PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a shot?

CuriousChris79
10-04-07, 02:23 PM
Hello Marines....

My name is Chris, and what I am about to ask you is not only embarrassing, but I know highly unaccepted among the marine community. I'll start by stating the fact that I wouldn't be posting here if I was not interested in changing my life completely...but am I to late?

1. I dropped out of high school and got my GED, when my parents split up and life became unstable. To interested and distracted by trying to fit in and hanging out with the wrong crowds.

2. I've smoked Marijuana consistantly for 10+ years, I know the effects and now, at 27, have quit and realized how much time I've wasted. I don't feel that I am the typical "DUH" type ex-stoner, I've always been very computer and thought oriented, but very lazy and undisciplined, as thats what pot does. Now that I have quit, I do see things different and am desperate to change.

3. I have a wife and almost 1 year old daughter, have always been responsible and took care of myself and them. Owning and operating two business, which I sold for profit...but again, it may "sound" like I did ok...owning a house and starting to raise a family, but I know in my heart, those business that I started was only to make my life easier...Pool cleaning business..Dog grooming...no challenge in that, even though I was able to pay all my bills. I always took the easy way out.

4. I was arrested once when I was 13-14 years old for assault and battery, I believe. I did my probation and they said it would be expunged. However, you can't really hide that from anyone, specially the Marines....I have not gotten into ANY trouble since then, aside from my illegal use of marijuana which I never got in trouble for.

I guess what I am asking, after reading all of this....Is there hope for me?
What should I do? Should I even pursue a drastic change like the marines...or did I already screw my life up.

yellowwing
10-04-07, 03:06 PM
Chris, we don't want you as a passing fad. The Army may have challenges of recruiting goals, but the Marine Corps does not. There are many good hard charging patriots that are standing in line to join Our Beloved Corps.

All you past grievances are waiverble if they are truly behind you. It may take time but it can be done.

Honestly, my first impression of your story is to get a better job and take care of your family. Nobody joins the Marines for the Money.

CuriousChris79
10-04-07, 03:15 PM
I am not looking to join anything for money, I have proven that I can be successful and take care of my family, finacially. My reasons are to change my personal self. To gain self discipline, become something my daughter will be proud of...I have been on my own since the age of 16, no help from mother or father or any family. I can take care of myself, but I don't like how I think. I feel that I am very selfish, only do what benefits me, take advantage of people...and I need a drastic change. I understand about what you mean about people being in line, people much better then me, and I appretiate your honesty. This is why I asked here. I just want to change the way I act and think, and I won't be able to do it on my own. I feel that I would have to be literally forced to change. Aren't there any marines with my kind of past?

SlingerDun
10-04-07, 03:55 PM
My name is Chris, and what I am about to ask you is not only embarrassing, but I know highly unaccepted among the marine community. I'll start by stating the fact that I wouldn't be posting here if I was not interested in changing my life completely...and whats so embarrassing or unacceptable about this?
I have a wife and almost 1 year old daughter, have always been responsible and took care of myself and them. Owning and operating two business, which I sold for profit...bankruptcy courts are swamped with cases of burried small business owners who may have tried hard but could not turn a profit in or out. Congratulations, your not one of them.

Should I even pursue a drastic change like the marines...naw you probably wouldn't like it, might feel like an anvil around your neck after awhile and you wont find much sympathy regarding your past. Fire up another business you find meaningfull and of course profitable.

or did I already screw my life up.what are you 27 or 87, geeze

--->Dave

CuriousChris79
10-04-07, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

PS- the embarrassing parts were the pot, mostly. I am very proud of my wife and daughter.

SlingerDun
10-04-07, 04:21 PM
To gain self disciplineThe Marine Corps will force discipline on you and it will help tweek your character and esteem but its not the same as the inner discipline known as work ethic instilled during youth. If that doesn't exist, its much harder and sometimes never achieved after teen years
I just want to change the way I act and think, and I won't be able to do it on my own.Yeah it's something we can do on our own and it's tougher and more challenging than somebody else pushing it on you. If you think its hard being or changing 'you', see how hard it is after someone else has been doing it for you.
I feel that I would have to be literally forced to change.Then force yourself, it takes steely "self" discipline hauling out of bed on a frosty morn at 0-darkhundred. Much tougher than some authority figure barking orders.

--->Dr. Laura

rvillac2
10-04-07, 07:03 PM
You need to fill out your profile and read the rules of the site.
Marine is always capitalized.

sparkie
10-04-07, 07:16 PM
I can't see signing up with a wife and a kid. Your ego is showing. The best place to get a hand up,, is by your own hand. Take GOOD care of your family,, and you will be a man in my eyes. Got something to prove????? prove it to your grandkids,Son.

cplbrooks
10-05-07, 03:35 PM
yes you could probably get in but it will require a few waivers. One for the pot smoking and the other for the GED. Instead of asking us you should go down to your local recruiters office and ask them. You have to ask yourself if you are really serious about this. A lot of people just like the idea of changing their lives. Do you really want to go through what it takes to actually do so?

Quinbo
10-05-07, 05:14 PM
Good to see you back posting Sgt Brooks.

Marine84
10-05-07, 10:12 PM
BROOKS! Where the hell you been?????? You've been missing out!

And I got a stupid question for Curious Chris...........................haven't you asked this question before under another name? Could there possibly be 2 of you with the same exact stuff going on in your lives?

I believe you could make the change personally without having to join the Corps to do it. The change comes from within anyway - you sound more bored with life than anything. If you were to join the Corps, you will not see your family as much as you would like to think. It's not like havinga 9-5 and that's it - you'll be one 24/7 for at least 4 years. Would be just as noble if you stayed at home and took care of everybody.

rvillac2
10-05-07, 11:26 PM
We want that profile filled out Wannabee!

Wyoming
10-06-07, 10:13 AM
And I got a stupid question for Curious Chris...........................haven't you asked this question before under another name? Could there possibly be 2 of you with the same exact stuff going on in your lives?

Kim, I don't have as many brain-cells as I did once, but this dude sure seems to be asking questions that I've read about before.

I agree with you.

hawks
10-06-07, 11:11 AM
You'll be fine. I've met recruits and Marines with worse things then being a pot smoker. Just be responsible from here on out. You'll be fine.

CuriousChris79
10-07-07, 10:02 PM
I can't see signing up with a wife and a kid. Your ego is showing. The best place to get a hand up,, is by your own hand. Take GOOD care of your family,, and you will be a man in my eyes. Got something to prove????? prove it to your grandkids,Son.
Your probably right, but I don't see how my ego is showing, but ok.

You need to fill out your profile and read the rules of the site.
Marine is always capitalized.
Won't be necessary, this was my first time here posting, and I just wanted to see what other marines thought about a guy like me. Everyone sounds dead on with what my family and friends have said already. Besides, to be honest, I dont think I would make it in the Marines. My whole life I've been pretty fickle, quitting things once I got bored. I just thought that being it would be military related...I couldn't really "quit" like I always do.

SlingerDun
10-07-07, 10:12 PM
Won't be necessary, this was my first time here posting, and I just wanted to see what other marines thought about a guy like meOther Marines? heheh well you found out what Marines here think about mystery 'members' Why not start being a new you now by putting a name and face on your story, or just go have another bong rip and cank it.

--->Dave

CuriousChris79
10-07-07, 10:25 PM
Other Marines? heheh well you found out what Marines here think about mystery 'members' Why not start being a new you now by putting a name and face on your story, or just go have another bong rip and cank it.

--->Dave

I don't smoke anymore Dave, and as I said, I don't feel its necessary cause I won't be posting here anymore.....if you think I am a "Marine" or someone who has posted here before, you are mistaken. I can understand why people don't like mystery members, but again, I dont plan on continueing this forum. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-08-07, 04:13 AM
You didn't 'waste' anyones time but if you really want to do this, then DO it. Just that simple.

Oh, and, lastly, Marines are noted for their candor, not only with other Marines, but just in general. You asked for answers, and the answers were provided. It's what Marines do.