PDA

View Full Version : Advise For Bootcamp..??

FutureMarine4X
10-09-07, 09:49 AM
Well im samantha and im 18 years old my cousin (male) just got back from boot camp this month he said it was so hard but in the end he loved it n was really glad he did it. ive been thinking alot and i want to go i'll leave in may because i want to prepare my self the best i can. im going to collage now but after this semester im going to stop going and work out every day tell i have to leave in may

Someone please tell me the best things i should to do prepare my self physically

And tell me what should i do mentally because im an emotional girl lol my self esteem is already low so yea haha, just what should i do about that cause like i said im rather emotional

I really want to do this im so excited the more i think bout it but im terrified about boot camp ive been reading stories by former female marines in boot camp n i know its gonna be hell but im still scared

So someone answer thoes 2 questions for me please and tell me ne more advise that i should do to prepare my self...THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH <3 SAMANTHA

thedrifter
10-09-07, 09:56 AM
Reading is Your Best Tool...since this has been answered over and over.;)

Ellie

killerinstinct
10-09-07, 10:10 AM
it's mental.. the goal is to break youdown remove the nastiness that society has made you an individual and think of yourself. They instill Marine values, beliefs, ideals and history. That is what bootcamp is to make you a Marine and it can be tough for people who take the time to realize that it's not you who messes up it's the platoon. If you keep the idea of being an individual throughout bootcamp it will make it tougher.. Just realize what they are doing is to change your thinking from I I I to us us us. As the whole is what matters not one person.

thewookie
10-09-07, 10:40 AM
You don't look out of shape to me, what's the problem? You're emotional, what girl/women isn't? I have two sisters and two neices, tell me about it. Don't worry,,talk to your cuz and he'll tell you it's all mental. They want to get into your head and break you down, take the nastiness out of you. Listen to killer. Make you a Marine. The best thing for you to do to prepare physically, is sweat. Any way you can, if you're sweating you're doing something good. To prepare mentally, you can go to the zoo and hold a banana in front of the chimps cage when the door's open. The chimp will chase you, it will be a mental trip. :banana:

Yami Chasi
10-09-07, 12:04 PM
There are many, many good things a person can do to try and prepare for bootcamp.

If you train hard and get your physical capabilities up to where you can pass or do well on the final PFT before you even go, then that will give you confidence which will transfer over into the other things you do. This is because by training so hard and having prepared so much you will have ingrained in yourself the belief that you have done all you can to prepare yourself for the biggest challenge in your life. Knowledge of this will give you confidence and that will add to your self esteem.

You can also prepare yourself for life in the Marine Corps by reading and learning as much as you can about it. Doing this will make you anticipate and look forward to just how awesome it is going to be once you graduate bootcamp and become a Marine. That will give you a goal to set and keep you motivated throughout bootcamp as you know what you are looking forward to. This website is an excellent place to begin learning abouy the Marine Corps. Reading just about every thread on this website will help out a lot. The knowledge you have gained will give you even more confidence and help you believe that being a Marine is what you want, and what you will make happen.

Regular contact with your recruiter will help as well, as you can ask any questions that you might have of him, in addition to asking the Marines on this site. If there is a DEP PT in your area, I highly suggest attending. Not just for the exercise benefits, but I have found it very motivational with everyone else there, all working towards the same goal you are.

Of course, be absolutely certain that becoming a Marine is what you want to do with your life. There are people with whom it is just a passing fancy, or just a phase, and then they wimp out when their time has come.

At least, I hope all this stuff works because that's what I've been doing. :P

RNelson
10-09-07, 12:19 PM
I just graduated friday and the best advice that I can give you physically is be sure that you can at least pass the PFT before you go and as for mentally each person takes that aspect differently, the best advice I can give you for that is remember its just a "game" and only temporary and just keep pushing no matter what if you have any other questions feel free to mail me.

TJR1070
10-09-07, 01:06 PM
As long as you go to Parris Island with an unwavering desire to be a Marine there isn't anything that can stop you, even your own emotions.

killerinstinct
10-09-07, 01:19 PM
As long as you go to Parris Island with an unwavering desire to be a Marine there isn't anything that can stop you, even your own emotions.

to add into that as my mom always told me, "Emotions are like treasures; So bury them":beer:

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-09-07, 01:46 PM
I'm going to disagree slightly with the poolee and new PFC. Don't go to boot camp doing OK on the PFT. Passing should never be the goal of a Marine. Shoot for a perfect score, because Marines always strive to be the best. Training to be the best will serve two purposes for you. First, it will prepare you to meet the physical challenge of boot camp. Second, it will give you confidence in your self and your abilities.

On top of that, just spend some time here. Make friends with the poolees and Marines. Just about everything you could ever need to know is already on these pages- and we'll be happy to answer questions more fully whatever is needed to help you on your journey.

thewookie
10-09-07, 01:55 PM
I see nobody really liked my banana idea routine? I was eating one earlier today when I read this and there was a story on TV about some chimps getting loose. I thought I made a funny, ha ha.

Marine84
10-09-07, 02:10 PM
you went on one of your own mental trips again wookie - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ready2Run
10-09-07, 02:31 PM
Well my best friend just graduated rom MCRDPI friday, and has given me ALOT of helpful hints. He keeps telling me im going to be a Third Phase in First Phase. But some helpful hints he gave me is to for one make sure you can do your IST ect. even if you can pass it keep training!! He also suggested to study your bible before you leave. make sure you have your rankings, general orders, and things like that down. On your first night DONT sleep under your covers. Dont drink milk except on sundays.

Never volunteer for anything. examples he gave me is his SDI asked if anyone knew how to Iron. my buddy said he knew how to a little, and ended up ironing 72 blouses. Never back talk. Not even if your right. Just let it go. Also make sure you tell your family and friends to not try and sneak things through the mail for you. such as candy or things like that. But fruity cough drops are welcomed. Here are some of the things. Im sure Everyone can agree and add on to these.

Hope this helps!

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-09-07, 02:38 PM
Wookie, somehow I managed to miss your comment the first time through. I think you may have stumbled on an alternative to PCP- just get some great apes at MCRD and let them get the recruits into shape!

killerinstinct
10-09-07, 02:54 PM
I see nobody really liked my banana idea routine? I was eating one earlier today when I read this and there was a story on TV about some chimps getting loose. I thought I made a funny, ha ha.

Hey Sergeant, I thought I'd return your ID to you. HAHA:beer:

http://www.suelebeau.com/images/rock.gif

LeonardLawrence
10-09-07, 03:03 PM
wookie,
Saw the post, didn't reply. I am currently on the run from the chimp. Whatever you do,. DONT TRY THIS!

It will not prepare you mentally, it will only terrify you and give you PTSD....
It may however prepare you physically. OMG, here they come....I am out of here!

LeonardLawrence
10-09-07, 03:05 PM
Oh, yeah and futuremarine4x. Expect the unexpected, don't let the what if's spook you and try to learn all you can while working out!

A little camouflage paint on the face never hurts either....you can pm me with it ;)

killerinstinct
10-09-07, 03:07 PM
Well my best friend just graduated rom MCRDPI friday, and has given me ALOT of helpful hints. He keeps telling me im going to be a Third Phase in First Phase. But some helpful hints he gave me is to for one make sure you can do your IST ect. even if you can pass it keep training!! He also suggested to study your bible before you leave. make sure you have your rankings, general orders, and things like that down. On your first night DONT sleep under your covers. Dont drink milk except on sundays.

Never volunteer for anything. examples he gave me is his SDI asked if anyone knew how to Iron. my buddy said he knew how to a little, and ended up ironing 72 blouses. Never back talk. Not even if your right. Just let it go. Also make sure you tell your family and friends to not try and sneak things through the mail for you. such as candy or things like that. But fruity cough drops are welcomed. Here are some of the things. Im sure Everyone can agree and add on to these.

Hope this helps!

lol you forget your best friend will probably be the one sending great letters to you in bootcamp getting you some quality IT time...

But regarding the ironing I have a good story for you on that this is a real story happened to me.

There was some special somethign for recruits on xmas day where they watched a movie i have no diea the whole depot went except me. My job was to edge dress every single recruits shoes for series commander inspection. I WAS ****ED... Felt singled out, felt like I had messed up. Was ****ed because the other recruits couldn't do their own.

Anyways after 79 pairs of dress shoes, probably on the 69th (not sure but like the number) I wasnt the best edge dresser as the ones before. Basically 2 recruits shoes had edge dressing on the actual heal of the shoe from tryign tof insih towards the end. What do you think happened? Yup, that's right I was yelled at and you know why? Everything I thought was about myself and I was being punished for something and didnt take the task at hand to do perfectly flawlessly without error. I was even told the reason I was instructed to do this was because my ydress shoes were the most squared away. Basically I ended up feeling like ****. It wasnt me being in trouble it was something I could do to help out the others. That's when I learned; We do things for others and sacrifice our well being for others and only hope they will do it for you even to the smallest thing we rely on everyone if you understand it or not.

So think about what I just wrote if/when you are asked to volunteer in bootcamp, and the fleet.

marinepooly1361
10-09-07, 04:40 PM
A little camouflage paint on the face never hurts either....you can pm me with it ;)

hahaha,

i tried to reply in the other post in the Ask a Marine forums, but couldnt

I have a recent picture from hunting, that is just a picture of me in my face paint and when i read that i started to bust out laughing

so do i get the ten points you were talking about???:banana:

But Future Marine,

basically, running is always a good thing to do, it builds up stamina, and endurance

work on your arm hang to. you look like your in great shape, so building muscle would probably come easy

thewookie
10-09-07, 07:02 PM
quote=LeonardLawrence]wookie,
Saw the post, didn't reply. I am currently on the run from the chimp. Whatever you do,. DONT TRY THIS!

It will not prepare you mentally, it will only terrify you and give you PTSD....
It may however prepare you physically. OMG, here they come....I am out of here![/quote]

You can always count on Leonard to join the party, good Marine! I saw a 1st Sgt that got all messed up in the Philippines after he threw some rocks at wild monkeys hanging out in the dumpster, they told us not to do it (throw rocks or anything at the wild monkeys), of course being a good Marine PFC and LCpl's we all did. But a 1st Sgt? I guess he didn't run fast enough, ha ha ha ha

RandallH1989
10-09-07, 07:15 PM
What's that bit about not sleeping under the covers your first night about?

BR34
10-09-07, 07:26 PM
If you sleep on top of your bedding you won't have to make the rack in the morning.

I only slept under the blankets on nights that we were turning in laundry the following day.

Pancho liners will keep you plenty warm, then you wake up, put it away, square away your pillow and help other recruits fix their racks because they didn't have the same sense as others.

thewookie
10-09-07, 07:59 PM
My DI's weren't having that, you got under the covers, because they had to have fun while we made our racks in the morning. They also went around at night sometimes and flipped guys out of their racks while they were sleeping, to teach us to sleep light. Man, I heard some guys hit the deck from a dead sleep hard, must have hurt. haha, sleep light GI

HurricaneRJ
10-09-07, 08:11 PM
I'll make sure I pick a Top-bunk. Really don't want to be flipped.

thewookie
10-09-07, 08:23 PM
RJ, they dumped guys from the top rack too. Why would they discriminate?

The point they made, and believe me find Hale on this site and ask him, was sent home loud and clear, like roger that.

Sleep light my friend, but don't worry RJ, I went to boot camp a couple days ago and my DI's, well they were different. But I'd still sleep light. Because you never know when Bat Man is coming out of the Bat Cave (DI Sgt. James aka Bat Man, The Whiskey Locker aka the Bat Cave)

One, two, three, four, I love the Marine Corps!

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-09-07, 08:52 PM
We didn't have a choice other than to get under the blanket. We also didn't get to pick a top or bottom rack- it isn't boy scout camp.

And, the beds being how they are, when one gets flipped everyone in it is going over. I took the trip from the top rack a few times- and I have never learned how to be a light sleeper. It is a rather unpleasant way to wake up!

HurricaneRJ
10-09-07, 08:58 PM
Yeah, a Marine who just got back from the Island said that one Recruit was flipped from the top bunk and he fell and broke his arm. <br />
<br />
They tried to give him an entry level-discharge but he ended...

sparkie
10-09-07, 09:06 PM
NOBODY EVER MESSED WITH MY BEAUTY SLEEP,,,,The rest of the 26 hours were theirs.

Wyoming
10-09-07, 10:03 PM
So did you actually touch this guy, or just hear the story? <br />
<br />
Flipped? Broken arm? Discharged? <br />
<br />
There's more to it. Somebody would've got busted here. <br />
<br />
I call BS. Prove me wrong.

Wyoming
10-09-07, 10:04 PM
So did you actually touch this guy, or just hear the story? <br />
<br />
Flipped? Broken arm. Discharged? <br />
<br />
There's more to it. Somebody would've got busted here. <br />
<br />
I call BS. Prove me wrong.

HurricaneRJ
10-09-07, 10:12 PM
I wasn't talking to this Marine, I was just overhearing the conversation between him and my NCOIC. He is at MCT now. Didn't ask anymore question as it was none of my business.

Ready2Run
10-10-07, 09:07 AM
So think about what I just wrote if/when you are asked to volunteer in bootcamp, and the fleet.

Yea true, but he wasnt picked because he was good.. he just got picked cause he volunteered. But wow, your story I wouldve have been ****ed also, but yea you learned that lesson im sure.

Corndog
10-10-07, 04:14 PM
Hey I am a female poolee and trust me, it is the best decision I ever made! There are 5 female poolees where I'm from. I am also an emotional girl though, but since I've joined I have gained a ton of confidence. Now I can say to all those who say that women are too weak that they are the fuel to my fire and desire. Who cares about "them" anyway? "They" are not good enough for me. The first thing that being in DEP taught me was to not compare yourself to others, only compare yourself to you. I hope I helped a little!!!

thewookie
10-10-07, 06:02 PM
I like your style Amanda, but sorry to say you're not even a SuperBoot yet, you're more like a SuperShowerShoe, but once you graduate bootcamp I'll be proud to call you my SuperBoot brother. Stay Hard

Corndog
10-10-07, 07:59 PM
I like your style Amanda, but sorry to say you're not even a SuperBoot yet, you're more like a SuperShowerShoe, but once you graduate bootcamp I'll be proud to call you my SuperBoot brother. Stay Hard

Haha, that is just fine. My Marine friends are the ones who call me Superboot, because everything I do reminds them of their good ol' days. And I can't be your brother, but I'll be glad to be your sister!!!
:)

Ready2Run
10-10-07, 08:50 PM
haha. she makes a point there. i dont really have a nickname. was bubblegum when i first got into DEP... nicknames just stick. and thats definatly true. dont compare yourselves to others. the only one that matters is you, and making sure your MRT ready.

killerinstinct
10-11-07, 08:44 AM
What's that bit about not sleeping under the covers your first night about?

its called being short sheeted.. we did that to someone in our platoon was the funniest **** i have seen wel not the funniest but it's damn near close

killerinstinct
10-11-07, 08:47 AM
Haha, that is just fine. My Marine friends are the ones who call me Superboot, because everything I do reminds them of their good ol' days. And I can't be your brother, but I'll be glad to be your sister!!!
:)

hey Corn I'm just wondering why corndog?? And also maybe when ya go to bootcamp I have a friend whos on the drill field with your husband who is also on the drill field ill get her to spend some quality time with ya.:nerd:

thewookie
10-11-07, 10:42 AM
Seriously, you may not want to post a pic, haha, sorry. JUST KIDDING. I'm just thinking to myself, corndog, I've heard people or girls called cornholio or corny (haha) but never corndog, how you get a name like that girl? You like eating corn? Do you have a piece of corn attached to some 550 cord around your neck? Fill us in, inquiring minds want to know. Thanks

Corndog
10-11-07, 02:25 PM
Over the summer I went to an Honor Guard Academy near Bolling AFB and one of our instructors was a retired Marine who's nickname was Bulldog. Well, I was wearing my Poolee T-shirt and she recognized it and started calling me Corndog. She was amazing. Scared the *stuff* out of me, but she was still amazing. She was a Marine during Vietnam and served 4 tours over there. She was a very inspirational woman, so I kept the nickname.

thewookie
10-11-07, 02:49 PM
Good stuff, I saw that you posted your photo, very nice, don't mind me I was just being funny.

Corndog
10-11-07, 03:12 PM
Good stuff, I saw that you posted your photo, very nice, don't mind me I was just being funny.

Beavis and Butthead crack me up, so it's all good. Where did good TV go to???

killerinstinct
10-11-07, 03:30 PM
my last name is Sherman and once the movie american pie came out you can only guess what my shop was calling me...

Corndog
10-11-07, 03:37 PM
my last name is Sherman and once the movie american pie came out you can only guess what my shop was calling me...

Aww. Well my last name sounds kinda dirty, so yeah. My friend once yelled "You suck, Cox!" without thinking about it and that has followed me EVEYWHERE.

FutureMarine4X
10-12-07, 10:06 PM
You All Are Great And Than You Alot For The Advise Reading All This Makes Me Feel Alot Better And Eve More Excited For All This Bot Camp Is Still Scary But I Think Bout Whats Going To Happen When I Get Out And Mannn Its Gonna Be Awesome, Im Going To Start Going The The Ymca Ever Day Early And Gonna Work Out Alot Alot So I Can Be As Ready As I Can Be!!

Wookie Ur Really Funny Have Me Crackin Up A Few Times Haha Keep It Up I Love To Laugh (that Will Be My Downfall In Boot Camp Cause I Never Ever Stop Smileing Fareal It Dont Go Away :-o)

HurricaneRJ
10-12-07, 10:13 PM
Good luck in Boot Camp, It's all mental I hear.

Let me give the kind reminder. Proper grammar is strictly enforced with Poolees on this site.

USMC90
10-12-07, 10:17 PM
Let me give the kind reminder. Proper grammar is strictly enforced with Poolees on this site.

X2.

Good luck with everything. I'm sure if you really want it you'll get it.

yesyouam
10-12-07, 10:25 PM
You All Are Great And Than You Alot For The Advise Reading All This Makes Me Feel Alot Better And Eve More Excited For All This Bot Camp Is Still Scary But I Think Bout Whats Going To Happen When I Get Out And Mannn Its Gonna Be Awesome, Im Going To Start Going The The Ymca Ever Day Early And Gonna Work Out Alot Alot So I Can Be As Ready As I Can Be!!

Wookie Ur Really Funny Have Me Crackin Up A Few Times Haha Keep It Up I Love To Laugh (that Will Be My Downfall In Boot Camp Cause I Never Ever Stop Smileing Fareal It Dont Go Away :-o)

TRANSLATION:

You are all great and thank you a lot for the advice. Reading all of this makes me feel a lot better and even more excited for all of this. Boot Camp is still scary, but I think about what's going to happen when I get out and, man, it's going to be awesome. I'm going to start going to the YMCA and going to work out a lot, so I can be as ready as I can be!

thewookie
10-12-07, 10:28 PM

Good job, find the humor in things and it helps with your aneixty also. Everyone has or had the same fears as you at some time, to some extent. If you really want it, all you have to do is make it happen. Nice update on the pic, try some crunches, just kidding,,,,,:sick: really, good job and say hello to the village people

DaftPunk
10-12-07, 11:15 PM
its called being short sheeted.. we did that to someone in our platoon was the funniest **** i have seen wel not the funniest but it's damn near close

Would you be so kind as to explain "Short Sheeted" ?

:nerd:

FutureMarine4X
10-13-07, 09:21 AM
LoL Hey im not chunky its cause im in a weird position..lol hahahhahah but yea ima work on them neways thanks for the tip :-D....

Wyoming
10-13-07, 09:49 AM
LoL Hey im not chunky its cause im in a weird position..lol hahahhahah but yea ima work on them neways thanks for the tip :-D....

I'm lost again!! What in the hell does this say????

FutureMarine4X
10-13-07, 02:08 PM
Sorry im used to typeing to my friends. So i get caught up in how i talk to them. Im going to stop and start writing right. Hahaha

I have another question

I hear so many different things on what to bring with you. I hear u cant bring anything with you. Also that you can bring things. Im confused i dont know which one is right. Can somone tell me if i can bring things or not and what to bring. please n thanks

thewookie
10-13-07, 02:13 PM
Make sure you bring your ID 10 T with you. Ask your recruiter for one before you leave.

Quinbo
10-13-07, 02:15 PM
Short Sheet is .... take a single sheet and fold it end to end then make a perfect miltiary rack with it as though it was two sheets. The fold is under the blanket and ends up being less than half of the total length of the rack. Trying to get in the rack amounts to trying to get into a pillow case because there is no where for your feet to go.

762mm
10-13-07, 03:08 PM
Make sure you bring your ID 10 T with you. Ask your recruiter for one before you leave.

Or a box of grid squares maybe? ;)

BR34
10-13-07, 03:53 PM
Or a Prick E Six

CathyGo
10-13-07, 11:07 PM
This article provides a pretty good overview of bootcamp to me. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/marinebasic.htm

Phantom Blooper
10-14-07, 12:04 PM
just what should i do about that cause like i said im rather emotional

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive!

:evilgrin:

Yami Chasi
10-14-07, 02:12 PM
I hear so many different things on what to bring with you. I hear u cant bring anything with you. Also that you can bring things. Im confused i dont know which one is right. Can somone tell me if i can bring things or not and what to bring. please n thanks

Basically, to my understanding, what you bring with you is, your ID/birth certificate/whatever official stuff your recruiter said to bring, the clothes you're wearing, and maybe some emergency money. Don't bring too much money because you have to write down the serial numbers for each and every bill.

The list of "don't bring" is much longer than the list of "do bring". Don't bring a cell phone, any weapons, fireworks, explosives, drugs, alchohol, and stuff like that. Your recruiter can provide you with a comprehensive list of what not to bring.

TJR1070
10-15-07, 12:59 PM
You're recruiter should give you the run down on anything you are allowed to bring, females are slightly different than males. Basically what you have to worry about bringing is an unwavering desire to be a Marine, everything else will take care of itself. Bootcamp is all about the attitude you bring with you not what's in your suitcase (by the way suitcases are optional).

FutureMarine4X
10-18-07, 06:13 AM
i worked out with all the guys yesterday. My Arms are killin me, but its great. I did more situps then the guys. but i always realizied how out of shape i am when it comes to running.

TJR1070
10-18-07, 07:33 AM
Work on your running, if you are comfortable running before you get to boot camp it will make the first couple of weeks a little easier. It's hard enough transitioning into the physical demands and non stop pace of boot camp, having a hard time running will only add to that.

PHILLYBOI
10-18-07, 12:32 PM
Well I Actually Went To The Annual Poolee Function/warior Challenge Last Year And They Had 3 Drill Instructors 2 Male And I Female, The Female Was The Hardest One Believe Or Not, But I Know That If You Go Down To Pi Or Sd Stay In The Mindset That Ok I Came Down Here To Be A Marine And Nothings Going To Stop Me, Let That Be Your Motivation. The Task Is Hard Maybe The Hardest Thing You'll Ever Do But its Not Impossible.