PDA

View Full Version : Gen. Petraeus travels to Fort Benning for son's final jump

thedrifter
09-09-07, 08:02 AM
Gen. Petraeus travels to Fort Benning for son's final jump

By: Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ga. ---- Before the Army's top commander in Iraq was due to deliver a much-anticipated war assessment to Congress Monday, he stopped over in Georgia to witness his son complete training as an Airborne trooper.

Gen. David Petraeus visited the Fryar Drop Zone at Fort Benning Friday to watch his son, Stephen, make his fifth and final jump as he graduates from Airborne School.

"I'd like to introduce our latest Airborne trooper," Petraeus said as his son, a 20-year-old member of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Army ROTC program, beamed.

The general also attended a memorial celebration for the dozens of World War II veterans who were members of the Army's first black parachute infantry battalion, the 555th, also known as the Triple Nickel.

"You are true American pioneers. You challenged the conscience of a nation and its Army," he told the veterans.

Stephen Petraeus said he's looking forward to his father's much-anticipated appearance before Congress on Monday.

"My dad is a jumpmaster and a master parachutist," he said. "I hardly think he's nervous about giving a speech."

Ellie