PDA

View Full Version : Pot

MMAFIGHTER
09-22-07, 02:53 PM
My friend has recently started smoking pot, he didnt tell me, but he told my other friend. And my other friend told me,the kid that is smoking pot, claims he wants to be a U.S. Marine
What should I do?

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-22-07, 03:03 PM
When I had friends that started doing that, I quit being friends with them. Pretty simple. As far as helping him- not much you can do. Explain that getting arrested can keep him from ever getting in and that smoking it even once means you have to get a waiver- too many times and the waiver gets much harder to get. Once you've done that, he's pretty much on his own.

Marine84
09-22-07, 03:17 PM
mind ya bizness and stay away from him.

MMAFIGHTER
09-22-07, 05:16 PM
Well hes my bestfriend.
And hes been having family problems
and he thinks it will help..
=/

BR34
09-22-07, 06:30 PM
Tell him to stop smoking it and start selling it. That's sure to help with the family problems.

This "friend" wouldn't happen to be you now would it?

SlingerDun
09-22-07, 06:35 PM
Sure smoking pot will help: draining financial resources, neglecting work or studies, dismissing real concerns, whatever, breaking laws, who cares. And growing man tits.

You can help a 'best' or any friend to a point where it starts negatively effecting YOUR life, then its usually not worth it. If he wont listen and at least try to change then you ignore him and fade away and you will never again be best friends. True friends are few and far between and if this is guy is one he should at least show thought and appreciation for your concern, and its possible you all could still be best friends decades from now if you help him, help himself and he returns effort. It could be a chore but he probably wont forget it.

--->Dave

MMAFIGHTER
09-22-07, 07:00 PM
YEah
and no thats not me.
Smoking pot is stupid.

Zulu 36
09-22-07, 07:07 PM
Well hes my bestfriend.
And hes been having family problems
and he thinks it will help..
=/
Reality. What a concept! (Robin Williams)

Sure, smoking weed will help ease the pain of life. He might as well add alcohol, heroin, crack, and top it off with a healthy dose of meth. "Reality" will change or cease to exist.

If he goes into the Corps, how does he plan to deal with the stress of that?

sparkie
09-22-07, 07:33 PM
It is worth it to not go away,,,IF you can be a positive influence kinda friend. Without getting too close, Know what I mean? If he has probs, he's calling out. Pot, short term has no apparant drawbacks,,,, in the short term, but they exist. Call it training your brain,,, In a bad way. Medium term shows that training,, Lathargic, Non disiplined, Lazy brain, and the unavoidable no give a chit lifestyle. Later on , there is no changing. You are what you eat.
I have said this ASSUMING pot don't lead him to Other stuff, Which it does most of the time.

sgt tony
09-22-07, 07:54 PM
There is no reason to go to pot it will miss your life up. Tell him to quite or if he want then you need to stay away from him cause it can get you in trouble also.

Isrowei
09-22-07, 08:02 PM
This kinda gets my soapbox. So bear with me, I feel kinda strongly about this.

Pot is the #1 starter drug that often leads to experimenting with harder more immediately dangerous drugs.

That being said, confront him. Tell him that the Marines won't take kindly to his drug use. If he doesn't tell and pops when he arrives here... people like me kick people like him back to wherever they came from... and with bad paperwork.

If he does declare his drug use to a recruiter, it requires a waiver and is entered into his permanent record. There is no running from it. It is illegal and it is wrong. After that, I'd find a new friend. That doesn't mean you can't be friendly towards him.... but severely limit your contact and interaction with him.

Friends don't drag their friends down into illegal activity. Tell him if he wants help, counselling, someone to talk to... you're there for him. But if he wants to do drugs... he's on his own.

If it were me... I'd call the cops on him myself when I knew he was carrying it. I don't tolerate drug use around me in any form, no matter how slight. One of the few things I have an absolutely zero tolerance level for. And I don't believe in temporary lapses in judgment when it comes to drugs. It's a choice, pure and simple. Make the wrong choice... be prepared to pay the piper in full.

Zulu 36
09-22-07, 08:21 PM
Here's another not-so hypothetical situation.

You're driving your pot smoking buddy around town once you get your license, and the cops pull you over. Your "buddy" hides his stash in your center console (or under the seats) while you're busy watching in the side view mirror as the cop walks up.

For whatever reason, the cop asks consent to search your car and you allow the search believing your car is clean. Cops find dope.

You say, "That isn't mine!!!" Cops say, "That's what they all say. You're under arrest." Or, "Here's your appearance ticket." Same thing as far as the Marine Corps is concerned.

Hopefully for you, the stash was "only" marijuana and your "friend" hadn't graduated to bigger and worse.

When I was a cop, I'd find a lawful reason to zap everyone in the car if I could. Yes, I was a pr*ck. I hate illegal drugs almost as much as I hate pedophiles.

Marine84
09-23-07, 09:02 AM
Tell him to stop smoking it and start selling it. That's sure to help with the family problems.

Mo money, mo money, mo money!

Seriously, since you say he's your "best" friend..................let him know the Corps don't want him if he's smokin' that $h!t. IF he is on the road to destruction, you DO NOT want to ride with him and he WILL take you with him if you let him. He's already lieing to you by not telling you of his usage - he'll eventually start stealing from you to get it.

Let him know what your feelings are and limit your interaction with him until he shows that he's stopped. You don't want YOUR life to go to hell in a hand basket because somebody else fkd up, you know?