PDA

View Full Version : Why did you join and how did you do it?

Whitey
09-14-07, 06:51 PM
I've noticed there's a lot of similarities as to why people joined and how they went about doing it. Here's mine.

I was sick of college, working 50+ hours a week at a Lowe's store with IQ test failures for customers and co-workers. There was no motivation for me to get up and go to work every day and have barely any days off, so one day watching TV I saw an Army commercial and about had a "slap in the forehead" moment.

Without telling anyone my plan aside from the fact I had to drop off some film to get developed(YES, I STILL USE 35MM! DON'T MESS WITH ME). I scooted over to wal-mart and dropped off for one hour photo then went down the road to the recruiting station. Where I live its a hall way with 5 doors, one for each branch, I must've sat in the hallway for a half hour contemplating where I would go first. I went down to the navy door and grabbed a brochure, as I was reading it my Marine recruiter came out and was like "uh, can I help you?" With a smile and a "why not?" I walked into the office and with as much cockiness as I've ever experienced I said "I want out of this town." He practically fell out of his chair when he heard that and said "are you NCIS? Noone just walks in and wants out." After about 45 minutes of questions and "interviewing" he gave me a date for MEP's and I was off to get my film.

I got home to fill my parents in and told them how I had MEP's on Monday(it was like a Tuesday) and my Dad being the concerned retired infantry guy he is had to force me to pump the brakes. My ship date was originally July 17th I wanna say but we had it pushed to August for various reasons. Then I broke my foot and ship in 9 days lol.

alright, whos next?

sparkie
09-14-07, 07:01 PM
John Wayne made me do it,,;]

Whitey
09-14-07, 07:18 PM
why am i believing this? lol

sparkie
09-14-07, 07:36 PM
Because it is true. He is still my hero. You got any real heros? I was young, and he was one heII of an American. Even in his private life. I loved this country even at a very young age. I wanted to go to Nam,,, I wanted to keep my Mommy and my family safe from those commies. Remember, I was in the era of ducking under your desk in case of an atomic attack. You didn't grow up with a bomb over your head. John Wayne had the answers, Be a Man. Be an American. So I did what I felt I had to do.

Whitey
09-14-07, 08:10 PM
I don't really regaurd anyone as a hero. I live a jaded life

sparkie
09-14-07, 08:29 PM
Very few heros left.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-07, 09:23 PM
I knew I was going to be a Marine when I went to see Full Metal Jacket with my dad. I was 12 years old, and couldn't wait to be a Marine. As I grew older I decided I'd go to college and then enter as an officer. But, a friend from high school came home talking about fast roping, taking down GOPLATs, ship take downs (he was trail platoon for his first deployment cycle) and it sounded like the best thing ever. School was boring me to death- so I enlisted. The semester ended and I went to boot camp.

How did I do it? I shocked a recruiter. I walked into the office and said "I want to be a Marine. Can I sign up now and leave in January or February? After he picked his jaw up off the floor we started doing paperwork.

HurricaneRJ
09-14-07, 09:30 PM
I could go on forever but I'll list a few reasons.

1. 9/11
2. Operation Phantom Fury
3. Honor, Courage, Committment.
4. Selfless service and sacrafice.
5. To be rough and tough.

The list goes on.

How I joined is simple.

PT, PT, PT, PT, PT, PT, PT, PT, PT, PT. Did I mention P ****ing T?

Whitey
09-14-07, 10:16 PM
How did I do it? I shocked a recruiter. I walked into the office and said "I want to be a Marine. Can I sign up now and leave in January or February? After he picked his jaw up off the floor we started doing paperwork.

why do recruiters do this?

KRenee87
09-14-07, 10:21 PM
^^That list seems like a good idea RJ.

1. College is boring me. Not because it is a boring place but I don't think it is for me right now.
2. I like earning my money. lol
3. Sounds cliche, but when I saw my Mom's old Boot Camp graduation photo I wanted to be as proud as she looked.

As for joining, I just walked in the Recruiter's office.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-07, 10:52 PM
why do recruiters do this?

Because they usually have to work so hard to get someone to sign up. The people we get through here aren't the typical high school students. Most of them aren't too interested in the Marine Corps- recruiters have to change the mind of several of them.

crazymjb
09-14-07, 11:40 PM
Why I want to join: The brotherhood, the core values, the gung-ho ness, the culture, to serve my country, etc

How. I always had the intention of calling/going in at some point and I got a call from a recruiter a few months earlier who gave me his number. So, after a snowstorm and hitting a tree I came home really ****ed off and thought to myself "I'm gonna do it, let's get this ball rolling" and set up an appointment for as soon as possible. Having been going to weekly PT since February. I just recently got everything signed and am waiting for some medical records in the mail to have sent up to MEPS.

Mike

Chrisbrv
09-14-07, 11:58 PM
I'm sick of being a civilian its not for me I can't stand people during my work they are so clueless and slow, no leadership, and not driven. I also joined because I want the experience, I want to be 70 years old and be able to tell stories of when I was a Marine and when everything was harder, tougher, and better during "my days" to my grandchildren just like old folks say to us.

As for joining I basically called the recruiter and told him so when can i take the asvab and dep in? I was a in a hurry to get depped in, dont know why but I just wanted to dep in as soon as possible. I depped in with a month still left of my Junior year, first in my graduating class.

davblay
09-15-07, 01:20 AM
I want to be 70 years old and be able to tell stories of when I was a Marine and when everything was harder, tougher, and better during "my days" to my grandchildren just like old folks say to us.
I didn't feel old until now! Thanks for putting me in perspective. I didn't realize that I was boring you young lads with my old stories.

I Volunteered in the time of The Viet Nam War. The draft was getting all they really needed, but I wanted the best. I brought another guy the next week, and another the next week and wee all shipped together on the buddy system. We all signed up for the 4 year enlistment option. The recruiter told me it was like getting 6 draftees as we would serve twice as long as they would!

We DEP'd in, in March and shipped May 11, 1969 (Mothers Day).