PDA

View Full Version : Thanks a million: When the ships come in, spirits soar -- and so do the Blue Angels

thedrifter
10-07-07, 11:02 AM
Thanks a million: When the ships come in, spirits soar -- and so do the Blue Angels
By Rina Palta and Ian Sherr

CORRESPONDENTS
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched:10/07/2007 03:01:07 AM PDT

At 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Tom Davenport was propped up in a director's chair on the Marina Greens waterfront waiting for Fleet Week to begin.

The son of a World War II veteran and a Vietnam veteran himself, Davenport has been attending the week of naval parades, air shows and vessel tours for the past 20 years. This year, his daughter, an Iraq veteran, was there with her son.

"It's a family tradition and a Bay Area tradition," said Davenport. "I used to bring the kids, and now I bring my grandson. It's a gift to be able to pass on the history."

As the morning warmed up, an estimated 1 million people crowded onto rooftops, in the streets and at the two official celebrations at Fisherman's Wharf and the Marina Green to catch a glimpse of the naval air fleet, including the famed Blue Angels.

Among those out was U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who started Fleet Week in 1981 when she was mayor. "The Bay Area, for some, has a reputation for being anti-military," said Feinstein as she watched a Navy Patriot soar over the Bay. "I don't believe it, and one way to show everyone that was through Fleet Week."

That first year, the 5,000 participating soldiers were told not to wear their uniforms around town for fear of bad treatment. "But they were so well greeted, with people buying them food and beers, they went back and put their uniforms on," Feinstein said.

Jason Dowd, a police officer on vacation from Massachusetts, said it's a great opportunity for the public to thank the military. "It's a huge morale boost for the troops to see people thanking them," he said. "And it's awesome to see the ships."

This year, 1,000 Navy personnel participated.

This was the first Fleet Week for 11-year-old Grant Halpin, whose mother, Michelle, had been wanting to bring him for quite a while.

"I wanted to see the Blue Angels," Halpin said. "I wanted my boy to see them, too."

Grant has been interested in flying airplanes since he saw "Top Gun" four years ago. "It's really cool to see it live," Grant said, smiling from ear to ear as the Angels roared overhead. "It was totally worth the wait."

The Blue Angels are well-known for their aerial acrobatic performances with red, white and blue streamers tracing their route as onlookers clap and cheer.

At the Marina, Rebecca Mance of Danville waited for her chance to ride in a Blue Angel set up on the ground and rigged so that passengers can imagine what it's like to ride in one at mind-boggling speed.

"It's just a simulator," she said. "I don't think I could handle the real thing." Nearby, the crowd tried to impress Marines on a pull-up bar, children played car racing video games and a Navy rock band, the Destroyers, belted out top-40 hits next to military recruiting tents.

At the Wharf, Larry Kimball of Lodi was one of the volunteers who greeted a ship by giving gifts to the captain and commanding officers to hand out to the crew.

"This is my second year, and I love it," he said, standing on the dock as sea lions bellowed below. "My wife isn't too happy with me, because she can't be here due to medical problems. But she wants to come next year."

Kimball was also leading the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps, which allows young students to go through a miniaturized version of Navy SEAL training. "We try to teach them discipline and self-confidence," he said. "I have a hard time keeping up with these youngsters, but it's worth it."

Bill Clayton, a retired motorpool sergeant, has been to Fleet Weeks in other cities, but he said he likes San Francisco's a lot more. "They aren't half as nice as this one," he said. "The Blue Angels are here."

Ellie