PDA

View Full Version : Question about personals

MinorityReport
09-18-07, 10:06 PM
Im seriously considering joining the marines, and I just have a simple question about bootcamp..

Will I be able to have tweezers, toe nail clippers, a mirror, Q tips and some neosporin?

Im just wondering because sometimes the little things go a long long way.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-18-07, 10:13 PM
You'll have what is issued to you- nothing more and nothing less. for what it is worth you will have Q tips, but not for the reason you're thinking. Mirrors are in the head- so you can look at yourself if you really feel the need.

Next time, read the rules before you post. Marine is always capitalized.

And, to be blunt- if you're worried about tweezers and nail clippers you aren't ready to be a Marine.

rvillac2
09-18-07, 10:17 PM
Always capitalize Marine.

No mirror, no tweezers, and no neosporin.

There are mirrors in the head.
What would you tweeze anyway?
No neosporin. If you get a boo-boo, you will be ordered to attack sick bay.

Stand by to get teased with this question.

MinorityReport
09-18-07, 10:33 PM
Alright, I was just wondering because sometimes I get really bad ingrown toenails if I dont take care of my feet. The tweezers, toenail clippers and neosporin allow me to do self surgery.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-18-07, 10:38 PM
You don't have to do self surgery. If you get an ingrown toenail you will be sent to medical where it will be cut out and a medication will be put on it that keeps it from happening to most people from then on.

I get them all the time, even after having them taken care of. You can get it done with just the clippers, or as I learned in the field once even your teeth.

rvillac2
09-18-07, 10:48 PM
... or as I learned in the field once even your teeth.

Ok. definition of salty.

MinorityReport
09-18-07, 10:48 PM
Great, my feet should do just fine then.
:yes:

Marine84
09-18-07, 10:51 PM
Ok. definition of salty.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Isrowei
09-18-07, 10:53 PM
I had tweezers in boot. Didn't stop me from getting a horrendous ingrown toenail and having to get it cut out....

Bottom line is: If you need it.. ask. You never know what your Drill Instructors may have on-hand.. and what they might be willing to give you. Worth 30 extra pushups on the quarterdeck...? Up to you. But if it were me and kept me out of sickcall except for the real emergencies.. I'd give 100 Hello Dollies and a couple Dog ****ers to boot and call it square.

15 min of physical pain is cheap compared to a rep and a sickbay commando. And a question is the cheapest form of intelligence you'll ever find.

Cheers.

Haffner
09-18-07, 11:42 PM
Isrowei hit the nail right on the head on that one. Sick bay commando is a terrible title to get; once a couple of people call you that, it spreads quickly.

I had to get a lot of dental work done in bootcamp and caught a nasty fever twice; a DI called me sickbay commando and I lost the respect of the other recruits for a while; they all thought I was faking the funk and skatin' on by.

Oh well, I shot better than all of them and had one of the best PFTs, so no worries.

Moral: if anyone calls you that, don't just prove 'em wrong: beat 'em. The look on their face will be worth being called that ten fold.

PatriotGirl422
09-19-07, 08:40 AM
We were given neosporin when we got to boot. Some girls bought tweezers on our first px visit, but were told that they weren't allowed to have them (or nail clippers). We had to earn that priviledge. I think we were allowed to buy those items in 3rd phase. Of course, we were allowed to request nail clippers once in a while to cut our nails, but we had to give them back. I think it's up to the discretion of your DI's and if they are in a bad mood when they learn that you bought tweezers.