PDA

View Full Version : Cpl. John C. Tanner

HurricaneRJ
09-03-07, 10:29 AM
I attended school with John at Hallie Turner. He always talked about joining the Marines back then. I remember he tried to get me to join back then, but I wasn't hearing none of that back then. We had fun time back in English and Socail Studies. He was a pretty fun guy to be around. Funny, outgoing and always got the girls. I lost contact with him after I returned to my original High School.

I met up with him again at my first poolee function with SSgt. Alford and Sgt. Pooler, and then Sgt. Odle. He was pretty much in shape and ready to kick ***. He was surpsied to see me attened. I was a fat slob back then, and when the 1.5 mile was conducted. He finished ahead of me and he came back for me and we finished it togehter. Not only will I miss but the his familiy and Marine brothers as well.

R.I.P. Cpl. John C. Tanner :flag:

If YOU OVERRIDE THE CENSOR AGAIN YOU WILL FIND OUT WHAT I CAN DO...winky wink

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-03-07, 11:21 AM
Hurricane, I am sorry for your loss. It always hits home when we lose a friend.

sparkie
09-03-07, 11:29 AM
Hurricane, I understand your loss, You will carry him the rest of your days. I joined with a buddy in HS, Jim Perkins. He didn't make it back. May they all RIP.

rvillac2
09-03-07, 11:46 AM
Looks like our brothers in the Patriot Guard will pay their respects, too.
God Bless Cpl Tanner at his new duty station, the Streets of Heaven.

http://www.patriotguard.org/Forums/tabid/61/postid/626230/view/topic/Default.aspx

Phantom Blooper
09-03-07, 02:10 PM
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/120992.html (http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/120992.html)

Blast kills Marine

Columbus native Lance Cpl. John C. Tanner, 21, was stationed in California

BY MICK WALSH - mwalsh@ledger-enquirer.com (mwalsh@ledger-enquirer.com) --

The war in Iraq has claimed the life of a 21-year-old Marine from Columbus.
The family of Cpl. John Corey Tanner was notified Wednesday that he had been killed in a roadside bomb incident in Iraq.
The Defense Department said late Thursday that Tanner died Wednesday while conducting combat operations in Anbar province. He was assigned to the 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, Calif.
"The family's taking this pretty hard," said Brandon Tanner, one of the three sons of Melanie Tanner of Columbus and Hank Tanner of Panama City Beach, Fla. "My mother's taking it worse than the rest of us."
Brandon recently separated from active duty with the Air Force and is employed by Aflac.
John Tanner entered the Marine Corps in June 2006 and wanted to become a Marine aviator after his deployment ended. "I'm sure he was looking forward to making the Marines a career," Brandon said.
John Tanner's wife, Anna, lives in Montana with her parents and was also notified of her husband's death Wednesday. She is expecting the couple's first child next month.
Melanie Tanner, who works as a nurse at Columbus Regional, spent much of the day Thursday deciding where to bury her son. But arrangements cannot be completed until his body is returned to the United States.
While his brothers are both graduatesalumni of Jordan High School, John Tanner attended Hallie Turner School and earned his GED before entering the Marine Corps.
"He loved the Corps and was a good Marine," Brandon Tanner said. "We're still trying to accept the idea that he's gone."

RIP Marine! Take the point on the streets lined with gold! Godspeed,Fairwinds and following seas! Semper Fidelis! :flag:

:evilgrin:

<!-- this is commented out to enable comments on all stories in the pubsys --><!-- Begin Prospero Comments --><!----><!-- End Prospero Comments --><!-- Begin Prospero Comments for real--><SCRIPT>var comment_headline="[/mi/pubsys/story/headline]";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript src="/static/scripts/mi/prospero_active_content.js"></SCRIPT>

sparkie
09-03-07, 02:30 PM
<DT class=quote>Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/33737.html) <DD class=author>
Ronald Reagan </DD>

Haffner
09-03-07, 06:41 PM
I didn't know Cpl. Tanner too incredibly well, but the loss of him hit 3rd tracks hard. He'll be missed. I was shocked as all hell at formation last week when the CO came out and let us know.

Sorry for your loss. Now he's busy pullin' guard duty in heaven!