PDA

View Full Version : An acromym that's puzzling me

Corndog
09-22-07, 08:38 PM
OK, one of my friends sent me a text message that he is "on LCU waitin to go ashore" and I have no clue what that means. And his phone has since been turned off, so I have no way to communicate with him and this is really bothering me and Google is not much help. Thanks!

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-22-07, 08:47 PM
It means Landing Craft Utility.

Here is the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Utility) about them- it has nice pictures.

sparkie
09-22-07, 08:51 PM
Notes: 35 "LCU 2000" class utility landing craft built for US Army service, replacing older USN-design landing craft. Typical LCU design with a bow ramp and large aft superstructure. Several are deployed to Europe and aboard Afloat Prepositioning Ships. Builders: Trinity-Moss Point Marine, Escatawpa, MS; LCU 2001-2003 started at Thunderbolt Marine, Savannah, GA but completed at Trinity-Moss Point.
But i don't that is what he is talkin "bout.

Corndog
09-22-07, 08:54 PM
Notes: 35 "LCU 2000" class utility landing craft built for US Army service, replacing older USN-design landing craft. Typical LCU design with a bow ramp and large aft superstructure. Several are deployed to Europe and aboard Afloat Prepositioning Ships. Builders: Trinity-Moss Point Marine, Escatawpa, MS; LCU 2001-2003 started at Thunderbolt Marine, Savannah, GA but completed at Trinity-Moss Point.
But i don't that is what he is talkin "bout.

I have a feeling he wasn't talking about that either. Maybe it's just his way of telling me that I'm not going to be able to contact him for a while, which would explain why his phone is turned off. He's in 13 MEU, so it seems as if he is constantly coming and going somewhere! Thanks!

sparkie
09-22-07, 08:57 PM
MEU could be playin with landing craft. That's what they do. But, I'm still lookin.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-22-07, 10:23 PM
My guess is that he was on some sort of landing craft, be it AAV, LCAC, or whatever- and he called it an LCU.