PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice

frank83
09-04-07, 06:45 AM
To all concerned,

I have been roaming around this forum and found it very helpful to individuals with any forms of questions. Hereof follows mine:

I am a Dutch national, 24 years old, married to an American. It has been my lifelong ambition to become a marine. I will be able to enlist only as of next year after having reached 25. Why am I still considering enlisting? Comeraderie, the challenge and the sense of belonging to something with a history of honour. I can assure you that an office job does not give me that satisfaction. My question: where can I get first hand information from Marines who have enlisted on basis of their green card? Understanding that I will need to hold an American passport before ever dreaming of a commission and optimistically seeing that I will achieve this only after the age of 28, is there still a chance of ever becoming an officer?

Commission is a dream above my dream, so I don't want to get ahead of myself. Can any marines or individuals express their experiences with green card enlistments?

Greatful for your consideration and response.

Regards

Covey_Rider
09-04-07, 07:39 AM
Before you get any responses on this thread you are first going to have to fill out your profile. Also remember to capitalize "Marine." It's just a showing of respect for Marines.

I personally have not had any experience with Marines that enlisted with green cards...but I'm sure you will find your answers here.

frank83
09-04-07, 08:06 AM
will sort it out now. Cheers.

rvillac2
09-04-07, 10:10 AM
I don't think you're going to get many, if any, responses from the Marines you are looking for. There are not that many of them. What questions do you have exactly and maybe we can still help?

frank83
09-04-07, 10:37 AM
I was looking to see what formalities they went through.

On a side note, what are your viewpoints on green card Marines? Are they perceived differently? Are career paths equal to Marines of American nationality?

Appreciate the assistance.

yanacek
09-04-07, 11:31 AM
Frank83: I spent a great deal of time on recruiting duty and saw many enlistments with "Green Cards." I also had a few buddies who were not US citizens. You are eligible to enlist with a "green card" although there are some MOS's that you will not be eligible for because they require "US citizenship." Once you have enlisted, no one will know you are a resident alien unless they look through your service record, or if you tell them, or if perhaps you speak with an accent. Resident aliens receive the same treatment as everyone else. Personally, I have a great deal of respect for them as they have chosen to become a United States Marine even though they are not citizens of the United States.

Haffner
09-04-07, 02:05 PM
(As can be said about any tyep of group, creed, etc etc) alot of green card enlisting Marines are some of the best I have known! Just don't think you have anything more to prove than anyone else. It's an equal playing field as a recruit, then later on as a Marine. You'll be treated equal and just one of the boys.

However, in recruit training, you might rate a few different nicknames. We had a few recruits from Mexico, and they were the Recruit Terrorists.

frank83
09-04-07, 02:11 PM
Yanacek, thanks for the insight. I'm still in the enquiring phase of fulfilling my ambition. The answers I have received to my questions and queries are a welcoming introduction to the forum. Looking forward to further communication with this community.

frank83
09-04-07, 02:16 PM
Haffner: I very well understand I will have to prove a lot... Respect after all, is earned and I go by no assumptions of myself, except that I will do my utmost best.

I'm curious what kind of nicknames a cloggy (Dutch) would have.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-04-07, 02:32 PM
If could be anything in the world. It is only limited by the imagination of your Drill Instructors.

One final note, the age limits you see are just guidelines. There is almost always a waiver possible for a qualified candidate.

Haffner
09-04-07, 02:41 PM
That's the thing though. I was just lettin' you know you have no more to prove than any other recruit does. Then after that, everybody's a Marine, completely equal.

Haha oh man I just remembered, we had a Dutch recruit in our platoon (by nationality, not green card) and he used to always be told he had to find a levy to stick his finger in to prevent the flood. That's the kinda good fun that makes recruits laugh inside and makes bootcamp a bit easier, per say.

JordanB
09-09-07, 07:06 AM
Yeah man dont worry about it, its like our SDI always told us once you join theres no such thing as black, white, hispanic, theres only light green, dark green, yellow green. As long as you really belive in the corps and you can make it through the training you will earn not only the right to call yourself a Marine but you will become more American than most people who were actually born here.

frank83
09-10-07, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the help! Called a recruiter where my brother in law lives and it seems I will have to wait a little while. I still have to apply for an immigrant visa and wait for approximately 1 year prior to getting a green card, but we're looking into whether there is a possibility to enlist with this immigrant visa.

one more question... perhaps misplaced in this thread. I have flat feet: do you get issued correction soles or will I be short of the physical standard?

JordanB
09-11-07, 09:39 AM
They just put a tic or whatever on your medical record, if thats all thats out of the ordanary physically with you then no worries. Just a lil advice when they do get around to your medical history though, there gonna ask you generic questions like have you ever had headaches or been short of breth from running, for little stuff like that just say no because its basically their job at the med board to find a reason physically not to let you into the Corps.

frank83
09-11-07, 03:20 PM
Good tip and duely noted. The only 'issue' I have is regarding the flat feet. Apart from that, I guess the closest resemblance to headaches or anything of the sort is the headache of the wait for the green card.

frank83
09-11-07, 03:27 PM
A new thought: seeing that green card enlistment is a relatively new development in the American Military, do you reckon this form of enlistment is there to stay?

It would be an upset (to say the least) to find out that it was a temporary incentive.

rvillac2
09-11-07, 04:11 PM
This is not a new development. It's been policy for decades. Anyone who is eligible to work in the U.S. is eligible to enlist. However, citizenship is required for upper level security clearances and will keep you out of certain jobs within the military.

frank83
09-11-07, 04:28 PM
That is a relief to hear. It was my wrongful understanding that its been a recent development.

As citizenship is required for those specific jobs, I take it Marine Force Recon would fall under that category. Seeing that I would be eligable for citizenship approximately 4 years after having received my green card and that 4 years experience is a good base for Marine Force Recon, would I then be eligable?

Apologies for the specific questions but I like to get perspective into my career choice.

rvillac2
09-11-07, 07:24 PM
There is no more Force Recon.

frank83
09-12-07, 03:46 AM
Force Recon then being outside perspective, with the attainment of citizenship, will there still be differentiation considering I would be a former foreigner?