PDA

View Full Version : Question for Marine veterans

Iron Mike
09-09-07, 08:44 AM
Greetings all,

I'm a potential Marine interested in OCS (I'll be graduating from Clemson in December) but I'm still sitting "on the fence" about whether to take the plunge and make the commitment or not.

Aside from all the soul-searching (and PT'ing) that I've been doing to try and get ready to decide, I've also wondered how much a tour of duty would "set you back" in terms of being marketable in the real world.

My father has advised that everything I do should always be positioning me for my next career move (which will ultimately be in business and entrepreneurship) and he thinks that, while service in any branch might be an asset, taking 4 years off for some adventure will cause me to "lose the edge" that I have coming straight out of college (young, single, dedicated, money-motivated, etc etc)

Long story short: have any veteran Marines on this board (or current Marines who know veterans) found that doing a tour or two has made you less competitive than your peers?

Much obliged!

thewookie
09-09-07, 08:59 AM
Greetings all,

I'm a potential Marine interested in OCS (I'll be graduating from Clemson in December) but I'm still sitting "on the fence" about whether to take the plunge and make the commitment or not.

Aside from all the soul-searching (and PT'ing) that I've been doing to try and get ready to decide, I've also wondered how much a tour of duty would "set you back" in terms of being marketable in the real world.

My father has advised that everything I do should always be positioning me for my next career move (which will ultimately be in business and entrepreneurship) and he thinks that, while service in any branch might be an asset, taking 4 years off for some adventure will cause me to "lose the edge" that I have coming straight out of college (young, single, dedicated, money-motivated, etc etc)

Long story short: have any veteran Marines on this board (or current Marines who know veterans) found that doing a tour or two has made you less competitive than your peers?

Much obliged!

I don't think it's going to set you back or make you less marketable. I think it will only help, and be much more beneficial then you might think. The growth you'll get from your time in the Corps will catapult you for the rest of your career. I don't know any Marine who will tell you differently, and that's not brain wash or something. Take a degree from Clemson, and 8 years or whatever they make officers do, say you make Major. Degree from Clemson, and a Marine Major. Whew, whatever your career after that is, the rest of the pack (your peers) will be chasing you. No way would it hurt you, unless you are going to become a doctor or lawyer, or very select fields where you need that early development and experience to make it later in your particular field. But I guess even in those fields that you can catch up, and having the Corps in your pocket will eventually set you apart, and make you more marketable. Of course this is my humble, unbiased opinion. :]

Covey_Rider
09-09-07, 09:00 AM
I'm not a vet by any means but I'm going to go ahead and take a stab at this anyways. <br />
<br />
Why do you want to become a Marine? If it's money-motivation then you've got the wrong idea haha. Aside...

thewookie
09-09-07, 09:09 AM

Now that I've re-read it, I would definitely say your future career will be enhanced, and it will make you more marketable. You will forgo the money aspect, Marines officers are paid well but probably not the same as you might (key word) might earn outside in business. However, while you might earn a better living, you won't get the leadership, perseverance, dedication, teamwork, and the work ethic skills that you'll master in the Corps. And that's said with no offense to what you've already learned.

Marine84
09-09-07, 09:18 AM
Welcome aboard and I'm sure by the time you get through reading what some of us have to say, you'll have a pretty good fight for Dad.

I've had 3 jobs since I got out of the Corps 19 years ago. All 3 times, as soon as they saw U S Marine Corps on it, that was enough to get me in the door for an interview. They know they won't have to give you too much attention if they hire you. It helps! And, like wookie said, being a young man with a college degree AND an Officer in the U S Marine Corps - WHEW! I would call that a bargain! Whatever you do after THAT is a piece of cake!

OH! By the way, I'm from SC and I think Clemson IS the University of SC! GO Tigers!

yellowwing
09-09-07, 10:04 AM
Who ever is hiring will look at you, the individual. They got slots to fill and decisions to make. With a USMC Officer stamp on your resume they will know you are aggressive and competitive. Virtues of the business world.

Actually doing it is up to you. Do you have that deep gut feeling to Lead Marines?

Iron Mike
09-09-07, 02:54 PM
Why do you want to become a Marine?

This is a question I've been trying to formulate a coherent answer to for a few months now. Here's my deliberations to this point:

I've been pretty bored with everything college has thrown at me and am not ready to step out into the real world to do who knows what for who knows how long without experiencing something that truly pushes me to my limits. I've always loved the military and considered myself something of a BAMF, so if I'm going to do it at all, the Marines are pretty much my only honorable choice. Not to knock the fellow services (too much at least), but the Corps does it all and they do it the best. Everyone who is there is there by choice and not there because the recruiter offered them "job of their choice and $40,000" and they all know what the Corps is about and want to be a part of nothing less. As I'm only interested in Officer programs, I couldn't imagine leading any other caliber of men.

To know such fraternity is something I've not experienced and don't want to age in regret having wasted my chance to have it.

RE: everyone else's comments - Thank you. You seconded what I had heard and thought beforehand. Never helps to get some more 1st hand motivation though.

It's just tough being almost done with 3.5 years of school and thinking about signing away another 4. The rest of the comments on this board though, have sure strengthed my resolve. Now I just need to PT myself like it's my job.

Haffner
09-09-07, 04:04 PM
Holy freakin' crap. You want to go for business typed stuff, and to be a Marine Corps Officer.

Look at the fortune 500 companies out there. A freakin' BILLION (yes a BILLION out of the 500) are ran by former Marines. Seriously, just look it up.

Being a Marine at all shows leadership and responsability -- and Officer, even more so (on a resume, at least lol).

yellowwing
09-09-07, 07:02 PM
If you "kinda would like to be a Marine", than this is not for you.

SlingerDun
09-09-07, 07:09 PM
My father has advised that everything I do should always be positioning me for my next career move (which will ultimately be in business and entrepreneurship) and he thinks that, while service in any branch might be an asset, taking 4 years off for some adventure will cause me to "lose the edge" that I have coming straight out of college (young, single, dedicated, money-motivated, etc etc) Your pops sounds similar to mine, he has a time line for everything. My old man had a stroke to prove it. He also attended OCS Quantico and when they hashed through his paperwork found that he somehow fanagled a 2 year contract, so they told him he had to extend 4 years to be commisioned a Marine officer. He said no.

Apparently he did not allow for this extension in his plans and had no prior intention of serving anymore than the minimum. I haven't asked if he regrets not being commissioned (he finished his 2 year tour as enlisted) but he was succesfull in business and retired early.

He also advised me to sign for the minimum regardless of bonus perks, being that it is extremely difficult to reduce service time and much easier to add.

You probably wont lose your "edge" if you ever have one, until you burn out or lose interest in any chosen occupation or hobby and that can happen at any age.

--->Dave

thewookie
09-09-07, 07:17 PM
Mr. Blanton I can't wait to get your book, I've been eagerly waiting ever since I heard about it months ago. And to touch on one thing that you said to which I failed to mention earlier, the decision making skills you learn as a Marine. They are not taught in books or any classroom. I was once told by a salty old Sergeant, Sgt. Keysper, that "it's better to make A decision, then No decision." That served me well in 8 years active and I use that philosophy daily, and truth be told sometimes I might be wrong or off, but more often I'm glad that I made a decision. I was making decisions as a Lance Corporal that many others in my age range wouldn't even fathom.

Semper Fi Marines, and God bless the Marines.

Iron Mike
09-09-07, 07:19 PM
If you "kinda would like to be a Marine", than this is not for you.

No, this is not a "kinda" deal for me. I'm all about it, I'm just in the process of listing the "pros and cons" and making a reasoned decision instead of an emotional one that I might regret.

Zulu 36
09-09-07, 07:22 PM
The Marine Corps has been nothing but a help for me ever since I stepped on the yellow footprints. I regret not one moment of my service.

I was a leader of men in combat at 19 years old. There are not many business executives that can track their leadership of a critical operation back to that age. Lives, not money, were at stake. But in the Marine Corps I was not an aberration, but instead, the norm.

Once you learn to successfully lead men in combat, making life and death decisions in a dynamic situation unmatched in business, you will find business leadership rather calm in comparison.

Four years in the Corps as an officer is a first-class resume enhancement. A "masters degree" in leadership that cannot be learned at any other school.

yellowwing
09-09-07, 07:28 PM
Fred Smith CEO of Fed Ex. Fred is a Marine Captain.

yellowwing
09-09-07, 07:51 PM
You got Brother Fred already listed. So it still comes down to you.

ammermda
09-09-07, 09:24 PM
These Marines are giving you some great gouge! Let me just add my $.02...

The decision to become a leader of Marines is not an easy one to make. You are wise in taking your time and weighing the pros and cons. But you need to realize that as a Marine officer your number one priority must be the wellfare of your Marines. If you earn a commission in our Corps, your business aspirations will need to take a backseat to the needs of your Marines.

Yes, there are a lot of benefits to having served; and yes, it is perfectly fine to serve for a short duration. However, as a Marine officer you are responsible for leading Marines. You are responsible for their wellfare. That MUST be your primary concern. Period.

bucksgted
09-09-07, 10:21 PM
Well this ole Jarhead has got to throw in his $.02 worth.

The Marine Corps "allowed" me to develop and further enhance my leadership skills. I attained the rank of Sergeant in 2 years. I can assure you, the skills I acquired and honed in the Corps gave me a major advantage when I went to the business community.

After the Corps, I was invited to join a major blue chip organization and enjoyed a great career for 28 years and 10 months; 22+ years were in management. My pea brain gives the Corps credit for that opportunity.

Rest assured, there is a pretty high price to be paid, but if you want it bad enough, it's worth it. I moved all over the country in order to "build" my resume for the future, but to me it was worth the price.

If you look at the Corps as delaying your entry to the business world by 6 years, do us all a favor and forget it. I wouldn't want you leading me with that attitude or lack of committment. Marines at all levels will see right through you and when you look back you won't see any one following you.

Having said all of this, I can honestly say to you that should you make it in the Corps and then go to the business world, your education and Corps experience will open more doors than you can walk through. However, what you do with that open door becomes another challenge. The "proof of the puddin' is in the eatin'.

Wishing you the best with whatever you decide.

Ed

Iron Mike
09-10-07, 08:14 AM
These Marines are giving you some great gouge!
Ain't that the truth. Thanks all.

The decision to become a leader of Marines is not an easy one to make. You are wise in taking your time and weighing the pros and cons. But you need to realize that as a Marine officer your number one priority must be the wellfare of your Marines. If you earn a commission in our Corps, your business aspirations will need to take a backseat to the needs of your Marines.... However, as a Marine officer you are responsible for leading Marines. You are responsible for their wellfare. That MUST be your primary concern. Period.
Fear not, this attitude is what draws me to the Corps.

If you look at the Corps as delaying your entry to the business world by 6 years, do us all a favor and forget it. I wouldn't want you leading me with that attitude or lack of committment. Marines at all levels will see right through you and when you look back you won't see any one following you.
I look at the Corps as an alternative to immediately entering the civilian workforce. I hesitate to use the word "adventure" but that is, to no small degree, exactly what I'm looking for. I want an experience that will expand my leadership skills and improve me as an individual while doing the same for any Marines I may lead.

In short, I wanted to hear from those who had BTDT if service in the Corps would be a valuable addition to my business career rather than an independent activity I did for 4 years that will dull and date some of my education and experience as my dad had somewhat suggested.