PDA

View Full Version : Support the troops, Adopt a Marine

thedrifter
09-27-07, 06:28 PM
Support the troops, Adopt a Marine
BRITTANY YEAROUT
Perspectives Editor

If you have not recently visited the Café, you probably haven’t had the chance to become the proud parent of a Marine. Last week, senior Haley Rice started Adopt a Marine, which gives a student, faculty, or staff member at Pepperdine the opportunity to write at least one letter a week to a Marine stationed in Iraq. Not a bad idea, considering how comfortable we are relaxing in the Malibu sun and the only thing we have to complain about is how much homework we have to get done.

Rice got this brilliant idea from her cousin, 21 year-old Joshua Norton who is stationed in Iraq for the second time, when he told her that a lot of men go through a whole deployment without one letter from home — not even something that is as simple as “Thank you for serving our country so bravely.”

My first thought was, why? There are only three reasons that I can think of: 1) Americans are too caught up in their own lives to give time to our soldiers and Marines in Iraq; 2) Others are so consumed with the “hate Bush” atmosphere that they forget how important it is to, no matter what stance you take on the war, support our troops; 3) Some people don’t know how to go about showing them support.

Well Rice has scratched out the last reason, 110 people including women, men, and three faculty families at Pepperdine have committed themselves to Adopt a Marine, and some of the letters are already arriving. The idea is that even when you are a kid at camp or better yet a Pepperdine student it is fun to receive email and it is even more significant to a Marine who is on the front line.

The people who have adopted a Marine each received a specific name because Norton, who is a platoon leader of 3/3 Weapons Company, gave Rice all of his Marine’s names. Rice randomly matched them up except for making sure no women were writing to married men.

In addition to sending a letter to a Marine, Rice recommends the people who adopted a Marine to also send a care package every now and then. It is amazing how something as little as gum or a CD can put a smile on a Marine’s face. The platoon just came back from a 17-day mission, which consisted of three hours of sleep per night and one meal a day. So, when they do make it back to base camp, these types of care packages give Marines light at the end of the tunnel — a reminder of home, something that is not always related to Iraq.

After learning about Adopt a Marine, I curiously typed in “what is life like in Iraq” in Google. I came across “The Secret Letter from Iraq” posted on Oct. 6, 2006, at the official Web site of Time Magazine. The letter is a clear-cut account of life in Iraq by a Marine officer who intended it to be read by close family and friends.

“There’s really not much to write about. More exactly, there’s not much I can write about because practically everything I do, read or hear is classified military information or is depressing to the point that I’d rather just forget about it, never mind write about it,” wrote the anonymous Marine.

Reading the letter made me realize how important it is for us to support our troops, no matter what is going on in The White House. The Marine goes on to write about his most surreal moment, biggest surprise, proudest moment ect.

It is reading letters like this one, and writing back and forth to a Marine that helps civilians keep the troops close to their hearts, because in times of war, emotional support for the troops will keep us united.

Rice plans on incorporating other platoons throughout Pepperdine and perhaps even to the Malibu community. What is significant about this Adopt a Marine is that people actually know the name of the Marines they are writing letters to, which makes it more personal and satisfying on both ends.

Despite your politics, show your support for the troops and contact Rice at Hayley.S.Rice@pepperdine.edu.

Ellie