PDA

View Full Version : MOS for FBI

HeavyMetalHero
09-16-07, 11:45 PM
Hello all. I have been a viewer of this site for a while and finally i decided to register. I am looking to gather some opinions (anyone with an opinions).

My ideal plan is to join a branch of the military (most likely the Marines) for a term and transition into the FBI.

I need advice on an MOS. It needs to be combat arms or MP (I want to have a chance at FBI's HRT). As of now I am in college, but who knows if I will finish before I begin my service or if I will "take a break" from college and serve inbetween. For this reason the MOS needs to be available to both Enlisted and Officers.

What I have looked at are the following:

Infantry - your basic Combat Arms job, probably better experience for Enlisted persons.

Armor - Not a huge fan of tanks, but that is probably due to my ignorance of them.

Artillary - Again, I plead ignorance on this one.

MP - Not considered "Combat Arms" but accepted as "Tactical Team" training.

Also, is there a difference in training for E vs O? Forgive my ignorance but I have heard from 1st hand sources that most Officers are paper pushers.

I look forward to anyone and everyone's opinion, and if there is anything I am wrong about, please correct me!

Thank you.

Zulu 36
09-17-07, 06:40 AM
First, if you have been doing your research, the FBI requires a bachelor's degree as a minimum. They prefer a law degree, accounting, or computer science. Graduate degrees in those academic disciplines are also preferred.

They are not terribly interested in the MOS you had in the military, unless it is computer stuff. Yes, military service is a plus to the FBI, but not for the reasons you seem to think. The FBI likes the self-discipline and team work aspects military service tends to leave on people more than how many guns they know how to shoot. Like the Marine Corps, the FBI will teach you how to shoot guns the way they want them shot (and at a Marine Corps base too).

The FBI also tends to like people with prior investigatory experience, such as civilian police officers. Two guys from my police academy class went on to be FBI agents.

As for getting on the FBI HRT. You need solid field experience as a regular case agent. You need experience on a local FBI Field Office SWAT-type unit. Your career must be spotless and your performance as a local SWAT unit member must be exemplary.

You've got a lot of work ahead of yourself.

thewookie
09-17-07, 09:03 AM
I thought I just saw an add recently that said the HRT was hiring? But no paper pushers! It said apply at any local FBI office? Must have been something else,,,

HeavyMetalHero
09-17-07, 09:56 AM
First, if you have been doing your research, the FBI requires a bachelor's degree as a minimum. They prefer a law degree, accounting, or computer science. Graduate degrees in those academic disciplines are also preferred.

I said in my original post that I am either going to finish college before hand or take a break and finish after. My area of study is not what is in question here.

They are not terribly interested in the MOS you had in the military

I am sorry but you are wrong.

http://www.fbijobs.gov/116.asp

It clearly says "Combat Arms" or "Military Police."

As for getting on the FBI HRT. You need solid field experience as a regular case agent. You need experience on a local FBI Field Office SWAT-type unit. Your career must be spotless and your performance as a local SWAT unit member must be exemplary.

Again, that is not what I asked. I know all this. All the requirements are laid out in the link I posted above. I understand you are trying to help, but I was asking about the 4 required MOS positions.

I thought I just saw an add recently that said the HRT was hiring? But no paper pushers! It said apply at any local FBI office? Must have been something else,,,

Yes they are, they also loosened their standard physically. I don't know if that is a good thing (make myself look better) or a bad thing (increase the applicants 2x).

Phantom Blooper
09-17-07, 09:58 AM
Acronym Lesson...

F- Free

B- Beer

I- Inside

:beer:

:evilgrin:

Camper51
09-17-07, 10:20 AM
I said in my original post that I am either going to finish college before hand or take a break and finish after. My area of study is not what is in question here.

Again, that is not what I asked. I know all this. All the requirements are laid out in the link I posted above. I understand you are trying to help, but I was asking about the 4 required MOS positions.

Yes they are, they also loosened their standard physically. I don't know if that is a good thing (make myself look better) or a bad thing (increase the applicants 2x).

My, my, my aren't we the testy one today. You should listen to those who responded to you who are in LAW ENFORCEMENT. I would tend to think that they might just know a few things that you don't (even though you provided a website it isn't gospel, they never are)....

thewookie
09-17-07, 10:38 AM
hey man, don't be so offended. Your question about the HRT (I know this is a long term plan and/or goal, so good for you) but the question itself reminds me of the daily questions posted on here about guys who want to go into recon. You have a long way to go, a long way, so much of information you get here will be outdated by the time you get there. I'd guess the average age on the HRT is around 30, maybe a little older. So, I got a little funny with you, settle down.

And I can tell you this, they haven't loosened any standards for the HRT. They don't loosen those, they only make it more difficult. They don't need to increase the applicants, they don't ask for them, they find you. This isn't some large unit, the actual operators on the HRT are very small (numbers) and all hand selected. I don't care what you read on any website.

Here's a friendly tip, when you ask for anyone's opinion don't be offended when you get one.

rvillac2
09-17-07, 12:08 PM
First thing you're going to need to learn to obtain is maturity and tact. Telling someone who has more years of experience than you have on this earth that he is wrong is asking to be flamed on this site. You could have simply said that his statement doesn't apply to your specific question.

To answer your question:

The program you are looking forward to is similar to our recon selection at SOI. In our case, those who have already qualified as Marines get to try out for a recon billet by going through a selection process. In your case, those who already qualified as FBI SA's get to attend the HRT selection process. In both cases, only the tryout is guaranteed. The difference is, not all Marines get to try out for recon, but all FBI SA's are eligible (with time in service) to try out for HRT.

More directly, becoming a Marine officer will not be the best route for you. You will not obtain any investigative or tactical experience equivalent to other opportunities.

The best route as a Marine is to get into FAST. TheWookie can give you the best perspective for that since he is the Tactical Jedi. ; ) Only in FAST can you get the tactical training that is most similar to what HRT is looking for. Another plus is that you'll be getting this training almost immediately. If you join as an MP, you won't be doing anything tactical or investigative until you've been in for several years.

The Marine Corps is not the best stepping stone for an ultimate career in the FBI. Many FBI agents are Marines and have directly benefited from their military experience, but most will tell you that it was their other skills/experience that got them into the FBI. By and large, FBI SA's are investigators and not door kickers.

The best route for you is to kick ass through college and get that degree asap. Then, become a police officer in a local department. Strive to become a detective so you can get your experience as an investigator. For most departments, SWAT is a secondary role, so you can try to join SWAT at the same time working as a detective. Focus on becoming the best special agent applicant first and then concentrate on HRT once you're in.

Lastly, you should realize that the FBI's TRP is targetting people who already have the experience they are looking for. It is not a road map for people who are just starting their careers. They're looking for people who have already "been there, done that" and now would like to apply their experience to the FBI. In most cases, these people never considered FBI and put their mind first on their primary careers (military officer, cop/dick, swat, etc.). If the FBI is your primary choice, then go straight after it and don't detour.

Good luck.

thewookie
09-17-07, 01:12 PM
I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD TAKE A BOW, OR BREAK OUT MY JEDI KNIGHT STICK AND GET TO WHOOPIN.

Thanks Marine, I was lucky to get opportunities.:beer:

That's good info, the bottom line is you have many years to learn exactly what "they" want, and then they will change so be mentally and physically prepared for anything.

Zulu 36
09-17-07, 01:27 PM

Well, rvillac2 warned you. I am not wrong.

Rule #1: The Sergeant is NEVER wrong. Rule #2: When it appears the Sergeant is wrong, see Rule #1.

That MOS list is not exclusive. Yes, the FBI likes Marines a lot. They really don't care what your MOS was. For HRT, yes, combat arms might be a small leg up, but it isn't the be-all-end-all of the selection process.

Sure, that web site says "two years agent experience", but again, that is only the bare minimum they will accept. Don't hold your breath at the two-year point unless you were a SEAL, a DELTA guy, or had been on a big city SWAT team full time.

I speak to you from 21-years of military service (6-active duty Marine), 19 of those years were in military police or security police w/a tactical mission. Plus two wars.

I also speak from 20-years of civilian police experience, five of which was federal. I was on a part-time SWAT team and later commanded it as a sergeant and lieutenant. I was a detective, narco unit commander as a corporal, and later the detective bureau commander as a lieutenant. I grew up in Detroit and worked as a cop right next door to the busiest precinct in that city. Spillover to the max. I know the realities of police work and the realities of SWAT team selection.

I knew a lot of FBI agents and worked with them a lot too, including on organized crime (Mafia) cases. I knew some of the Detroit office SWAT guys as well. I met several FBI-HRT members at police firearms instructor conferences. I know what the FBI likes in a new agent and a HRT person, no matter what the website says.

Also, just because I'm really tired, arthritic, and cranky, I might point out that at my 20th birthday, I was a Vietnam vet and Corporal of Marines. I was a Sergeant of Marines before my 21st. I'm not up for being told I'm wrong about something like this today.

thewookie
09-17-07, 01:49 PM
Well, rvillac2 warned you. I am not wrong.

Rule #1: The Sergeant is NEVER wrong. Rule #2: When it appears the Sergeant is wrong, see Rule #1.

That MOS list is not exclusive. Yes, the FBI likes Marines a lot. They really don't care what your MOS was. For HRT, yes, combat arms might be a small leg up, but it isn't the be-all-end-all of the selection process.

Sure, that web site says "two years agent experience", but again, that is only the bare minimum they will accept. Don't hold your breath at the two-year point unless you were a SEAL, a DELTA guy, or had been on a big city SWAT team full time.

I speak to you from 21-years of military service (6-active duty Marine), 19 of those years were in military police or security police w/a tactical mission. Plus two wars.

I also speak from 20-years of civilian police experience, five of which was federal. I was on a part-time SWAT team and later commanded it as a sergeant and lieutenant. I was a detective, narco unit commander as a corporal, and later the detective bureau commander as a lieutenant. I grew up in Detroit and worked as a cop right next door to the busiest precinct in that city. Spillover to the max. I know the realities of police work and the realities of SWAT team selection.

I knew a lot of FBI agents and worked with them a lot too, including on organized crime (Mafia) cases. I knew some of the Detroit office SWAT guys as well. I met several FBI-HRT members at police firearms instructor conferences. I know what the FBI likes in a new agent and a HRT person, no matter what the website says.

Also, just because I'm really tired, arthritic, and cranky, I might point out that at my 20th birthday, I was a Vietnam vet and Corporal of Marines. I was a Sergeant of Marines before my 21st. I'm not up for being told I'm wrong about something like this today.

Man, I'll bow to that. Thanks for your service!

Sorry, I was just dusting off your Jedi Knight stick, Mr. Zulu

Do you want to me to polish your shoes now ;)

Zulu 36
09-17-07, 02:01 PM
Man, I'll bow to that. Thanks for your service!

Sorry, I was just dusting off your Jedi Knight stick, Mr. Zulu

Do you want to me to polish your shoes now ;)

Nah, I'll have HeavyMetal do it. Yours too. :marine:

Marine84
09-17-07, 09:52 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You guys are better than the freakin funny papers!