PDA

View Full Version : Boot leave question.

LaResistance
09-07-07, 04:58 PM
My recruiter called me today, and told me that I have the option of moving my ship date up to next week. That would put my graduation date at around mid december. She said that MCT would be closed for the holidays or something like that, so I could be with my family during chrismas. It might just me me, but it sounds too good to be true. Can my 10 days after boot really be extended for christmas?

Messenger
09-07-07, 06:58 PM
I went to basic in late October 86 and didn’t graduate until January 87 so Christmas fell in the middle of it all. This was about twenty years ago but I remember a few things;

First, I remember that they allowed us all to take a draw on our pay so we could go to the base PX and buy some gifts and mail them out.

Secondly, I remember that we were given the option to take leave for a week or so maybe two weeks but like I said it was a long time ago and I cant quite recall exactly. I do remember some took the opportunity so they were issued a set of Alphas and an ID card before getting there leave.

Thirdly, I recall I didn’t take leave myself but we didn’t really train much if at all during that time.

On a side note; on Christmas evening we actually got longer then the typical eleven seconds to eat LOL! It was a nice meal and we had plenty of time to enjoy it and were even allowed some quiet conversation during that meal. I do remember having a nice thick slice of turkey with a big scoop of stuffing and smothered with gravy.

Latter that night the DI had groups of us take turns singing Christmas carols and had the Latinos sing the Spanish version. The little Buddhist from Laos didn’t have any Christmas songs in his native language but everyone had a chance to make a fool out of them selves.

P.S.
Since I got out I always take the time every Thanksgiving and Christmas to toast all service men and women currently serving with a shot of wild turkey which seems appropriate for the occasion.

Simper Fi

sparkie
09-07-07, 07:23 PM
Had christmas cancelled once,,,, Unrep In the middle of the Indian Ocean. We were down to powdered everything, plus salt showers. Christmas, Dec "26", 1971. Supply ship was the Kansas City.

rvillac2
09-07-07, 10:58 PM
Does sound good, Andrew. It might be possible though, since there are allowances for recruiter's assistance, etc.

Worst case, you'll have to report to MCT and will be in a holding pattern on the base. You'd get liberty for the holidays but still be away from home.

Always be ready for the word to change, though. If it were me, I'd always go for the early ship date and get started on my career.

Covey_Rider
09-08-07, 04:27 AM
Well it's very possible. I graduated on Dec 8th and got 10 days of leave and 20 days of recruiters assistance. So yeah, got 30 days to be home with family before I had to leave for more training.

BigWayne3000
09-08-07, 06:58 PM
Well I went to Boot June 06 wound up graduating in Nov (was dropped for being sick with pnemonia for the 2nd time but thats another topic haha) and I graduated I believe the 18th? I cant remember exactly but I remember it was right before Thanksgiving. And my leave was 10 days but wound up being a few days longer as MCT was closed for Xmas. So I was able to spend thanksgiving and Xmas with the family before I had to go to MCT. MCT is closed for the holidays. The Marines who are in holding platoon (the platoon your in when you 1st get there waiting to go to training) have the option of either staying and doing long hrs of firewatch or going home and using up some leave. Hope this answer helps.

Haffner
09-08-07, 07:40 PM
MCT and MOS school infact are closed per say with a 96 for Xmas and a 96 for new years, with like 2-3 days inbetween lol.