PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe with a couple of questions.

Ryan1981
10-08-07, 12:13 PM
I'm brand new to the site and have a couple of questions. I am 25 years old and plan on going to recruit training in early 2008. I was wondering what I can expect being older than most of the other recruits. Would this be an advantage, disadvantage, or does it not matter? A problem I see myself having is getting impatient with younger recruits and losing my temper. I was hoping someone may have some firsthand experience with this.

BR34
10-08-07, 12:39 PM
I graduated from boot camp the day before my 25th birthday.

Lost my temper with other recruits all the time. Actually, I downright came to be disgusted with a bunch of them. The stress combined with the immarturity, etc. will get to you at times. I had a couple of fights that I shouldn't have had. The whinning from some of the other recruits really seemed to get to me, so much so that I did things to them that I shouldn't have...that almost got me in some serious trouble.

Only thing I can tell you though is to go through the process and see what happens. The experience you have with the youngin's most likely won't be the same as mine.

Tip though...don't hit any of them (especially in the face).

rvillac2
10-08-07, 12:39 PM
Your age will not be much of a factor at recruit training. You will be broken down just as much as the younger guys. Your mental maturity is what would give you an advantage/disadvantage. If you're stubborn and stuck in your ways, you won't have a good time. If your mature enough to realize that it is all training and indoctrination and you should go along with the program, you'll be ok.

Losing your temper won't mean much. You're going to get dumped on just as much as the others. And who is to say that YOU won't be the one picked as the scapegoat that gets others sent to the pit/quarterdeck?

There's a lot of info in poolee hall. Read up and if you still have more questions, we'll be here.

killerinstinct
10-08-07, 01:47 PM
we had a recruit who was 29 or so adn he was picked on called grand old man and specially because he was older than the DI's he got heat from the green belts who were younger than him... Bu tit does put ya more in the light. But when it comes down to it its not going to be much of a difference all recruits are nasty.

Ryan1981
10-09-07, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your comments. I will take what you said and make the most of it.