PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Honor

Brutus023
08-31-07, 09:48 PM
The Marine Corps is going to be my military branch of choosing after high school and mission. I've read into the Marines alot, and it seems like the best way to go. I'm not weak, but I am fat. I can run the 1.5 mi in about 22 min and can do 56 crunches in two minutes. I'm getting there but hey, it's only my junior year. Anyway, I have alot of respect for you Marines. I hope one day I'll be able to get over my weaknesses (pain is weakness leaving the body- I read that somewhere...) and quit being so **** green. What do you vets have for me in the way of words of wisdom/encouragement? What's the USMC's rules on tattoos?

1 PART BRAIN, 2 PARTS SOUL, 3 PARTS BODY=MARINE IN FULL

Thanks!
Semper Fi.
:devious:

kbs95125
08-31-07, 10:13 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/bltattoo.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2007/03/marine_tattoo_changes_032007/
http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ec7256307ac62075852572a3007c12fc?OpenDocument

Brutus023
08-31-07, 10:20 PM
So is it okay if I get an EGA on my back-left shoulder blade?
:(

kbs95125
08-31-07, 10:24 PM
Why are you worried about it now? You aren't even a Poolee yet and its the last thing you should be worried about.

As far as the rule states though, it shouldn't be a problem, however I have been told that all tattoos need to be approved by your unit command or someone to that extent. Who knows where the rules will stand later on down the road.

First worry about PTing your butt off.

crazymjb
08-31-07, 10:25 PM
Also, I wouldn't recomend getting any Marine Corps tattoos BEFORE you earn the title.

Mike

Brutus023
08-31-07, 10:28 PM
Okay

kbs95125
08-31-07, 10:30 PM
Also, I wouldn't recomend getting any Marine Corps tattoos BEFORE you earn the title.

Yeah, that would be a really bad choice.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-31-07, 10:31 PM
If you get a Marine Corps tattoo before you earn the title of Marine you're setting yourself up to get killed in boot camp.

It is actually a bad idea to get any tattoo. We have one member here that had tattoos that would not have been any problem. But, they changed the rules shortly before he was ready to enlist, and that kept him out. There is no promise that they won't change the rules again.

mickeyballek
08-31-07, 10:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken all tattoos must be approved [as said before]
And they cannot show when in your PTs [Shorts and T-shirt]
Pretty much- No forearms or legs.

kbs95125
08-31-07, 10:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken all tattoos must be approved [as said before]
And they cannot show when in your PTs [Shorts and T-shirt]
Pretty much- No forearms or legs.

The rule seems to mainly apply to 1/4, 1/2, and full sleeves on the arms or legs. At this point they are not waiverable at all. A single tattoo that can be covered by a hand (o the part exposed outside of PT gear) is able to be processed for a waiver but there is no promise it will be passed. I was able to get my forearm and inside bicep waived in, which both are exposed in PT gear. Its all in how the rule is interpretted and by whom.

This is what I was told by the liason at MEPs and a few other Marines. They also said the new rule doesn't prevent Marines from getting new tattoos, as long as they fall within the guidelines, but that they will have to be documented and approved by a CO before and after and pictures must be in your file.

Haffner
08-31-07, 10:58 PM
Hey, I know especially as of late I come off a little harsh on this forum, but it's apparent what you REALLY need to work on is your physical fitness.

No more tattoos, if you even have any yet.
22 minutes for a mile and a half...I guarantee your ass theres something TERRIBLY wrong with your running technique. I know nothing about you at all, besides that. There's some fundamental you must be missing out on -- without knowing you I KNOW you can do better than that. You want to at LEAST get yourself to 11-12 minutes MAX for that 1.5 mile. Find a highschool buddy (or make one if not applicable) on the track or cross country team (or even that coach) and have him examine your stride, your breathing, etc etc.

I guarantee you you could knock minutes off of that 22 easy. And when you do, that'll motivate the ever living crap out of you. So DO IT! You wanna be a Marine -- you better get your rear in gear.

You're lucky -- you've figured out you wanna be a Marine in junior year of high school. I didn't figure that out til a few years later. You have so much time to better yourself. START NOW! And good luck.

Brutus023
08-31-07, 11:53 PM
Thanks, Haffner. Here's some more info on my phys:

Hght: 5'10"
Wght: 280lbs
Rch: 25in
Bench: 200lbs
1.5mi: 22min
Toxi: No drugs, alcohol, tobacco... EVER.
Soda?: 5-10/week (12oz cans Dt Coke)
Exercise: 14hrs/wk
Sports?: Football-casual, boxing-casual
Hereditary: History of diabetes, heart disease, cancer.
Current: none
Allergies: none
Breath hold: 2min9sec
Swim: yes (but I don't because I have stretchmarks on my belly and tits-- yes, I do have tits-- and I'm a guy)
Disease (STD or other): none
Surgery: ingui hern (age 1), gall bladder removal (age 13)
TV watch/week: 10 hours
Videogames: no (occasional Xbox)
Tattoos: none
Bed/rise: 8:30PM, 6AM

What can you deduce from that?
:(

Haffner
08-31-07, 11:58 PM
I can deduce that you're on the right track, but you need to push harder! Everyone, almost everyone, is in this bubble. They don't know how to push out of it. Some people can expand the ****TTTTTTTTTTT out of it, but not quite push out of it...that bubble is your comfort zone. Break it!

Take it to a new level. If your'e running and your stomach starts hurting...good! Dont' dare slow down, keep that pace! Means you're doing some good ****. If you throw up, freakin' awesome! That means you were really putting out. Quick pat on your back and start running again.

I have never been overweight, so I'm not the best of help on that. But I will say one thing. Hit your pullups freakin' really hard, constantly from the weight you are now until you hit your goal weight. Just imagine getting 10 pullups at 280 how easy it'd be to get 20 or even MORE at 210ish.

Just remember...every time you think you're pushing your hardest, you can push harder. Just imagine a lil' LCpl. Haffner on your shoulder saying, "Hey, F@cker, I know you got more than that in your! SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT! DON'T LET ME DOWN!"

kbs95125
09-01-07, 12:07 AM
Stop drinking soda. Stop watching TV. Stop playing video games.

PT. Run, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, Run. Run. Run.

SladeReaper13
09-01-07, 12:19 AM
Yea the tattoo on my right arm definately shows in PT gear like serious but its just above my elbow so it will not show in uniform so it is waiverable. Just like one of my friends she has a tattoo on her neck which is not allowed according to policy. But it shows in PT gear but is covered in uniform so it was waiverable.

LeonardLawrence
09-01-07, 12:42 AM
Words of wisdom. Think your interests name it. Lay off the x-box, the steak and the sleep. Ignore the friends who laugh and surround yourself with positive people who are brutally honest.

And I would change your quote to...

"Those who the gods would destroy, they first make Marines"

Stay motivated.

KRenee87
09-01-07, 06:39 AM
You didn't say what you have been eating. Cut out that junk food to once a week.

I love my PS2 but it has been sitting in the attic for months because I've had classes and work. I should really go bring that thing down.........

jetdoc
09-01-07, 09:12 AM
Stop drinking soda. Stop watching TV. Stop playing video games.

PT. Run, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, Run. Run. Run.

I stopped right here with Kyle...thats is number 1...stop freaken drinking that crap soda dude, its going to kill you. I don't drink any of that $hit...very rarely I will have a diet coke with a meal, like once a month or so.

Don't worry about tats right now, and whatever you do, as others have said....DO NOT GET A USMC tattoo now, you will be in a world of $hit.

Focus on your fitness, diet is key man....don't eat within like 3 hours of sleeping. I've always trained at the gym, I had a layoff last year from july-dec, didn't go at all really. I started this past Jan again. I weighed like 278 and I'm 73"....I was a fat piece of crap...So from Jan till now I have been training about 5-6 days a week. I do lots of supersets and compound sets and do cardio with my weight training essentially.

As I had not really adjusted my diet till about 45 days ago I weighed myself about 45 days ago and I was 247 or so, in sweaty workout clothes. In these last 45 days since I've cleaned up my diet I have dropped some serious fat, but I have not weighed myself yet. I am not obsessed with the scale...I use the mirror and how my clothes fit as a guide...the mirror doesn't lie.

Stay focused on your goal of being a Marine...clean up your diet. Eat, breath and live USMC, like most of our pooless here. These guys motivate me...I love the poolees. I post over here way more than on the main board...you guys rokc!!!!

Good luck with being a Marine.

VatofromSanAnto
09-01-07, 04:27 PM
I had to get a waiver for my tattoos, especially the one on my leg, which is my name in olde english and two tat's above my elbows. As far as excercising, stay motivated bro. I went from doing 4 pull ups to 20. Its all about repitition. Don't excercise more than what you can't handle, you wil get injured. I had to learn the hard way. I injured my achillies tendon and was on the sidelines for a month and half, it sucked bro my recruiter wanted to extend my shipout date. Also, make sure to warm up then proceed with stretching then your work out then cool down which should involve stretching. good luck.

Brutus023
09-03-07, 03:55 PM
Here's to the beginning of my personal boot camp. Starting tuesday, Sep 4, at 0400 hrs, I'm going to be doing 500% my current PT and exercise. That means my body will be screaming for compromise and whatnot, but I WON'T GIVE IN!

"What's pain!?"
"French bread!"
"What's fatigue!?"
"Army clothes!"
"Will you ever give up!?"
"No! We want some mo'! We want some mo'!"
- If you can't tell what movie that's from then there's no helping you.

Thanks for the suggestions and support, fellas.

Ooh Rah!
Semper Fi
:devious: :devious:
:evilgrin: -My li'l "Mini-Haffner"

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-03-07, 05:16 PM
That is a very bad idea. Increasing your work load by 500% will lead to over training. Your body won't be able to recover and you'll end up getting weaker. I also don't see the need to do it at 0400 unless you have to be somewhere by 0600 or something. You shouldn't ever spend more than an hour or so in the gym (unless you're one of those really huge body builder types, and they know what they're doing) and cardio shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes most days unless you're training for a marathon- which I suppose you aren't since you're worried about getting fit.

Brutus023
09-03-07, 05:25 PM
Alright, E4B, I'll reconsider... how's this?

0600 hours (the time I usually get up): 10 min push-ups, 10 min sit-ups, 10 min jumping jacks, 30 min jogging... That's 100% more than what I usually do...

I also stretch and warmup, so I'm good there.
Also, OPERATION: NO SODA/JUNKFOOD/FASTFOOD begins tonight at 1900.

Ooh Rah

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-03-07, 05:27 PM
That sounds much better. In a week or two increase the time, or do it again in the evening. As you're able, increase the speed of your runs and you'll get there.

Watching the diet should be your number one priority. But, why wait? You can eliminate the junk right now.

Brutus023
09-03-07, 05:29 PM
Okay, OPERATION: NO SODA/JUNKFOOD/FASTFOOD begins in 3,2,1...

Haffner
09-03-07, 06:01 PM
Your little mini Haffner is a badass! Haha, that's good **** man.

Brutus023
09-03-07, 06:06 PM
ooh rah

sparkie
09-03-07, 06:56 PM
In my experience, all building up starts with a tearing down. I experienced it with boxing and weight lifting.
Echo Four is right,,, start slow. at your age, push a little, and tear down should last only about 10 days before you start to see great results. Avoid injury, build it right. PS It's gonna hurt.

09-04-07, 05:55 PM
ooh rah

Have you been through Recruit Training yet ?

Did you earn the title ?

NO ?!?!!!

So why are you on this site using phrases such as "Ooh Rah" and "Semper Fidelis" ?!?!!

Learn the rules and show some RESPECT !!!

kbs95125
09-04-07, 06:17 PM
Hey, you need to chill out. He has been very respectful, and hasn't had any kind of attitude problem once. He has been trying to learn information to help himself out. While it is a rule in the site not to use those phrases unless you have earned them, let a Marine handle that if they feel the need. Or, if you really feel the urge to say something to him do it in a PM. YOU need to learn some respect for your fellow Poolees and give yourself a little attitude adjustment.

kbs95125
09-04-07, 06:21 PM
I misread your profile and thought you were a Poolee. My mistake.

I still stand by every other part of my statement though.

Brutus023
09-05-07, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't think I had to earn the right to say Semper Fi and Ooh Rah. I won't say them again. From now on it's all keeping my head low and "Yes, sir" or "Yes, ma'am" Again, sorry!

sparkie
09-05-07, 06:36 PM
Brutus,,, unlax. And Kyle, you were right on. Around here, we don't mind a cheering section, With motivation. We don't have copyright papers on those words. Yes, we request your respect, If you're a wanna be, , , , For your own good.,,,,, part of your tranin. You have already shown your respect, That is fine with us. If you are "Gung HO" than say so. You have earned the right to desire your dream.

Brutus023
09-05-07, 07:14 PM
I had to collect myself before I wrote anything sappy...

Thank you. I'm not messing around when I say those seven heavy words: I want to join the Marine Corps. Saying Semper Fi and Ooh Rah is just a part of who I am: A Marine inside. I want to defend the freedoms which so many Americans take for granted; I want to defend those Americans. I know that some Americans seem beyond redemption, but no one should ever say that! We're all humans on this water-covered rock called Earth. It's a moral decision and then a physical application to defend and protect humans, innocent or not. Again, thank you all, those of you who have earned the right (and especially those of you who have fought. Your wounds, loss of limb and life, will not go unavenged as long as I draw breath.)

To the Marines abroad, to the Marines everywhere:

THANK YOU

coolj0098
09-05-07, 07:40 PM
ok now i am not even a poolie yet. but i go to the recruting office once a week and they let me run with them. to get in shape. im 17 and weigh 240 i run a 8 min mile but if you go to your local recruiter im prety sure he would let you work out with the pollies

Books
09-06-07, 09:02 PM
Hello Brutus,

I started from the same position you are in during my sophmore year of high school. Unfortunately, my major crutch was my inactivity due to my extreme obsession in reading (hence, Books) and computers. I must have been 100% fat. Absolutely no physical activity. No endurance. All my joints are weak and messed up (still pain me all the time, have to use ice). Accord made a great exercise reccomendation that's stickied... Using this machine called an elyptical which I've never heard of before his post, but I found one at my gym, and it is amazing. Much easier on the knees for us heavier folk, and I can go longer on it and burn many more calories. But yeah, read the daily moto and ask yourself how badly you want it before you do anything and everything.

I started at about 255 or so in January during my sophmore year, and by the Spring I was down to 230. I think I've plateaud at the moment though... Haven't made any progress since early summer. I got more muscle mass, I don't look as flabby, but I'm still pretty much the same weight. But now I'm not losing it, and I don't seem to be losing fat either. I don't know what to do. I PT every day. The only thing I can think of is that I need more sleep and more water. I've always done with 5-6 hours of sleep and diet soda all day. Looks like I'll have to make the switch...

HurricaneRJ
09-06-07, 10:04 PM
Change your diet and exercise. Your body has gotten use to the same routine.

kbs95125
09-06-07, 10:49 PM
diet soda

NO!:devious:

HurricaneRJ
09-06-07, 10:54 PM
What about Diet Green Tea?

SlingerDun
09-06-07, 11:33 PM
Brutus if i may,

Having done exclusively manual labor since boyhood i am a staunch proponent of working smarter not harder. From what i can tell your condition will benefit from that philosophy.

Check out the web or yellow pages for personal trainers, before asking about price (professionals dont like that) inquire about a consultation session.

Many will interview and set you up with a fitness and feed program in a one hour visit, that wont break the bank.

While still on the phone ask for credentials, what organization they are certified with, then ask about prices.

Research their organization on the web and make an appointment. If you cant afford a one time consultation from a certified personal trainer, get a loan.

I dont guarantee nothing but im pretty sure it will save you money in the long run and definitely time and wasted effort by letting a professional assess your physical needs.

--->Dave

Jdncowboy
09-07-07, 03:36 AM
Drink lots and lots and lots of water. At least a gallon a day, or even more the more the better, I drink at least 1.5 - 2.0 gallons of water a day. And just like everyone else is saying no soda. I haven't had soda in like 9 months. The stuff is just a waste of money.:thumbup:

Brutus023
09-08-07, 10:16 PM
Everybody, thank you all for the advice. Since I've started this thread I've gone from 280 to 275, and I keep losing weight. I tried benching again after the summer and 200 killed me, so I only did 150. I'll keep to the standards of the Marine Corps and, hopefully, in about four or five years, I'll be among you. I'm seventeen, unemployed, and am starting to taste the difference between soda and water. Water=smooth and feels like a shower for your insides, soda=rough and hinders me when I run. I've had only one soda a day and I'm starting to hate the stuff. Healthy meals, about two hours of exercise, 900 calories a day, and even my fat dog is benefitting because he's getting walked. The reason my username is Brutus023 is because my favorite pet, a dachshund named Brutus, died this past summer. He was my Devil Dog because he got in a fight with two Alaskan Huskies and bit one of their ears off. He lived from that, and had scars to show all the "female dogs". He died blind, fat and happy at the age of 11. He's my moto. The Marines are my moto.

Thanks.

Brutus023
09-16-07, 12:08 AM
I Got My Mile N Half In 14 Min 22 Sec!

davblay
09-16-07, 12:17 AM
, in about four or five years, I'll be among you. I'm seventeen, unemployed, and am starting to taste the difference between soda and water. Water=smooth and feels like a shower for your insides, soda=rough and hinders me when I run.

My azz! Stay off those sodas, eat real food, PT, Run---you will be one of us a lot sooner than you think if that's what you want! READ the Fatbody threads on this site. :evilgrin:

Whitey
09-16-07, 12:18 AM
Here's something, why doesn't someone make a post about running technique? I mean, a lot of people(including me) didn't know there was even a breathing technique for running. anyone anyone?

jungholee90
09-16-07, 01:45 AM
Hey Brutus023, That's freaking moto right there, from 22 min to 14 min and 22 sec! Keep working at it and get it down to 9 min ;]
Like suggestions few others made, check out your local recruitng office and ask them if you can participate in PTs. I always bring a friend to PT, and also see even Freshmen at high school join us in PT. It's a great way to work out and to keep that motivation high.

For the run techniques, I use this when I run, so here it is.

Breathing: Focus on your breathing while you run. Keep a same breathing pattern throughout. I usually inhale for 3 steps and then exhale at 4th. You need lots of oxygen intake, so keep exhale short and fast. Keep your head up at all times.

Running: Run with natural stirde, not too long or too short. Don't start out fast, but start at a pace you can keep it thoughout and possible speed up. Lean your body forward so that you will move forward rather than moving up and down too much. Relax your arms and shoulders. Roll your feet from heel to toe smoothly and try not to make stomping noise.

Shortening time: Sprint 10 seconds, Walk 20 seconds, alternate that until you run 1.5 miles. Do that for a week. Then Sprint 10 seconds, jog 20 until 1.5 mile for another week, then slowly increase sprint time and decrease jog time. Then increase the distance. Sprinting will shorten the run time.

Hope this helps!

Brutus023
09-19-07, 06:54 PM
This is the workout routine that's getting me into shape. I can handle it, and I'm feeling good!

0500hrs: Stretch for 5 minutes
0506hrs: Alternate 20 push-ups, sit-ups, and jumping jacks for 30 minutes
0532hrs: Alternate 5 minutes jogging and 1 minute walking for 30 minutes
0605hrs: Do x pull-ups (x=maximum+1)
0610hrs: Stretch for 5 minutes
0616hrs: Run up the bleachers twice, then do suicides
0700hrs: Stretch for 5 minutes

Doing this every morning and afternoon wipes me out by 1900hrs, so I get to sleep really easily. I haven't touched soda in two weeks, and don't plan to. My mile1/2 is 14min22sec, and I'm getting it checked again on friday. I've gone from 284 lbs in late August (8/27/07) to 274 lbs now (9/19/07). Diet consists of salad with grilled chicken (dinner-my only meal), string cheese (2-one in the morning and one with dinner), and 10 pints of water daily (1.25gal).

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

kbs95125
09-19-07, 07:46 PM
Getting better!

Remember to change it up every now and then, or your body will adjust to it and you won't see results as fast.

Also, you should be eating more then one meal a day, not only is it unhealthy for you to only eat once a day but it also screws with your metabolism and can actually have the reverse results you are looking for. Maybe make some cooked egg whites in the morning with a small amount of high fiber cereal or a small thing of oatmeal with some fruits. Try a can of tuna or something light for lunch, maybe spread it on a high fiber cracker like a Triscut. The fiber makes you feel fuller faster so you eat less, and the tuna and egg whites are both high in protien. Put a snack in between each meal, like a handful of peanuts or almonds, which are high in fiber and protien. Eating small portions throughout the day boosts your metabolism greatly. Eating only one meal a day puts an undue load on your body and causes it to retain alot of things it doesn't need. Remember you do need to have some salt intake as well with all that water you are drinking or it won't do you much good. Also, when you start a diet plan you really should take a multi-vitamin just to make sure your body gets everything it needs that you may not be giving it. I would suggest removing the string cheese because dairy products are usually high in fat, but definitely take a mutli-vitamin then to make sure you get enough calicium.

Brutus023
09-19-07, 08:06 PM
What about chicken instead of tuna? Tuna's gross.

sparkie
09-19-07, 08:10 PM
High on all protien,,, low on all carbs,,, and mix it up. Keep your body guessing. Eat more meals,,, Keep them weak on carbs.