PDA

View Full Version : Chaparral Elementary School collects books for Marines overseas

thedrifter
10-02-07, 07:45 AM
Chaparral Elementary School collects books for Marines overseas
Elementary school donates 500 books so Marines overseas can read to their children.
By EUGENE W. FIELDS
STAFF WRITER

Chaparral Elementary School prides itself on the tenants of character, education and community service and what school Principal Dr. Kevin Rafferty calls "Random Acts of Kindness."

Rafferty, his staff, students and their parents did a huge random act for the 1st Battalion, 11th Marines and their families on Sept. 28. The school donated approximately 500 children's books in conjunction with the city of San Juan Capistrano as part of a Read-Along Program for the Marines.

The books and blank DVDs will be sent to Iraq where soldiers will be recorded reading. The disks will then be sent home so their children can see their parents reading to them from overseas.

"We try to do things like that here at the school. It's a great project and an easy thing to do and very natural thing to do, too," Rafferty said. "Along those lines as well, hats off to our parent community, because they are so in tune with all of this."

The idea came from Marie Sykes, a second-grade teacher who lives in San Juan Capistrano.

"I knew that generosity would come forth and I knew the importance of this for the parents and (their children)," Sykes said. "I had every confidence and that's why I really wanted this school to become involved."

Rafferty said the school asked families to bring in a brand new or a gently used book that would be suitable for a read-aloud for kids of elementary school age. In just three weeks, the school was able to donate eight boxes full of books.

"I think it's more than we expected, but it's a random act of kindness for the kids on the other end," Rafferty said. What a noble cause to help our Marines and in turn, be helping the Marines' children. It really is a perfect tie-in with what we do here at the school."

Contact the writer: 949-454-7308 or efiends@ocregister.com

Ellie