PDA

View Full Version : Weird question - Reserves

762x39guy
08-31-07, 02:44 PM
Greetings,

This is kind of a weird request, so bear with me. About 9 years ago, I enlisted with the corps. I scored very high on the ASVAB and slected 0511 as my MOS. Well, due to some medical circumstances about 2 months into traning (rifle range snap-in), my future with the Marines was cut short. The concensus was that if I was evaluated again (and signed off on) by a doctor >2yrs later, I would be eligable again for service. That date has long since past, and things have changed greatly.

I still consider that part of my life unfinished business, something that still bothers me to this day. I now am well into my career, house, family, etc. It is simply unfeasable for me to drop my current way of life and go full throttle back into being enlisted. So, I've been considering the Reserves route, as it would still alow me to earn my EGA and be of service w/o changing our entire lifestyle.

My concern is, a reservist is a "free agent" of sorts in the eyes of uncle sam. As I understand it, reservists do not get their choice of MOS. Is this still true? Are there any specialties would would better suit someone who was originally an 0511 style candidate (I am a high level network infrastrucutre designer), or is purely the luck of the draw? Do they take into account current abilities/education and ASVAB scores at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Marine84
08-31-07, 02:50 PM
oh hell, here we go.......................I don't know why everybody thinks Reservists might not get called up. Honey, stay at home - be a Husband and a Daddy and know that THAT is YOUR calling.

762x39guy
08-31-07, 02:53 PM
Never said anything about not being called up....

thedrifter
08-31-07, 02:55 PM
Please update Your profile....762x39guy;)

Ellie

762x39guy
08-31-07, 02:56 PM
Please update Your profile....762x39guy;)

Ellie

Done :)

thedrifter
08-31-07, 03:00 PM
Thank You

Carry On!

Ellie

762x39guy
08-31-07, 03:04 PM
I want to make this clear from the get go -- I'm not, in any way shape or form, asking about "easy mode" for the Marines. I know that there is a risk of being deployed with ANY reserve occupation. My wife knows this, and she supports me in any decision I make. However, I simply cannot rip our current infrastructure down -- quit my job, sell the house and haul my family around the country -- that simply is not a viable decision. What I *do* want to know is if there will be an ocupation that would capitalize on my already existing experience or not... I didn't want this to turn into a flame war or anything.

If the logic "any family man should remain as such", then I'm sure the reserve pools would be much smaller than they are already ;)

rvillac2
08-31-07, 03:11 PM
When you enlist into the Reserve, you are filling a billet at a nearby reserve station. For this reason, your MOS is already selected and your training and schools are scheduled accordingly. You should ask the recruiter what reserve stations are reasonably close to you and if they are taking positions similar to what you want.

The first step is to reconnect with a recruiter.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-31-07, 04:22 PM
You can pick any MOS at a reserve station that you can get to for drill. If there is a reserve unit near you that has 0511s you would probably be able to get that job. As a reservist you can pick your exact MOS. As an active duty Marine you cannot, you only pick the field- and it has been that way for years.

CJHall0511
09-19-07, 07:51 AM
As an 0511 myself for the past 8 years active duty I just recently joined the reserves. Not sure how it works for people that have never been in before but for me, this is how it worked. I contacted the prior service recruiter at my nearby reserve station figuring I didn't want to drive alot. Told him when I was in I was an 0511 and wanted to do the reserve thing as an 0511. He then told me that they do not have 0511 billets at that reserve station so I'll have to fill a different billet. The closest thing I could find was in Comm and the only thing they had open was a Wireman. I only went with Comm since like all 0511's they deal with electronics and have a security clearance. Thinking I was still going to have my MOS, I signed up. I then later find out that your old MOS goes to the back burner and your billet MOS becomes your new one, at least once you go to a formal school for it. What I would suggest is if you want an MOS like 0511, check with the local recruiter to see where there's an open billet. Or if you get a good recruiter, let them know what type of job you want and they'll call around to all their buddies to see if there's a billet you can fill. Some of the guys I drill with drive 2.5 hours one way but I've heard of 8 hour drives before. It's up to you. You have to weigh that with the job you want and where it's at. Hope this helps and of course it's only my personal experience so take it for what it's worth.
Lastly, I commend you on your dedication and willingness to still serve. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Marine84
09-19-07, 10:45 AM
It is simply unfeasable for me to drop my current way of life and go full throttle back into being enlisted. So, I've been considering the Reserves route, as it would still alow me to earn my EGA and be of service w/o changing our entire lifestyle.

These words right here is what makes me think it may not be the way for you to go. Nobody was/is/will flame you for being a family man. Being a Reserve Marine WILL change your life just as like being an AD one will.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-19-07, 04:18 PM
As a reservist you ship to boot camp knowing exactly what MOS you will have. On active duty you ship only knowing what field you will have- if that.

However, your job selection will be limited. There has to be an opening in an MOS at a reserve unit that you can get to every month for drill. For example, if you live near a helo squadron reserve unit, you're not going to be an 0311.

When I got off active duty I went into the reserves for a while. On active duty I held the MOS of 2532 and a secondary MOS of 2531. (They changed to 06XX from 25XX a few years ago and 2532 is now two jobs) When I went to enter the reserve I found there are two units near me- a TOW Company and Arty Battery. Neither of which had 2532 but both needed 2531s. So, I was a 2531.