PDA

View Full Version : Old Whitey is Alive on the Island!

davblay
10-05-07, 09:50 PM
Got a letter today from the Lad, he was in the Navy Hospital suffering with Cellulitis! Don't know how long he will be there, but he is concerned that he will get set back because of it.

For those of you Poolees that are not familiar with Cellulitis:

Cellulitis is characterized by redness, swelling, warmth, and pain or tenderness. Cellulitis frequently occurs on exposed areas of the body such as the arms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm), legs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leg), and face. Other symptoms can include fever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever) or chills and headaches. In advanced cases of cellulitis, red streaks (sometimes described as 'fingers') may be seen traveling up the affected area. The swelling can spread rapidly.

Whitey said to tell you people that you had better report any swelling as soon as you see it! I guess, from what he said, that he let his go to long and it required advanced attention. If you report it early and go to sickbay, they might be able to give you antibiotics and let you continue to train.

Other than that he is doing fine and he states he will do whatever he has to do to finish training and graduate. He only hopes that he can stay with his old platoon.

crazymjb
10-05-07, 10:56 PM
I heard 5-10% of recruits get it from scratching at bug bites and such. My little sister had it (not in the military) and its no fun. It is basically an infection under the skin, and can get serious...

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-06-07, 03:18 AM
I got it, and they had no clue how I did. The best they could figure out was that I sprained an ankle pretty badly and that allowed an internal infection to get started and the rest is history. It is nasty stuff. I didn't respond to the antibiotic treatment and ended up going to BAS daily for IV antibiotics that finally killed the infection. They didn't hide the fact that if it didn't respond to that treatment I could have ended up losing the foot.

If you see red and swelling- get to medical quickly. Going on light duty may earn you scorn from the DIs, but if you ignore it you end up with much bigger problems.

davblay
10-11-07, 04:59 PM
Hey just got an update and good news about old Whitey. I got a PM from his MOM today with the news, so i will share it with you all:

I am Whitey's Mom
<hr style="color: rgb(204, 204, 255);" size="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> I just had to laugh when I saw your posting about Justin, I am glad that he is still able to reach out to y'all. We just found out in a letter from him that he has vasculitis not cellulitis which we thought as well. I tried to post to your message you left on the forum but it wouldn't let me. He got out of the hospital last Thursday and the DI wanted him back in the Plt. so he lucked out. He told us "If God Likes Me I will be graduating on time" Hopefully God does like him! I sure do miss that Kid wandering around the house in his boxers with laptop in hand. I am also happy he found this site before he left, he has made some good friends on here.

Whitey's Mom
----------------------------------

Just thought you guys would like to know. :thumbup:

HurricaneRJ
10-11-07, 08:40 PM
Motivating none the less. Hope everything turns out okay.

Also about god liking him comment.

I heard that God takes vaction when recruits go through Boot Camp?

Beacuse I know he took the day off when I was born. (Poor mom, had twins coming out.)