PDA

View Full Version : Female Staff NCO Academy director makes history

thedrifter
10-12-07, 07:16 AM
CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa (October 12, 2007) -- Since the Marine Corps began enlisting women in 1918, female Marines have steadily risen to increased levels of responsibility and continuously distinguished themselves throughout the Corps.

Sgt. Maj. Romona D. Cook earned a place in Marine Corps history this year when she took the helm as director of Marine Corps Base Camp Butler's Staff Noncommissioned Officers Academy, earning the distinction of first female director at any Staff NCO Academy.

Hand-picked by former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John L. Estrada, Cook was selected as a standout among her peers.

"I remember receiving a phone call from Sgt. Maj. Estrada," Cook said.

Estrada said he was looking for a well-qualified Marine, and I was the first person that came to his mind, she said.

The Los Angeles native's career began Sept. 26, 1982 when she reported for recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C. After that, her career took off, sending her to units under every major subordinate command within the Marine Air-Ground Task Force.

Among her many assignments in the Corps is a tour as a drill instructor at Parris Island. And in February 2003, she deployed to Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom as the sergeant major for Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 462, Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. A year after she returned from Kuwait, she was deployed to Bagram, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

After more than 25 years of service, her variety of experiences leading Marines, both in and out of combat, gave her a better sense of what Marines do every day at all ranks and billets.

"I've been fortunate to have been to places that have let me see all the different sides of the Marine Corps," Cook said. "It's part of why I enjoy being the director. I have a little bit of experience in all the different backgrounds that the students come from. It helps me understand where they're coming from when they have a problem and what difficulties they face every day as NCOs and Staff NCOs."

Since she assumed her duties as director, she has made several changes that have led to increased morale of both the students and her staff, according to Sgt. Ana M. DelValle, the Staff NCO Academy's administration chief.

"I've been here through a lot of directors, and she is nothing but good for the academy," DelValle said. "Since she got here, she's been tweaking the academy, looking at everything across the board and making things better for everyone."

Cook's duties often lead to counseling staff and students who are experiencing troubles in their lives, either professionally or personally. She proves herself daily as a Marine leader with how she handles any issue that may arise, according to her staff.

"She's a very approachable leader," DelValle said. "I haven't met many sergeants major who can put their Marines at ease as easily as she does. If we come to her with something, it gets taken care of. She's not just a great role model; she's a great Marine."

Cook says being director isn't about being a woman or the role model others see her as; it's about the students and what they get out of the academy.

"I love mentoring Marines," Cook said. "That's why I enjoy being a director. I remember when I was a young NCO. The rank didn't give me confidence; it was my first taste of professional military education - my first NCO course. That's what I want every NCO and Staff NCO to leave the academy with, a sense of confidence in their leadership that they can pass on to their Marines."