PDA

View Full Version : What is a Pool Function like??

Dukhnter4life
09-23-07, 06:22 PM
I am a junior in High School and I am almost positive that i want to enlist in the marines after High School. I talked to a recruiter the other day and he invited me to a pool function to workout. Can anyone tell me what a pool function is like, what we will be doing, and what i should do to prepare? I'm new at this so any information would be appreciated. thanks.

jungholee90
09-23-07, 06:24 PM
You need to fill out your profile to get answers, Forum Rules.

PooleeGuy
09-24-07, 12:10 AM
I can tell you from experience dont bring a towel or swim trunks. lol

marinepooly1361
09-24-07, 10:00 AM
its pretty casual.

just a bunch of wannabee Marines hanging out with the recruiters.....

no PT or physical exercize....;)

sometimes they feed you a GREAT meal of MRE's

kbs95125
09-24-07, 10:16 AM
It's when you use the search tool the forum has located near the top of the page....after reading through all of the rules of the site.

PerfectStorm
09-24-07, 01:58 PM
It's when you use the search tool the forum has located near the top of the page....after reading through all of the rules of the site. HE does have a point. However, since this thread is here he could have at least shed some light on the situation.

For me (in Southern California) a pool (ee) function has been a few things. Mostly meeting on Fridays at 1600 and doing max pull ups, timed crunches to the tune of two minutes and a timed mile and a half run followed by a game of football, soccer, or baseball when we have enough guys and or gals.

Sometimes we'll go out on a Saturday to Camp Pendleton or shoot down to MCRD San Diego and watch some of the former pool (ee)'s graduate. I've even heard that paintballing happened one weekend.

Most importantly is the PFT aspect of the functions. If you guys or gals don't have em' at your RSS then request it. Don't be a sap and wait till the day before you leave and HAVE to do the PFT and do the bare minimum.

Remember we are going to bootcamp to become Marines. Marines don't do bare minimum. Even if you have to imrove on your own by going out and doing max pull ups, and timed mile and a half runs and crunches. Knowing is half the battle and preparedness (if thats even a word) can add 25% more to that. So i'd rather going into something with 75% than 0% What about you...

kbs95125
09-24-07, 02:12 PM
The thread is here, as well as many other places on this forum. So is the answer.

I'm always willing and will try my best to help fellow poolees around here when they need it. That being said, we are all expected to abide by the same rules, whether or not the question has or hasn't been asked before, or an answer given.

PerfectStorm
09-24-07, 02:46 PM
I simply believe that while you repremanded you can also administered the answer as well. Sometimes these threads get buried in archieves or when he searched for it the keywords he used might not have been the keywords in which the "title" was titled or syntax used in the response to said thread titles.

This is a server on a computer. Simply put there is a lot of room for error on both behalfs. If we were out in the world and something was written on a wall in print and he/she reads it and fails to comprehend, then ask a questions pertaining to what he/she should have read and remembered then by all means, rip him/her a new one. However, you do not know that this is the case.

So instead of trolling around not helping people ESPECIALLY fellow pool (ee)'s that are just here looking for just that; HELP. you may want to remember that we are all here for the same reason that you are. However, some come to us later and some have been here earlier. Case in point dress accordingly. It's easy to point the finger at someone. It's a bit harder to help :)

Please dont take this is a negative way. Im just expressing my opinion as you have.

yellowwing
09-24-07, 02:56 PM
Congrats on stepping out from the status quo. Young men like you keep the Corps alive and well.

kbs95125
09-24-07, 03:00 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?searchid=154955

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53175&highlight=Pool+Function

By utilizing the search tool I was able to find a recent thread on the same topic using the exact title of the thread we are in now. Granted sometimes you cannot find the answer ou are looking for when using the search, but this is not one of those cases as I have proven here.

No answer should be given to anybody who doesn't have a properly filled out profile, per the site rules.

Secondly, as you have stated in a recent post to me, your EARN things, they are not given to you. Therefore, I don't know why I would feel a desire to help someone who so far has shown me nothing but a lack of attention to details. I try not to reward laziness.

And as far as trolling goes, please read through any of my previous posts, or even look at how many posts I have on this forum since I joined before you accuse me of trolling. Like I said in my previous post, I am and will try to, help my fellow poolees when they need it, but only after they have followed all the same rules I have to follow. I've been punished for breaking the rules here before, and am helping others from making the same mistakes.

Corndog
09-24-07, 03:16 PM
OK, apparently pool functions vary!!! I have been going to these since last October (when I was a Junior in high school!). My first pool function was unforgettable. We did MCMAP and beat up on the recruiters. I was teamed up with a SSgt who was very tough. But there is no usual thing with us. I've done circuit courses, confidence courses, lazer tag, 15 mile hikes, moto runs, MCMAP, and a lot more stuff that I'm forgetting. OH, family day. Who could forget family day??? They brought in a DI from MCRD San Diego, (since most of our poolees go to San Deigo) to "talk" to us as our parents watch and talk with the recruiters. His name was Sgt Pathe. I will not forget that name. At least not before I ship, anyway. That was the best EVER! But I have never, ever gone to an "easy" pool function. I have always been challenged in one way or another. That's the way I like it though. Without much challenge there cannot be much reward!!! I always walk away from them feeling AH-MAZING! OK, I hope I answered your question!!!

PerfectStorm
09-24-07, 03:17 PM
Like I said in my previous post, I am and will try to, help my fellow poolees when they need it, but only after they have followed all the same rules I have to follow. I've been punished for breaking the rules here before, and am helping others from making the same mistakes.

Well, seems to me like you were the same problem he was as your direct statement above will support. So you should know how it is when **** rolls downhill. I'm sure you didn't like it and would have like to see it pan out differently. I'm deriving that from your statement above as well.

So it seems to me that you're not looking to help. Only to hand the smackdown like you were handed and justify it because "you've gone through it"

Well, i will not break any rules, i pay attention to the details and i respect the forums and it's rules. However, i seemed to be able to help him out. Something you are still yet to do in this thread, so quit using this thread to prove that you are right. I have allready agreed that he did break the rules, and he should've been repremanded. However, at the same time when you knock him down be the first to offer a hand to pick him up if you really care and are trying to help.

Was that formulated well enough for you to finally understand what i am trying to convey to you? Or do i need to break it down even more? Furhtermore, lets not steal the bacon here. If you have anything else to say in regards to this message, PM me. We can resolve it there. This is his thread about pool (ee) functions. Not ours about morals and how to deal with people on a person to person basis and understand that with each person comes a new method of thinking. We are all pool (ee)'s, they are all Marines, some are Veterans however, none think the same and shouldn't be treated as so...

-Perkins OUT!

PerfectStorm
09-24-07, 03:30 PM
Congrats on stepping out from the status quo. Young men like you keep the Corps alive and well.

Understood Cpl. I'm just one however, so was Thomas Edison, and we all lights right:)

PerfectStorm
09-24-07, 03:37 PM
OK, apparently pool functions vary!!! I have been going to these since last October (when I was a Junior in high school!). My first pool function was unforgettable. We did MCMAP and beat up on the recruiters. I was teamed up with a SSgt who was very tough. But there is no usual thing with us. I've done circuit courses, confidence courses, lazer tag, 15 mile hikes, moto runs, MCMAP, and a lot more stuff that I'm forgetting. OH, family day. Who could forget family day??? They brought in a DI from MCRD San Diego, (since most of our poolees go to San Deigo) to "talk" to us as our parents watch and talk with the recruiters. His name was Sgt Pathe. I will not forget that name. At least not before I ship, anyway. That was the best EVER! But I have never, ever gone to an "easy" pool function. I have always been challenged in one way or another. That's the way I like it though. Without much challenge there cannot be much reward!!! I always walk away from them feeling AH-MAZING! OK, I hope I answered your question!!!

Dang, i guess things over there are a bit better than overhere. Maybe i should be the one suggesting more things from our RSS. I really thought we had a solid approach. Thanks for posting corndog.

Corndog
09-24-07, 03:40 PM
Hey, if you need ideas or something then just PM me!!! I'm always glad to help!

jungholee90
09-24-07, 11:28 PM
Thanks for filling out the profile, so here is my answer:
First, It is a great opportunity you got there, to be able to participate in pool functions and PTs starting from your Junior year. It will be a great motivation to you to stay focused with the Corps and to enlist in DEP. My RSS also has people that are Sophmores and Juniors, they come to PT every time, so that's good for them. Just wondering though I thought that pool function was only for the Poolees in the Delayed Entry Program. I might be wrong, however.

What we do at pool functions and PTs vary time to time. I only have been to one pool function (the one last saturday - hike) , so do not know so much about other activities, but it is fun for sure. My RSS have one pool function every month, and we go rock climbing next month, so I'm excited for that woo! As for PTs, we usually run a lot, and do pull-ups, crunches, and etc., so that we will do well on IST and even on PFT. My RSS meets Mondays and Thursdays for that.

Poolee gatherings are always fun and there is nothing really there for you to prepare. Just have fun, hang out, and get to know more poolees and Marines. Also PT on your own, and that will motivate you even more when you do PTs with poolees and show off how much you have improved. =P

Fubar5812
09-25-07, 10:52 AM
my last poolee function we trained on the ISMIT at the local airforce base (basically it's a big video game,with guns hooked up to pumps to make recoil and you shoot guys on a screen) and it was ALOT of fun.

you'll take the IST every so often,go on moto runs while singing cadence,learn little bits and pieces of MCMAP (nothing serious) and PT PT PT.

kbs95125
09-25-07, 12:21 PM
Our last pool function was a good one although short. We did circut excercises for about 45 minutes. Bear crawls or sprints between each excercise. Then we did 3/4 of a mile run doing Indian Sprints. Then we ran in formation 3/4 of a mile back. Nothing to serious but you could still feel it at the end of the day.

Pool functions are great, and usually a really good workout, especially if you miss the weekly PT.

My least favorite pool function had to be the car wash.....we just happened to set up shop right across the street from one of the local high schools cheerleader car washes. We didn't do too bad money wise, but I'm one of the older poolees at my RSS so I'm not close enough in the age group that got to enjoy it. Haha.

Corndog
09-25-07, 03:59 PM
Pool functions are amazing. We have PT three times a week, and you are required to show up at least once unless you have a good reason. Some of our poolees are older and have actual jobs and kids and such, so that's excused, but as far as us high school brats, no, we have to go. But it's fun, as long as we push ourselves and keep up the motivation.

Phantom Blooper
09-25-07, 07:11 PM
I can tell you from experience dont bring a towel or swim trunks. lol

I never been to a pool function with out my towel,trunks,cooler and beach chair...unless you count skinny dippin' in Waikiki in 1976.....TMI :beer:

In all seriousness poolee functions you can learn history,customs,courtesies,General Orders, train for the boot camp IST and various other activities. Depending on the size of you RSS and the funds allocated there may be more activities.If you live by a Marine base or military installation they may do different activities on the base or post.

If your living in a remote area where the only access is a camel caravan,mule,air boat or 4 wheeler your activities may be limited. But if you can make it to the RSS you will benefit with more one-on-one from your recruiter.

I still stand by my first statement even though I was born on PI the best pool function is not complete without shades and suntan lotion.:beer:

:evilgrin:

sparkie
09-25-07, 07:18 PM
Hey,, I have a pool. yall common over. I'll buy the beer. Anyway Poolees, get all you can, it'll only hurt a little.

KRenee87
09-25-07, 08:35 PM
I've only been to one function so far but it has been fun. We practiced our IST and took a test on our General Orders and ranks. You also spend a lot of time talking to other poolees and getting motivated.

You'll have a great time.

marinepooly1361
09-26-07, 08:12 AM
my last poolee function we trained on the ISMIT at the local airforce base (basically it's a big video game,with guns hooked up to pumps to make recoil and you shoot guys on a screen) and it was ALOT of fun.

you'll take the IST every so often,go on moto runs while singing cadence,learn little bits and pieces of MCMAP (nothing serious) and PT PT PT.

...LUCKY!!!!

when we went to Selfridge AFB a couple of weeks ago, thiers was down and we couldn't use it:cry:

Fubar5812
09-26-07, 08:27 AM
oh man,2 minutes after we first started firing 5 of the weapons broke! we had to use 1 of each of weapon instead of 2.

Fubar5812
09-26-07, 08:29 AM
Hey,, I have a pool. yall common over. I'll buy the beer. Anyway Poolees, get all you can, it'll only hurt a little.

be right over sparkie!

Yami Chasi
09-26-07, 11:00 AM

Are swim trunks optional or mandatory?

The poolee functions around my area are usually pretty good. From what I've seen there's usually two different types of functions. One where we all get together and PT several times a week, almost always exercising, but occasionaly some kind of sport or fun activity. And then we've got the functions where we'll usually go somewhere and do something, if it's a big thing then all the recruiting stations participate. The last one we had was a big hike out in the desert, through rocks and up hills, that was pretty fun. Before that we went ot the Marine reservist station at the local Air Force base and we got to learn about and handle weapons, learn about trucks and vehicles from the Motor T guys, drive the truck simulator, and fire the weapons simulators, then we all had MREs. Pool functions are usually a lot of fun, or at least you learn some stuff.