PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Sneakers

RCM
09-18-07, 03:35 PM
does anyone know what kind of sneakers we should have for boot camp.

thanks a lot.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-18-07, 03:40 PM
The kind that teach you to read the rules before you post.

The Rules (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048)

Ultimawpnx
09-18-07, 04:24 PM
They'll give you some. If you need soles, they'll check your feet and give you those too...of course you'll find out you paid for them later.

rvillac2
09-18-07, 05:10 PM
I think they still issue New Balance.

Ultimawpnx
09-18-07, 05:20 PM
Yep, except they look a little bit better than the ones previous cycle haha. But it won't matter, he'll still get them all nasty and dirty.

Cricket
09-18-07, 05:22 PM
I was told to wear a good pair of "running shoes" but in my non-Marine, undisciplined state I brought "cross trainers" instead. I was issued a pair of New Balance running shoes and my Nike's were stored with my civilian clothes. I would say don't worry about shoes and just take the one's your issued, then you'll be in uniform with the rest of your platoon.

RCM
09-18-07, 05:33 PM
Alright. Thanks a lot for the help.

Eddie Z
09-18-07, 08:55 PM
Like Everyone else said, you will be issued your "go fasters" after you surrender your civilian shoes and lace on some boots.:evilgrin:

Killa K
09-18-07, 11:55 PM
I remember being thrown into one of those strange bright yellow rooms at MCRD San Diego and given a pair of new balances by a nice hispanic lady in her 50s. She was the only person who treated me kindly at that place...

GC8496
06-15-09, 11:10 AM
The SNCOIC at my station says to wear running shoes when I ship. He says that I will be allowed to wear my shoes at Recruit Training or if I choose can have a new pair issued. Can any of you Marines shed some light on this?

Thanks a lot and regards,

P.S I know that running shoes aren't exactly listed in the "what to bring to boot camp" thread I am just asking because I am hearing this from a Gnysgt.

0231Marine
06-15-09, 11:34 AM
That's a big negative! The whole point of everyone getting issued the same gear is uniformity. They're not going to have all the recruits but one wear the standard issue go fasters and then let some recruit be special and wear his Nike's. You can wear them until about 30 minutes after you're there. Then you'll wear what the hell they tell you to.

Supersquishy
06-15-09, 11:53 AM
We were issued those Red and Yellow go fasters, I think we were some of the last recruits that got those hidious things...

sbombard15
06-15-09, 11:55 AM
Do they have good support? I have shin splint issues ad have been wondering about this for awhile now.

Lisa 23
06-15-09, 11:58 AM
The SNCOIC at my station says to wear running shoes when I ship. He says that I will be allowed to wear my shoes at Recruit Training or if I choose can have a new pair issued. Can any of you Marines shed some light on this?

P.S I know that running shoes aren't exactly listed in the "what to bring to boot camp" thread I am just asking because I am hearing this from a Gnysgt.
That's Gunnery Sergeant to you.....not GySgt! If you are going to abbreviate......at least get it right!

Alisium
06-15-09, 12:24 PM

I don't know about 0231 but we were allowed to bring and wear our own gofasters. And when you get to the fleet everyone wears their own gofasters, there is no uniformity there.

In fact, that is a better option as you can wear them for about a week before recruit training and break them in, instead of having to break in new issued. Plus you can go to a shoe shop and actually take the time to buy just the right sneaker. Not everyone can wear the same ones. I can't wear Nikes, anymore, some asics and usually I stick with NB.

When I was in they issued the red, white and yellow Nikes, then they went to the green and black (asics?). Don't know what they issue now.

If your recruiter tells you that you can wear your own, then it's a good bet you can.

As a Marine, your feet can be your most important asset. Learn to take care of them from the get go.

:flag:

GySgtRet
06-15-09, 12:32 PM
go with a comfortable pair of shoes of your choosing. All these new kinds of shoes would have been great to have when I went thru in 73. We were issued PF Flyers. If you had flat feet, (yes some get thru) then you were really in trouble these were the most uncomfortable pieces of crap that I ever wore, no support and they didn't hold up to the water or your sweat either.

Gunny out
:usmc:

Wyoming
06-15-09, 02:11 PM
Damm, but I don't remember getting issued tennis shoes.

Boots and shower shoes.

06-15-09, 02:46 PM

Boots and shower shoes.

That was it for us in '75, Al. I was a little lost at the beginning of this thread. "Uhh?, tennis shoes??" It's no doubt better for boots to have good shoes, though.

DGardner
06-15-09, 03:15 PM
Do they have good support? I have shin splint issues ad have been wondering about this for awhile now.

They're just normal New Balance shoes. Nothing special about them. So, if you have problems with New Balance...

Supersquishy
06-15-09, 03:56 PM
............way back when I was in Boot, we wore nothing, yes thats right nothing! We wen't barefoot, bare as a babies butt. Them darn callists would be thicker than the broad side of the Merimack! We Marines!:mad:

drillinstructor
06-15-09, 05:26 PM
This is a dead issue. YOU WILL BE ISSUED RUNNING SHOES AND YOU WILL WEAR THEM. Whatever shoes you show up with will be stored for 3 months.

ameriken
06-15-09, 06:05 PM

Boots and shower shoes.I dont either. I seem to remember doing all our runs and PT test in boots.

srinaldo86
06-15-09, 06:15 PM
Wear shoes that are easy to get on and off rapidly, same with socks. If you want to make a good impression with your receiving drill instructors you'll dress nice. They will correspond with your actual Drill Instructors prior to you picking up. They wont have time to get to know all of you but if you shine like a turd, they'll make a point to let your Drill Instructors know.
Within the first 15 minutes or so they'll have you step on a black box with a white glowing top, look at your feet and tell you "5," "8," or "GO AWAY." If you're a 5 or 8 they'll write it on your hand and you'll get insoles. Later on I'm not exactly sure when but within about 24 hours you'll have a brand new pair of New Balance running shoes. Probably the Blue and Grey/Silver ones still, cant imagine much has changed in 9 months. They're not bad shoes at all I never even got blisters.

P.S. Shortly after you step on that black glowing box you get to make your phone call home.

Wyoming
06-15-09, 06:54 PM
This is a dead issue. YOU WILL BE ISSUED RUNNING SHOES AND YOU WILL WEAR THEM. Whatever shoes you show up with will be stored for 3 months.

thanks there DI like i was just wondering like can i bring my own laces so i can like find my shoes easier when you DIs throw them like on the floor like i have some pretty ones that my new best friend my recruiter like gave me that like say us marines like on them and like can you hurry and answer this so i can like tell my mommy to wash them and i will like have them in my cell phone case when i like get to basic