PDA

View Full Version : Medical Questions

Matt88
10-06-07, 03:28 PM
I have a decent amount of freckles and moles on my skin. My biggest fear is to get sick at Recruit Training and have to go to medical for any reason. I know it is likely to happen at least once, but I would like to avoid this. Normally, out in the sun I ware sun block on the area of the moles which was recommended by my mother and family doctor. I was just wondering if while at recruit training it is acceptable to ware not a lot, but just a small amount of sun block on these areas. (mainly arms, and neck) Thank you in advance.

I believe at recruit training I will need glasses. How do they go about issuing these? Would I just bring my own glasses and prescription and then they would match mine with their issued glasses? Thanks in advance.

sparkie
10-06-07, 03:33 PM
Yea sure, why not,,,sunblock,vaseline, jergens, ky,,anything you want. JUST kidding... I didn't think you were allowed anything like that, or asperin or nuthin. Maybe I'm wrong.

BR34
10-06-07, 03:55 PM
You'll be issued sunblock and glasses within your first few days.

Don't worry, I know a Marine that made it through and he's pretty much Opie's twin brother.

sparkie
10-06-07, 03:58 PM
Bro... are you serious? They issue that stuff?

Zulu 36
10-06-07, 04:08 PM
Sunblock, yep. But not sunglasses, just regular BCGs.

PatriotGirl422
10-06-07, 06:11 PM
Yeah you get issued sunblock and our DIs got the extra strong stuff for all the light skinned ones. I didn't really need sunblock, but I ended up buying the sunblock with the bug lotion in it since we weren't allowed to spray bug juice in the squadbay in the morning when getting ready for pt.

BR34
10-06-07, 09:21 PM
Bro... are you serious? They issue that stuff?

Yes, Sgt. Apparently some Marines burn pretty easily. I guess it's easier to issue them sunblock than to send them to medical because their skin is peeling off.

Didn't mean sunglasses though, just regualar ole' spectacles.

I know a Marine at Camp Johnson that got NJP'd for being sunburned, so the Marine Corps def. takes it seriously.

davblay
10-07-07, 12:30 AM
I know a Marine at Camp Johnson that got NJP'd for being sunburned, so the Marine Corps def. takes it seriously.

I guess the Corps hasn't gone completely soft after all! It was considered a punishable offence (NJP) to get sunburned if it prevented you from wearing your uniform or doing your assigned duties. Even a Tatoo would get you into the same trouble, in my day, if it caused pain or discomfort while in uniform.