PDA

View Full Version : Student exemplifies war-time bravery

thedrifter
09-05-07, 02:54 PM
Student exemplifies war-time bravery
By Kristen Williams
News Reporter
Texas State University Star

Graduate student Randall D. Watkins had more than just a brush with death while serving in Iraq.

Watkins was with his platoon one day when he was suddenly hit with shrapnel all over his body after an attack from a suicide bomber. Several of his fellow Marines were killed. Watkins survived the bombing, but was then shot four times in the chest by an insurgent, and he still survived.

To honor Marine Corps Sgt. Watkins, a Sept. 11 memorial luncheon will be held Thursday at the Price Seniors Center.

Watkins, a criminal justice graduate student, said being a witness to the Sept. 11 Pentagon attack gave him a reason to fight for America overseas. After his tour of duty, he came back to Texas to start his education, but soon felt called to fight again in Iraq, so he dropped out of school.

Watkins said American patriotism is at an all-time low, and he hopes to open the eyes of those who have forgotten about the war.

“I’ve been going to school for eight years and one of the biggest things that people forget is that there is still a war in Iraq and Afghanistan,” Watkins said. “They decide to turn a blind eye to it. Unless they personally know someone, they don’t really care.”

Regardless of whether people support the war or not, Watkins said people serving the country deserve a lot of respect.

“It is our job, not as students, but as Americans to show support for the sacrifices people are making,” Watkins said. “It shouldn’t take another terrorist attack to open people’s eyes again. A lot of my buddies died in my arms. These are guys who want to serve and believe they are fighting for a noble cause.”

Lisa Adams, public relations coordinator for the Central Texas Medical Center Hospice Care, said she wants the event to show students people their age are fighting for the freedom they have everyday.

“I would like to encourage students to come so they can hear Sgt. Watkins’ personal story,” Adams said. “He is a true hero. While one student is 18 and walking to class, another 18 year old is holding a gun.”

Just like Watkins, Adams said she hopes to show how important it is to stand behind the U.S. military.

“This is our way of showing that we care not only about our hospice patients but about our community,” Adams said. “We are in a crisis of war; so, it is important to show we support our troops so that another 9-11 doesn’t happen.”

At the event, music department students will perform the National Anthem.

The Price Seniors Center is located at 222 W. San Antonio St., near Dunbar Park. The event is set to begin at 11:30 a.m.

Ellie