Marine to be a Marine, more specifically a Marine Aviator. That's the moon, the goal, the objective BUT I've had my civilian life throw me into situations I never thought I'd like, and I loved them. I'm open to new ideas and new experiences. I want to be an Aviator, but I also want to be a Marine. I can fly a helo in the civilian world, or in the Army but I want the Marine aspect that comes along with it. To me, I am wanting to be a Marine and an Aviator- simultaneously. They are not one and the same in meaning, but simply in the same point in my life. I'm not meaning to be disrespectful, but I feel that no one has the right to comment on my goals and aspirations. I am not about to hash my deepest heart-felt reasons for wanting to join the Marine Corps, and I don't feel I have to in order to receive an answer to my previous question (which has been answered and confirmed several times over-- I appreciate this greatly).

uwf7891
10-14-07, 08:27 PM
PLEASE do not misunderstand. I do not ONLY want to fly. Flying, I think, would be number 1 but in further research I might discover an MOS I would enjoy more. I can only say my intent is to be a Marine Aviator. Who knows where I'll end up. Who knows how much I will like/dislike my speciality. I certainly cannot predict the future, for better or for worse.

SlingerDun
10-14-07, 08:36 PM
I feel that no one has the right to comment on my goals and aspirations.Yes, yes we do. Its OUR Marine Corps__COMMUNITY for USMC Veterans__that you have chosen to probe,:iwo: and we are on watch.

--->Dave

Phantom Blooper
10-14-07, 08:57 PM
Unique Situation

When you have a Unique Situation

Unique up on it!

I realize these are questions/concern-- for a recruiter, and rest assured I will ask a recruiter here shortly-- but I like to cross reference to be definite and also I want to be informed when I ask questions. I know what I want, and I don't want to be convinced I want something different.

I appreciate your time and responses, thank you!

Goals and aspirations are fine and motivation is a virtue but remember you asked these Marines questions and they gave the answers now they are asking answers from you. Being an officer/enlisted you are put in situations that you need to maintain your military bearing and continue the mission. Answer the question and quit waffling.:evilgrin:

Isrowei
10-14-07, 09:05 PM
OK, in a nutshell, here's my problem with this whole thing. You talk like you've seen the world... but you're 16. You didn't come up with this jargon on your own, that much is clear.

Goals, aspirations... sure. I got that part. But concerns me more is the flippant tone you have as if the Marine Corps should be grateful that you decided to join. You want to be a respected officer so you'll enlist but only if it doesn't mess up your college time so you can get your commission by what.. 19? 20? Give me a break.

I don't care about your goals and aspirations. I did not ask about those. I asked why you wanted to be an Officer of Marines. Goals and aspirations are things you hope to achieve in your life. I'm asking why you want to achieve this particular one. I want the reason, the ideaology behind it. Perhaps I should ask why you want to be a Marine, period. "I want to be a Marine to be a Marine" isn't an answer. You should be intelligent enough to know I won't take a shod-off answer. People want to be Marines for all sorts of reasons: College money, good career starter, "to be the best" (which is another non-answer), to prove themselves, etc. But you're an intellectual person. Or at least you fancy yourself one. I want to know why you want to be a Marine.

I can't compel you do respond with anything. I wouldn't want to. But keep this in mind before you decide to respond or pass:

I am not your Mom or Dad. I am not your guidance counsellor. I'm not here to cheer you on or congratulate you. Your "achievements" mean nothing to me. They will mean nothing when you enter this Corps as well, something you should well consider. I am only interested in hearing from you, honestly, why you want to be one of us. I'm not really convinced you've really gone in depth into it before now. Perhaps I'm wrong, and if so, this should be an easy response for you.

As a footnote, I will tell you that a person I respect greatly made me answer this very same question when I was 17 and deciding my future in life. He was far more harsh about it than I have been. But in that spirit, I, in turn, am passing it now to you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-14-07, 09:12 PM
I feel that no one has the right to comment on my goals and aspirations.

As you'll learn, Marines are very strange when it comes to our Corps. We do not want those that aren't here for the right reasons, nor will we hide our true feelings just because someone may not like our opinion. You're the one that chose to come here and put your story out for all of us to see. It is only natural for us to probe to see if you have the best interests of our Corps at heart.

Regardless of what MOS you want, or end up having. As an officer of Marines you could well be leading Marines into combat. There is a very real reason that all Marine officers go through TBS, and it isn't just to further torment the new butter bars. It is to ensure that you have the ability to function on the ground as a leader of Marines. As a pilot it will help you understand what the Marines on the ground are doing and going through. As an officer, it will prepare you to function as a leader under fire. While women may not hold the infantry MOS, in modern wars, the battle field is 360 degrees. Anyone in theater is a moment away from being a grunt.

Anyway, the Lts question was not why you want to be a Marine, but why you want to be an officer of Marines. You answered because you want to fly- but didn't mention what we were all hoping/expecting to see.

Wyoming
10-14-07, 09:23 PM

Unique Situation is a very intelligent YOUNG lady with a very HUGE chip on her shoulder.

Damm if I can't find comparisons to our very own lorix. (Jeez, I brought up her name again.)

This is it for me on this thread. I think I'll stick around a few years and see what happens.

LT, she's all yours. I await a proper response. Hope you get it before you make 0-7.

Phantom Blooper
10-14-07, 09:36 PM
just following logical thought

Well you can fly with Mr. Spock on the Star Trek Enterprise he was always being logical.

uwf7891
10-14-07, 09:53 PM
Please understand I do not think that the Marine Corps gives a rat's ass if I join or not. I am only a body, not anything special, not some huge revolution or commodity. I know this and I apologize if I came off as arrogant in anyway, that was not my intention.

I feel that what I have done so far in my life is, for lack of a better word, worthless. I haven't helped anyone, really. I haven't saved a life. I haven't made some substantial contribution to soceity. Another reason why I want to join the Marines. I want to be given the opportunity to grow. I realize my age is young, I know this BUT I do feel that I have more experiences than most do at that age. On the same token, it doesn't mean anything in the Marines. I'm signing up to start as a nothing so that I can become something. I'm not going in thinking I'm a notch above anyone else (I would never be that pretentious!).

My ideas are my own, granted they have been formulated from learning about my father, grandfathers, uncles, and great uncles serving. The things they value have influenced what I hold true, no doubt. Once again, my thoughts are my own. They are not borrowed from some website or some book.

On becoming an Officer: I want to be an Officer to fly, yes, BUT I am looking for the comradery, the strength, and fortitude to carry forth no matter where I may end up as well. I also hope to earn respect and honor. It is not something that I can easily describe. I feel compelled, by my own accord and without influence, to give my all and hope the Marine Corps finds it up to snuff. I can offer everything I have, my mind, body, and spirit to the training and experiences Officers will have, but in the end I'm just another candidate. I am only eager to figure this out early so that I can be the most appealing candidate possible for the Marine Corps. My worth is only measured in what I can offer the Marines. Great, I want to be an Aviator but if that MOS is filled or unavailable, I'll do and be wherever they see fit. No questions asked.

I really am trying to answer your questions. I do not mean to duck and run.

Phantom Blooper
10-14-07, 10:06 PM
Do you want to lead Marines? Or just fly?:evilgrin:

uwf7891
10-14-07, 10:14 PM
Of course I want to lead! That is the 'job description' of an Officer. I just want to be a leader who flies.

uwf7891
10-14-07, 10:27 PM
I thought that goes without saying? Officer, to me, is synonymous with leader. Therefore, if I want to be an Officer.... I want to be a leader. Didn't realize that wanting to be a leader was a reason for wanting to be an Officer. If that makes any sense? Probably not.

Point being: Yes, I want to one day lead Marines.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-14-07, 10:41 PM
To an extent it goes without saying. But, there are many people that would like to be a Marine pilot, or even a Marine officer. But they would not be able to lead Marines, with confidence, into combat. And when you get right down to it, that is what Marine officers are there for- to lead their troops into the fight. Sure, their primary job may not be infantry, but that is beside the point. As an officer you have to have that ability and be willing to do so. Some are able, many are not.

Isrowei
10-14-07, 10:43 PM
That is pretty much what I was looking for. A reason that took more than 30 sec and two sentences to write.

As an aviator, your primary responsibility will be to your aircraft. This won't change for pretty much the entire first 10 years. Just something to be aware of.

I think the best advice given here was to focus on your schooling. The Marine Corps will be here in a couple years and there's not a whole lot you can do to prepare this far out. During your junior year, go talk to an OSO. 92-reservist won't work for you and I doubt PLC will allow you to take studies abroad. That's a question for an OSO though.

uwf7891
10-14-07, 10:47 PM
Thanks. I'm glad I got this cleared up? I guess I just didn't think that someone could want to be an Officer and not want to lead Marines whethere it be on a daily basis or into combat. Just didn't put the two together.

Isrowei
10-14-07, 11:06 PM
It's not that people want to be Officers and not lead Marines... it's that they want to be Officers and think they already know HOW to lead Marines.

It's a little early for you to be talking about leading anyone, especially Marines. I understand it's a goal or an aspiration, but you said it before, you're very young. A 16 year old talking about leading combat veterans is making even my head spin a little, even if it is hypothetically 4 years in the future. Please understand I mean this in the kindest way possible.

Focus on that school. You've got 4 years of life to live before this is even a possibility. Live it. If you want to be a Marine after that, then stop in to talk to a recruiter.

snaglillard
10-14-07, 11:33 PM
Here is my current situation:

I am a senior in high school, but I take ALL of my classes at the collegiate level at Pensacola Junior College as part of the Dual Enrollment Program,, earning both high scool credits for a diploma and college credit. I am accepted into the University of West Florida for next year already, guaranteed full scholarship no questions asked.

One minor problem: I'm currently 16, my birthday is in July, right smack fricken dab in the middle of summer >:(.

I was really hoping to do the 92 reservist program and then switch over to the PLC program and become an officer. BUT because of my age, I would not have time to complete boot camp in between senior/freshman year. This makes me younger. Also, because I've earned college credits, a whole years worth, before I've even gotten to college-- will I have to wait the 'typical' (4 year) college route or can I do the 10 week program and start TBS when I am handed my bachelor's degree, regardless of years in college?

I appreciate your time and responses, thank you!Finnish school first,the corps isn't going anywhere.