PDA

View Full Version : Shady Recruiters

Cbx9
08-30-07, 06:38 PM
Hopefully I'm the first, however...something tells me that I'm not.

For my recruiters sake, I will leave his name out.

I have been interested in the Marine Corps since birth practically, i enlisted the day i turned 18, and spent my days at the recruiting office many a time before that. My parents were against my enlistment...but i figure it's natural for a parent to fear for their childs life. Anyway...

Post MEPS my recruiter no longer answers his phone..even on Pool Function days, i have no ride without him...
As far as preparing me for Basic..nothing has been done, despite my attempts to ask him to help me out..I've done what I can on my own.
I leave messages, and occasionally he does answer. Now i know recruiters are busy...but i feel like I'm being pushed aside now that I've signed the papers. My ship date is Sep. 17th for MCRD SD. I've asked to meet other poolees, practically live at 24 hour fitness (my local gym), and to participate in anything i can prior to my leaving for basic...none of which has happened.

Whats a poolee to do?
and
Has anyone else heard of/experienced the "Shady Recruiter"?

Thanks for the help.

kbs95125
08-30-07, 06:52 PM
I would assume there is more then one recruiter at your office? Call one of them. I'm sure they'll eventually get tired of it and get on him about keeping in touch with you. I have "trouble" getting ahold of my recruiter, not because he is avoiding me, but because he is really busy. He always returns my calls, and usually calls me if he hasn't heard from me in a day or two.

Is there part of the story you've left out?

Your recruiters name and number should be a part of your profile.

And...

It's boot camp, not basic....

Cbx9
08-30-07, 06:54 PM
Ah, my bad. **Boot Camp**

And, nope...didn't leave anything out, however I have gone around 2-3 weeks without contacting my recruiter..or without him contacting me..despite my calls. Perhaps he is just a busy busy Recruiter.

I don't like to complain, so i hope this isn't taken as complaining, but I was under the impression a recruiter is somewhat of a mentor? Correct my a$$ if im wrong.

kbs95125
08-30-07, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't say you are wrong.

Do you call the RSS? Or his cell phone?

Make it a point to get to know the other recruiters. I can walk into the RSS and talk to anybody there and ask anybody a question. They all know me and know my name and help me when my recruiter is out of the office. My recruiter doesn't take it personal at all. He just has an area in there recruiting district that is a little out in the boonies compared to everyone else, so he isn't in the office alot.

Heres what a SSgt at my RSS said to us when a few Poolees where failing to show up to Wednesday PT and "forgetting" to call.

"You're all grown men and women. You know what our schedule is around here. If you need a ride, call someone. If that doesn't work, take a bus. Nobody is here to wipe your *** for you anymore. We are here to prepare you for boot camp, but we will not do the work for you."

Cbx9
08-30-07, 07:08 PM
Well put, thanks for the kick in the ***...seriously.

kbs95125
08-30-07, 07:12 PM
No problem, hope it all works out for you.

As always, just STAY MOTIVATED!

hempstead56
08-30-07, 08:18 PM
My initial recruiter was moved to another RSS but I still show up to his old office all the time. I PT by myself. When it comes down to wanting something so bad sometimes you have to do it by your self. What are your Run time/Pull Ups/Crunches?

I wouldn't say you are wrong.

Do you call the RSS? Or his cell phone?

Make it a point to get to know the other recruiters. I can walk into the RSS and talk to anybody there and ask anybody a question. They all know me and know my name and help me when my recruiter is out of the office. My recruiter doesn't take it personal at all. He just has an area in there recruiting district that is a little out in the boonies compared to everyone else, so he isn't in the office alot.

Heres what a SSgt at my RSS said to us when a few Poolees where failing to show up to Wednesday PT and "forgetting" to call.

"You're all grown men and women. You know what our schedule is around here. If you need a ride, call someone. If that doesn't work, take a bus. Nobody is here to wipe your a** for you anymore. We are here to prepare you for boot camp, but we will not do the work for you."

Barrette
08-30-07, 09:16 PM
Listen you only need your recruiter for 3 things the rest you get on your own 1) Getting Your A$$ To meps 2)Getting you the right contract/MOS and makeing sure your waivers are all set"Thats The big one" 3) Getting your A$$ shipped to boot...

Besides that everything is you why do you have to meet other poolies are they going to be in the same rack as you... Pting your better off doing it by yourself. Answer question going in there knowing your stuff studdy online you don't need them for any of that... He is busy and sometimes there questions that they think you should find out for yourself and exspirence it. If they told how everything was going to be at bootcamp it wouldn't be such a culture shock let say when you get there... So leave them alone and get yourself ready he can't be up your @$$ everyday pushing you when you should be pushing yourself....

kbs95125
08-30-07, 09:30 PM
I would have to disagree about PTing by yourself.

Not only can PTing with other people keep you motivated, you can help keep other Poolees motivated as well. From everything I've learned from this site and the Marines on here, its not about YOU, its about the MARINE CORPS.

Until the Marine Corps starts giving new recruits a silk pillow and a 10am wake up call I can safely guess it will still be a culture shock for 99.9% of the men and women who set foot on the yellow footprints..

I believe the most famous saying on this board by Marines, past and present, is "You can't be prepared. It's a completely different world."

Integrity57
08-30-07, 09:38 PM
I have to check in with my recruiter every monday now that I went to MEPs and signed my contract, and honestly I was getting tired of seeing him and going to the office, but whatever, it's better than having no contact at all with him. And as far as PT, I handle all that on my own, my recruiter knows I'm motivated and that I go to the gym at least 5 days a week so there's no reason for him the bug the **** out of me about it. Just remember that not all recruiters are GOOD recruiters, ****birds get volun-TOLD to do recruiting duty too, but there's also the chance that he may be a busy Marine. I know our RS handles this section of Wyoming, some of northern Colorado, and they just picked up western Nebraska, which keeps our recruiters plenty busy. But listen to Barrette, don't rely on your recruiter for much more than enlistment issues, handle your PT and all related junk on your own, so what if you miss a Pool function, you can still PT on your own, and since he's your only source of transportation to the Pool functions AND your recruiter, it falls on him if you don't make it.

08-30-07, 09:53 PM
...when it comes down to it, the Recruiter is NOT your friend. I realize that this is a Marine forum, but this story is applicable to this situation. When I was in the process of joining the Army, every single NCO that worked in that office was all smiles, jokes, just treating me like I was "one of the boys". You know, they told me all about the good times they had in the service and this was all the way up until they dropped me off at MEPS to ship out. Many months later after my MOS schooling was complete, I participated in the hometown-recruiter program. I walked in, very excited to see my "old friends," had a big ole sh*t-eating grin on my face, proud of my little PFC rank, and said very casually, "Hey guys, I did it !!!!!!"................. Nevertheless, I was not met with a happy smile, instead, I was put at parade-rest, and in a "straightforward" manner full of profanity, I had a crash-course refresher on respect for an NCO....
I realized then, that during the enlistment process, we were nothing more than "revenue numbers" for the "salesmen" trying to meet their monthly quota....... Get it ?!?!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-30-07, 11:17 PM
Note the title "Recruiter". You signed up, he still has to get more people to recruit. You aren't his focus anymore.

It is up to you to prepare for boot camp. You know what the requirements are. You know what you have to be able to do. So, go get yourself ready and don't worry about it anymore.

rvillac2
08-30-07, 11:32 PM
Finally, a poolee that I can have lunch with.
CBX, send me an email. I work in Santa Monica.

crazymjb
08-31-07, 12:34 AM
That is unfortunate man. Our recruiters seem to treat us all as "one of the guys." They even have set up special additional functions in addition to PT just for our "enjoyment."

2007, jeez that is harsh. I have seen quite a few Marines come back to the RSS right from PISC and they seem just as close and casual with the recruiters as they did before they left. The attitude of our recruiters it would seem is relativly laid back. The recruiters even post their letters thanking them for the moto-letters recruits(now Marines) recieved in boot up on the wall.

While I am sure we are just numbers to them, I do believe (maybe I am wrong, but I have seen stuff to back this up) that the recruiters at my RSS really do take a liking to those of us who are very motivated, do our best to help them out, and try our best as well.

Mike

davblay
08-31-07, 01:00 AM
My last two years of military was as a recruiter (Army). In those two years I couldn't tell you how many I enlisted but I will say this, My primary job was RECRUITING, but I always found time for the soldiers I had enlisted that came back to see me. Before they shipped to Basic, I was there anytime they needed me. I had several that MOVED in with me at the office, I found jobs for them to do while they were there, filing and such, or going with me to see prospects.

But the bottom line---I was a recruiter and that was my job. Anyone that has never done recruiting duty is simply speculating! The ones waiting to ship were my friends, as I needed them and I used them every chance I got. Poolees are the best recruiting aid that the recruiters have. The best selling points, they are there for the prospects to see, in person.

In my experience, the recruiters are the busiest people in the Military! If they seem to be slighting you, it is not thier intention, trust me. That is one NCO that you can always go and talk to, when you need someone to listen and guide you during your entire military career. Every Marine is a recruiter, always remember that, even poolees, just like every Marine is a rifleman!

HurricaneRJ
08-31-07, 07:00 AM
Cpl. You couldn't put it any better. My recruiters are just like that, I stay in weekly contact and that's it. If need a question asked then I'll pop in and I know all the recruiters and advice is given from whoever is there. Also they way they treat Marines coming home is the same, they go out with them and give him adivce in the Marine Corps. They even keep in touch with them when they're in the fleet. Hell they even told me that one of my buddies in 2nd Recon (now MSOB). Got demoted for being drunk in the barracks.

Marine84
08-31-07, 08:03 AM
"You can't be prepared. It's a completely different world."

:scared: there it is AGAIN!

I think it's starting to sink in.....................