PDA

View Full Version : Priorities and common sense lacking in society

thedrifter
09-30-07, 08:39 AM
Priorities and common sense lacking in society
By Letters to the Editor
Record Bee
Article Launched:09/28/2007 08:40:08 PM PDT

A friend sent me a photo the other day, it was of Marines scrambling from their barracks in one of our war zones, in the background was a marker board on the wall that read "America is not at War, America is at the Mall, the Marines are at War" along with the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Lake County doesn't have a mall, so we entertain ourselves with issues of great import such as crossdressing Mohawk wearers, whether we should rename a town and does global climate change exist.

I've been spellbound by the new Ken Burns documentary on WWII. This country was at war and everyone knew it, felt it and sacrificed for it. There is no shared sacrifice in this day and age. We finance it by borrowing from countries that can't wait to slit our throats. We pay attention to our military only after some horrific event occurs (Walter Reed, unarmored personnel). Then, the next shiny new object brightly painted with lead paint and freshly imported from somewhere else comes into view, and we're back to "War, what war?"

Kids need to be educated and that means parents must pay attention and be involved. How about parental sponsorship of monetary rewards for good grades and more homework for bad ones? Global climate change it will happen no matter how many people say hogwash I favor relocating those who doubt it to low sea level islands. Want to rename a town? At least make an offer to foot the bill for the immense cost it will incur when you proffer such an idea.

We are involved in a global war on terror which technically makes it World War III. Most days around here, one would be hard pressed to find any evidence of it. We can't even discuss its legitimacy when we ignore its very existence.

Donna Christopher

Lucerne