PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Uniforms

rvillac2
09-30-07, 08:06 PM
More trivia/information for poolees:

Examples of the Marine Corps Uniforms can be found at:
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/uniform_plates.htm

However, these pictures don't distinguish the names for each variation. The only uniforms with variants are the Blue and Service uniforms. The key to remember is that the Alpha uniform of each is most formal and gets less formal as we go from Bravo to Delta.

Service Alpha
Green trousers, Long Sleeve Khaki Blouse with tie, Green Coat with Ribbons and Badges.

Service Bravo
Green trousers, Long Sleeve Khaki Blouse with tie, with Ribbons, badges optional.

Service Charlie
Green trousers, Short Sleeve Khaki Blouse, with Ribbons, badges optional.

Blue Alpha
Blue trousers, Blue coat, with Ribbons and Medals.

Blue Bravo
Blue trousers, Blue coat, with Ribbons and Badges

Blue Charlie
Blue trousers, Long Sleeve Khaki Blouse with tie, with Ribbons, badges optional.

Blue Delta
Blue trousers, Short Sleeve Khaki Blouse, with Ribbons, badges optional.

Fellow Marines, please feel free to elaborate.

SMDPitt
10-01-07, 01:00 AM
2 questions:

What are the rules on sleeves up and sleeves down for cammies?
and
I've heard differing reports. Are Dress blues being issued at boot or no?

rvillac2
10-01-07, 01:16 AM
Reports differ because they differ by duty station. The main constants are, summer=sleeves up, winter or in field, sleeves down.

I haven't heard solid confirmation on blues being issued, yet. However, if it were to happen, they would be issued but the cost would be deducted from your pay.

Side note: The proper term for that uniform is Utilities. Can one of the new Marines answer this. Are you still calling them cammies? or insisting on using the term MARPATs?

Covey_Rider
10-01-07, 05:16 AM
We always refer to them as cammies. We'll say greens or deserts when it needs to be said. But besides that...cammies.

BR34
10-01-07, 05:26 AM
2 questions:

What are the rules on sleeves up and sleeves down for cammies?
and

The rule is simple. If you're in desert cammies roll your sleves. If you're in greens you don't roll them.

downey
10-01-07, 08:49 AM
I noticed the Sergeant Major insignia is missing from the enlisted chart and the CWO5 insignia is not on the officer chart. Is there a reason for this, or did somebody just make a mistake?

2 questions:
I'm fairly certain they are. The guys that have been coming to visit the pool when they get back from boot camp always tell us how cool it is being able to go everywhere in dress blues the day you get back.

Jdncowboy
10-01-07, 10:24 AM
Hey Cpl. Covey Rider. Congrats on the promotion, I don't know if I am a little behind on saying it. But Congrats anyways.

rvillac2
10-01-07, 10:36 AM
I noticed the Sergeant Major insignia is missing from the enlisted chart and the CWO5 insignia is not on the officer chart. Is there a reason for this, or did somebody just make a mistake?

I'm fairly certain they are. The guys that have been coming to visit the pool when they get back from boot camp always tell us how cool it is being able to go everywhere in dress blues the day you get back.

The SgtMaj exemplar is there as the Green Alpha chevrons. They used SgtMaj of Marine Corps as the exemplar for the Blues chevrons.

CWO5 is no longer granted in the Corps.

Everyone is allowed the option to purchase the Blues so that they can wear them after graduation. However, the question was when they will be issued, meaning everyone is forced to get them.

rvillac2
10-01-07, 10:38 AM
Hey Cpl. Covey Rider. Congrats on the promotion, I don't know if I am a little behind on saying it. But Congrats anyways.

Gangway, boot NCO! Congrats, Corporal. Standby for chevron and bloodstripe pinnings!

Integrity57
10-01-07, 11:51 AM
Congrats to you Covey, it's hard to believe you're 18, you certainly don't conduct yourself like a teenager. I guess that and your hard work is why the Corps decided to make you an NCO. You deserve it, good job Marine.

HurricaneRJ
10-01-07, 12:08 PM
Nice going Cpl. Covey. Nice ring to it, can't believe your younger than me. Just shows that your a kick-ass type of guy.

kbs95125
10-01-07, 12:39 PM
The rule is simple. If you're in desert cammies roll your sleves. If you're in greens you don't roll them.

This elaborates more on that....
http://www.*************/features/0,15240,144278,00.html

As far as when I think this covers it:
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/NCR%20Uniform%20of%20the%20Day.txt

I am 99.9% thats the updated regulations, but hopefully a Marine can correct anything those don't cover.

kbs95125
10-01-07, 12:43 PM
Congrats Cpl. Stam

kbs95125
10-01-07, 12:49 PM
replace ******** with military dot com.

Covey_Rider
10-01-07, 05:37 PM
The latest word that I have heard concerning dress blues. Is that they will start issueing them in boot camp starting 1 Oct. Any Marine that joined before that time that is still serving, will get an increased uniform allowance and it will be mandatory for Marines to purchase a set of blues if they do not already own them.

Thank you everybody on the congradulations...the wet down is going this friday night. Anybody out in oki is free to join! Doubt that there is anybody here on this site that is in oki...but I'll toss it out there anyways. I swear that somebody came into my room overnight and start swinging a baseball bat at my legs...can't explain it lol.

BR34
10-01-07, 05:55 PM
I am 99.9% thats the updated regulations, but hopefully a Marine can correct anything those don't cover.

October 29 = Wear green cammies
April 1 = Wear desert cammies, sleeves rolled.

1 week prior to Oct 29 we are allowed to wear deserts w/o sleeves rolled.

BR34
10-01-07, 05:57 PM
I swear that somebody came into my room overnight and start swinging a baseball bat at my legs...can't explain it lol.

Congrats Cpl.

I can't even imagine the feeling. I pined on LCpl today, and boy did THAT [not] hurt. Can't even imagine the pain that [doesn't] come along with pinning on Cpl. ;)

downey
10-01-07, 08:03 PM
The SgtMaj exemplar is there as the Green Alpha chevrons. They used SgtMaj of Marine Corps as the exemplar for the Blues chevrons.

CWO5 is no longer granted in the Corps.

Everyone is allowed the option to purchase the Blues so that they can wear them after graduation. However, the question was when they will be issued, meaning everyone is forced to get them.
Oh... Got it. Thank you for the information, sir.

Jdncowboy
10-01-07, 10:15 PM
Congrats Cpl.

I can't even imagine the feeling. I pined on LCpl today, and boy did THAT [not] hurt. Can't even imagine the pain that [doesn't] come along with pinning on Cpl. ;)

Congrats on your promotion Lcpl. BR03

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-02-07, 07:29 PM
The mysterious pain in your leg makes you a part of a long and proud warrior tradition.

ericamarine
10-02-07, 09:15 PM
Unless things changed they are issueing dress blues in boot that is where I got mine

rvillac2
10-02-07, 11:02 PM
The mysterious pain in your leg makes you a part of a long and proud warrior tradition.

leg(s). OOHRAH

yesyouam
10-03-07, 06:09 PM
I always liked referring to the cammies as my "tree suit".
Sleeves up or sleeves down seemed to go squadron by squadron.
Meaning, instead of just waking up one morning and rolling my sleeves up, I'd wait until the word came down to go sleeves up. My memory's a little foggy on this, though!

Paul120689
10-03-07, 08:21 PM
I have searched the internet and this site, but I still can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe one of you guys will have the answer. What determines the graduating uniform?

HurricaneRJ
10-03-07, 08:22 PM
I think it's "Who" determines the graduating uniform.

Paul120689
10-03-07, 08:25 PM
Is it what the Drill Instructor wants? Or is there a reason for wearing the Servie Alpha, Bravo or Charlie Uniform?

Integrity57
10-03-07, 08:27 PM
From what I understand, I believe the weather dictates what uniform is worn for graduation. But I'm not 100% sure on this, can a Marine verify this?

rvillac2
10-03-07, 09:35 PM
Season and command determine the graduation uniform. I have only seen them in Service Alpha in winter or Charlie in summer.

Paul120689
10-03-07, 09:37 PM
Thanks, that had been bothering me for a while.