PDA

View Full Version : Questions, Please Give all opinons/answers

brandon23
09-18-07, 12:39 AM
I Graduated this year and have been planing on joining the Marine Core for some time now. i have been going to the Recruting Station every Week on Thursdays For PT, plan to go to MEPS (sorry if thats wrong) by the end of this mounth, and leave for Basic in November. That is the earylist The recruters said i could go. and i have had alot of questions and i cant really get stright answers out of my recruiter, SSGT. Morales. Please all inquires will help.

1. i want to enlist under the MOS, 0311, Rifleman. i have look'd at all of the MOS's and this one seems to intrest me the most, its seems to me the MOS were i would get the most out of the Marine Core, the whole Marine Expirence, Thats really what i want. is this a good idea?

2. I will enlist as active and hope to maby be a Carrer Marine. Day to Day civilian life just dosnt seem to entrigue me, the Marin Core does. But After a Tour of duty, (or more than one) What is thier to do with the rest of my Marine Carrer if i am not in a Combat Zone, what exacttly would i do if i was to stay active? or can i not? Can i live on a base? what would i do if i did?

3. What is it like day to day in a combat zone, im sorry if this offends some of you but im curious, im 100% dedicated to joining. i just dont know what to expect WHEN i do a tour.

Well Thanks

rvillac2
09-18-07, 12:53 AM
Before we offer you any answers, you'll need to fill out your profile AND read the rules of the site. You need to improve your spelling while you're at it.

Covey_Rider
09-18-07, 08:38 AM
Ok first off I would suggest going and downloading mozilla firefox, and use it instead of internet explorer because firefox has an integrated spell check haha. What you want to do in the Marines is up to you...if you give us a list of MOS's that you are interested in then I guarantee that you will get information about each of those jobs. But just wanting to know if being an 0311 is a good idea doesn't really give us much to work with.

It's Marine Corps...if you're not in a combat zone you will be training or doing something useful, don't worry. Yes you WILL live on base...it's like living in an apartment with a roommate.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-18-07, 11:22 AM
1. That depends on you. If you want to be an infantryman it is a good idea. Of course, you enlist as 0300- not 0311.

2. The military exists whether we're at war or not. If you're not deployed to a combat zone somewhere in the world you will be training to be ready when you are.

3. There is nothing that anyone could say to you that could explain what life is like in a war zone. We could tell you that you'll be doing patrols, etc. but that doesn't come close to telling you what you'll need to know. Just go to boot camp and you'll learn along the way.

brandon23
09-19-07, 11:40 PM
i filld out my bio

Sgt Leprechaun
09-20-07, 12:11 AM
You still need to work on SPELLING. I guess basic English is no longer taught.

The Marines refer to this as "attention to detail". If you have a high school education, even in this day and age, you should be able to spell, use proper punctuation, capitalization, and such. Yes, it does matter. If you can't follow those simple rules on this site, you'll find yourself dodging rounds long before any questions you have will be answered.

DIBLO7
09-21-07, 11:57 AM
First off, my eyes are bleeding from trying to read your writing... so learn to type...But to answer your questions, you only pick a field not an actual mos, so you could end up being any of the 03 MOS'; however, the majority of them are 11's, so you would probably get that one anyway.

What exactly are you trying to get out of the Marine Corps? Its hard to say which MOS you'll get the most out of the Marine Corps without knowing what you are trying to get? For example, if you want to have the abilty to go to the most random duty stations, 0151 is probably the best MOS for you, as they need admin everywhere, including the grunt battalions. If you want to be on the front lines and in Iraq (or wherever the most recent conflict has sent us) then 03 is probably the best for you.

Bottom line is that whole "every Marine is a rifleman" quote is true. It doesn't matter what your MOS is you will train, you will deploy, and chances are you will be putting rounds downrange.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "day to day" Marine Corps is not to much different from a regular job when you are not deployed..(however, its been so long now since I've had a regular job my opinion might be skewed) you wake up in the morning, PT, eat chow, work, lunch, work, get off, go home, hang out, sleep, rinse and repeat. The only exception is that you throw in training every now and then, more so depending on your MOS.

Unless you are married your probably going to HAVE to live on base for until you are at least a Sergeant. You'll live in a barracks room with at least one other roomate (at one point I had 3 roomates). While I cannot attest to the current barracks situations around the Marine Corps as I am stuck out in a Navy base up in Washington State, my impression is that they have greatly improved since I was living in them a few years ago.

Life in a combat zone is hard to explain. I think the quote is 5% action and 95% anticipation, or somthing like that, and it holds true. I honestly can't properly explain to you what a combat zone is like, as you wouldn't understand even if I told you. All I can say is trust your training that you will get and you will be prepared.

Hope that answers your questions, and don't forget this...when you say Marine Corps, it is CORPS, nor CORE.