PDA

View Full Version : A moving tribute comes to Inwood

thedrifter
10-08-07, 09:02 AM
A moving tribute comes to Inwood
THE TRAVELING VIETNAM VETERANS MEMORIAL VISITS JOLIET, GIVING RESIDENTS A CHANCE TO REMEMBER THOSE WHO DIED.

October 8, 2007
By Ken O'Brien STAFF WRITER

JOLIET -- Larry Peet wanted to honor his Army buddy who died in the Vietnam War.

On Friday night, the Joliet resident went to the Moving Wall, the half-size replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. Peet remembered Robert H. Carr, who died in 1967, by placing roses and a picture of Carr and their Army company on the ground by his name on the wall.

Peet, 64, went to Vietnam late in 1966 and returned home in 1967. He has seen the Moving Wall in Morris and Romeoville.

Additionally, Peet once went to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in the nation's capital. The memorial lists the names of 58,000 Americans who died in the war and or are still missing.

"I have 18 friends on this wall," Peet said after sitting by himself on a bench near the replica for about 15 minutes.

"I think of their sacrifice and the millions who died after we gave up. It makes me feel ill."

Peet was among several thousand people who visited the exhibit at Inwood Park, said officials at the Joliet Park District. The exhibit opened on Thursday afternoon. It closes today at 8 a.m.

While Peet sat on the bench, Ramona Witte, of Morris, was just finishing her first visit to the exhibit. Witte, 53, was a major in the Marine Corp from 1977 to 1987.

"It is especially sad, because we didn't learn the lessons from it, due to what is happening in Iraq," she said. "I'm touched that families from this area that lost loved ones have come out here and put flowers and pictures."

While stationed in the Marines near Washington, she visited Arlington National Cemetery. She left the area before the Vietnam Veterans Memorial opened.

"I have always wanted to go back and see it and this gives me a chance to see what it looks like in a miniature size," Witte said. "It is very humbling and very sad."

Over the weekend, visitors signed a guest book, including people from many towns in Will County and from towns in Iowa, Indiana and Michigan. A retired Marine from Oklahoma also visited the exhibit.

The wall lists the names of 19 soldiers who died in the war who were residents of Joliet. Among those, someone left a candle for Henry R. Lopez. Additionally, the family of Angelo Fiqueroa left a heart-shaped display with his picture, flowers and an American Flag.

On Saturday afternoon, Mary Ragusa was helping the volunteers that staffed the exhibit around the clock. More than 100 people helped, either by working with the honor guards or by helping people find a name on the wall.

"I have really been amazed with the people who have come out with a loved one on the wall," said Ragusa, a co-coordinator for the park district for the exhibit.

"I have been amazed and grateful for our volunteers and how touched they are. It has been an event that I hope helps educate the community a bit and pays respect to our fallen men and women."

From 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, members of the Chicago Highland Rifles served as the color guard for the exhibit, with two members standing duty for about 20 minutes before making a change because of the heat.

The group mostly provides honor guards for the funerals of police officers and firefighters who die in the line of duty, said Jim Dickey, a member from Western Springs.

"The veterans don't get enough respect," Dickey said. "People forget. It is a real honor for us to come and participate in this. We're really proud to do it."

Contact reporter Ken O'Brien at (815) 729-6119 or kobrien@scn1.com

Ellie