PDA

View Full Version : B-24 Air Force

cadetat6
09-24-07, 01:31 PM
No 1

Hi Again Art

When we were flying phase training at Chatham Fld. Sav. Ga. We were training formation flying and hit a weather front , I didn’t see it, but one plane crashed. The only person who got out was the ball turret man. There is no room for a chute so you have to leave it on the deck, now this man climbed out of the ball , got his chute on , saw the guys in the waist pinned by centrifugal force to the side of the plane, and had no idea how or where he left the plane. He was the only person to survive. When we were flying missions we could see the B-17s off to the right or left of our bomber stream and would see them spin in then they might come out of the spin for a minute and you would see some chutes pop out., then it would start to spin again sometimes the rest of the way to the ground. I would imagine some would get out thru the bomb bay, or the waist window , or the back door on the B-17, or the bottom hatch at the back of the B-24. This was a awful feeling seeing these planes going down. We were very lucky that no 262’s hit us, as they would come thru the formation and knock down 2 or 3 planes with one pass. If the Germans would have had more time to build these jet’s it would have made one hell of a difference to the AF. I was 5-8 tall and weighed 150 lbs---a good size for the ball. I think any one taller would have had a hard down there as even with my size it was crowded.

hwhap

Oct 18 2003, 09:41 PM
Post #34

General

Group: General
Member No.: 566

Thanks for posting the letter Art. It's very interesting.

Vee

cadetat6

Oct 21 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #35

Lieutenant

Group: Lieutenant
Member No.: 718

Letter from my friend Ken
Ken # 3

After finishing gunnery school at Tyndall Fld. In Florida, We reported to Westover Fld. Mass. And this is where we formed our crew. Our pilot was a former guard on the Ohio State football team. We then went to Chatham Fld. At Sav. Ga. For phase training which consisted of camera gunner flts.—tow target firing---formation flying--- all these good things. The first time we had a nite flt. Was to drop dummy bombs on the bombing range. We started our bomb run and the bombider was flying the plane with the bomb sight and all at once he yelled To the pilot take the plane---turn left, turn left nooooo J---turn right now!!!Dave whipped that 24 on it’s right wing in a turning dive and we just missed another B-24 coming in on the same range the wrong way!!!Now needless to say I never enjoyed flying at nite after this. I said to myself this is happening here in the states what the hell is it going to be like when we get overseas.

We finished phase training and went up to Mitchell Fld. Where they gave us a new B-24. We left there and opened up our orders and destination was to the 8th AF via North Atlantic . We were to land at either N.H. Bgr. Or P.I.. before heading to Goose Bay Lab. Now being from P.I. I hoped we would land there, but the way the army works we landed in N.H. and was there for 5 days . We flew right over my home on the way to Goose. After landingat Goose we were taxing on ice and in trying to make a turn slid into a B-17 taking the nose out of it, and crumpled our wing tip. They had to board up the nose of the 17 and fly it back to the states and by god they had a wing tip at Goose and replaced ours. I don’t know if the 17 crew was glad to be going back or ready to kill us. We then flew to Iceland and weathered in there for almost a week before going to Meeks Fld. They took the 24 away from us and we were transported to the 453rd BG at Old Buckingham Eng.

cadetat6

Oct 22 2003, 10:52 AM
Post #36

Lieutenant

Another letter from my friend Ken
This happened on one of our missions---The weather was bad over England, so someone thought we should take off and climb to 14 thousand ft. over France. It is hard enough trying to form up in good weather, but this was crazy as hell. We could feel the plane shake from turbulense so you knew other planes were near and hoped you didn’t have a mid-air collision. At 14 thousand ft. we were still in the soup and finally broke out at about 20,000 ft.. In the meantime our nav. Aids went out—the mission was re-called and we didn’t get it.We were lost and circled around—the co-pilot trying to reach some one on the radio when we saw 3 fighters coming at us. The P-47 and FW-190 have the same shape head on so the pilot told us not to fire until we were certain what the plane was---thank god they were our P-47s and they led over to a group of B-17s. there was also another B-24 flying with them. We figured we would go with them , witch we did and dropped our bombs,then fly back to their base,and get a heading back to our base. Well they let down thru the soup knowing where they were going and we lost them. We had to climb up thru this mess and the co-pilot got some one on the emer. Freq. It was an English lass and did she ever sound nice. She made us fly a triangle, then gave us a heading back to England. We let down over the channel and a couple of Spitfires came and checked us out, then we were given a heading back to our base. We landed and got cedit for a mission and so did our group. This was some nerve racking flying and our pilot was glad to get us back on the ground. Now landing we found out 2 of our planes didn’t come back and one of them was a kid from Presque Isle that I had gone to school with. His father was a diary farmer and delivered milk to Dad’s store. I thought I would be writing his parents about Jerry missing and all that stuff. Well the next day both planes came back and the guys were hungover and had loads of booze, as they had landed in France. I told Jerry that was the last time I would worry over him!! They didn’t get credit for a mission either.

cadetat6

Oct 26 2003, 08:07 PM
Post #37

Lieutenant

Letter from my friend Ken,
Hi Art,

When the air crews first arrived in England they really had it rough. We didn:t have a fighter that could escourt the bombers all the way in and back on a mission. The Germans had plenty of fighters and shot down so many of our bombers that the life of a crew was not very long. If they got 25 in it was quite a feat. The P-51 changed the odds a lot and the number of missions was raised to 30 and then to 35. If you stop and analize the fact that there were at least 10 men on each plane and at least 8 planes in each sqdn., 4 sqdns in each bomb gp, so a gp. could have as many as 32 to 40 planes flying a mission. A bomb gp. in the early days of the war had only one plane return, so multiply this by 10 and this is why the Air Force had such a high loss.

I am so glad I got over there when I did. We had those beautiful P-51s with us all the way. The flak was still rough, but at least our chances were much better than the early crews.

Thanks for the forward about the 453rd memorial at Old Buckingham

cadetat6

Oct 28 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #38

yellowwing
09-24-07, 02:48 PM
Never forget that before Air Force claimed their name thousands of young men climbed into pistoned engine aircraft and fought thier way into history.

cadetat6
09-26-07, 05:05 PM
Hi, Yellowing,
I am wondering about AIR force, I am a littel lost. Air Force replaced Air Corp . In 1942 I had my pilot license, 1943 I enlisted in Army Air Corp ,1945 they had too many pilots and I was put in the Infantry. My brother-in-law was a Marine officer at Bougainville, and my brother was wounded at Bastogne then K.I.A. crossing the Rhine River. I still say Corp

cadetat6 Art

yellowwing
09-26-07, 06:32 PM
I was commenting on that before the National Defense Act of 1947 Sections 207-209, Creation of the US Air Force, there were their foregoers doing a hell of a job.

cadetat6
09-26-07, 07:47 PM
HELP--Yellwing,
I have tride to register for a couple of weeks and get no-place. I fill it out and and itsaid "your login has been chosen, please try it again" every time I try it ,I get same try it again

Thank you
cadetat6 Art

huey guns
09-30-07, 07:43 PM
cadeta, my uncle flew B-24s also, his name was Ernie Miner. I don't know how many missions he flew, but I know that he had 8 water ditchings in the channel (too shot up to get over the cliffs). He never talked about it much, but you could see it in his eyes. I salute you also.

cadetat6
09-30-07, 08:01 PM
HI, Huey Guns and Yellow Wing,
Glade you enjoyed B-24 missiopns of my friend Ken. I have many story's. Here is one about B-17.

Kellogg’s All-Bran and WW2
I have a friend who was WW2 tail gunner in a B-24 in England. He had a hearty breakfast of Kellogg's All-Bran before a mission over Germany. On the mission the All-Bran started to work. He was not going to fill his pants so he left his tailgunner position and went to the bomb bay doors and relieved himself. When they got back to their base he really got chewed out by the pilot. All I can think about is the German soldier looking up and plop! he gets it right in the face and said American secret weapon but it stinks.

No More Milk
This same friend, B-24 tail gunner ,returning from a mission and flying low. He was told to shoot up all hay stacks because German’s hide there tanks under them. He comes up-on a hay stack so he starts shooting at it and just as he started shooting, a cow comes walking around the corner of the hay stack. Bang, bang no more milk, no more cow.

knew this B-17 Pilot, pre war vintage, at Clark Field. Old Bernard Tapps was his name.

One day I asked him a stright forward question, that I have often wondered about.

The Night before the crew is in the club jucing up. Well next day when you are flying, and guts rumble, and you have a choice, is it a wet or dry fart. If wet, are you going to **** your pants or try and hold it until you get back.

Old Bernie says, hell that was no problem, open bomb bay doors drop your drawers and **** your guts out. What about paper,, old Bernie says when you spray like that no need for it. But the Ground crew, bomb loaders are not to happy with **** spray on aft bulkhead. I laughed so hard I cried.

I miss the Old Guy, he was such a character. The Nose Art on his B-17 was Tapps for the Japs. A Old Cleveland, Ohio Lad.

cadetat6 Art