PDA

View Full Version : Challenging the Generals

thedrifter
08-26-07, 10:38 AM
August 26, 2007
Challenging the Generals
By FRED KAPLAN

On Aug. 1, Gen. Richard Cody, the United States Army’s vice chief of staff, flew to the sprawling base at Fort Knox, Ky., to talk with the officers enrolled in the Captains Career Course. These are the Army’s elite junior officers. Of the 127 captains taking the five-week course, 119 had served one or two tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan, mainly as lieutenants. Nearly all would soon be going back as company commanders. A captain named Matt Wignall, who recently spent 16 months in Iraq with a Stryker brigade combat team, asked Cody, the Army’s second-highest-ranking general, what he thought of a recent article by Lt. Col. Paul Yingling titled “A Failure in Generalship.” The article, a scathing indictment that circulated far and wide, including in Iraq, accused the Army’s generals of lacking “professional character,” “creative intelligence” and “moral courage.”

Yingling’s article — published in the May issue of Armed Forces Journal — noted that a key role of generals is to advise policy makers and the public on the means necessary to win wars. “If the general remains silent while the statesman commits a nation to war with insufficient means,” he wrote, “he shares culpability for the results.” Today’s generals “failed to envision the conditions of future combat and prepare their forces accordingly,” and they failed to advise policy makers on how much force would be necessary to win and stabilize Iraq. These failures, he insisted, stemmed not just from the civilian leaders but also from a military culture that “does little to reward creativity and moral courage.” He concluded, “As matters stand now, a private who loses a rifle suffers far greater consequences than a general who loses a war.”

General Cody looked around the auditorium, packed with men and women in uniform — most of them in their mid-20s, three decades his junior but far more war-hardened than he or his peers were at the same age — and turned Captain Wignall’s question around. “You all have just come from combat, you’re young captains,” he said, addressing the entire room. “What’s your opinion of the general officers corps?”

Over the next 90 minutes, five captains stood up, recited their names and their units and raised several of Yingling’s criticisms. One asked why the top generals failed to give political leaders full and frank advice on how many troops would be needed in Iraq. One asked whether any generals “should be held accountable” for the war’s failures. One asked if the Army should change the way it selected generals. Another said that general officers were so far removed from the fighting, they wound up “sheltered from the truth” and “don’t know what’s going on.”

Challenges like this are rare in the military, which depends on obedience and hierarchy. Yet the scene at Fort Knox reflected a brewing conflict between the Army’s junior and senior officer corps — lieutenants and captains on one hand, generals on the other, with majors and colonels (“field-grade officers”) straddling the divide and sometimes taking sides. The cause of this tension is the war in Iraq, but the consequences are broader. They revolve around the obligations of an officer, the nature of future warfare and the future of the Army itself. And these tensions are rising at a time when the war has stretched the Army’s resources to the limit, when junior officers are quitting at alarming rates and when political leaders are divided or uncertain about America’s — and its military’s — role in the world.

Colonel Yingling’s article gave these tensions voice; it spelled out the issues and the stakes; and it located their roots in the Army’s own institutional culture, specifically in the growing disconnect between this culture — which is embodied by the generals — and the complex realities that junior officers, those fighting the war, are confronting daily on the ground. The article was all the more potent because it was written by an active-duty officer still on the rise. It was a career risk, just as, on a smaller scale, standing up and asking the Army vice chief of staff about the article was a risk.

In response to the captains’ questions, General Cody acknowledged, as senior officers often do now, that the Iraq war was “mismanaged” in its first phases. The original plan, he said, did not anticipate the disbanding of the Iraqi Army, the disruption of oil production or the rise of an insurgency. Still, he rejected the broader critique. “I think we’ve got great general officers that are meeting tough demands,” he insisted. He railed instead at politicians for cutting back the military in the 1990s. “Those are the people who ought to be held accountable,” he said.

Before and just after America’s entry into World War II, Gen. George Marshall, the Army’s chief of staff, purged 31 of his 42 division and corps commanders, all of them generals, and 162 colonels on the grounds that they were unsuited for battle. Over the course of the war, he rid the Army of 500 colonels. He reached deep into the lower ranks to find talented men to replace them. For example, Gen. James Gavin, the highly decorated commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, was a mere major in December 1941 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Today, President Bush maintains that the nation is in a war against terrorism — what Pentagon officials call “the long war” — in which civilization itself is at stake. Yet six years into this war, the armed forces — not just the Army, but also the Air Force, Navy and Marines — have changed almost nothing about the way their promotional systems and their entire bureaucracies operate.

On the lower end of the scale, things have changed — but for the worse. West Point cadets are obligated to stay in the Army for five years after graduating. In a typical year, about a quarter to a third of them decide not to sign on for another term. In 2003, when the class of 1998 faced that decision, only 18 percent quit the force: memories of 9/11 were still vivid; the war in Afghanistan seemed a success; and war in Iraq was under way. Duty called, and it seemed a good time to be an Army officer. But last year, when the 905 officers from the class of 2001 had to make their choice to stay or leave, 44 percent quit the Army. It was the service’s highest loss rate in three decades.

Col. Don Snider, a longtime professor at West Point, sees a “trust gap” between junior and senior officers. There has always been a gap, to some degree. What’s different now is that many of the juniors have more combat experience than the seniors. They have come to trust their own instincts more than they trust orders. They look at the hand they’ve been dealt by their superiors’ decisions, and they feel let down.

Ellie

Gary Hall
08-26-07, 02:38 PM
In my 76th year, I have seen, participated in and experienced sufficient suffering as a consequence of being subjected to "Intelligence" promulgations, that I believe real intelligence to be so rare that for all practical purposes, doesn't exist. It therefore does not bother me, an ex-feces bird PFC to suggest a first step in order to make corrections would be to totally disband all Military Intelligence efforts and start all over, certainly under another, more appropriate title. The results surely could not be as disappointing, as those from the inception of recent time, 1776 onward. Kindest regards, Gary Hall, W-3-1, 1950 - 51 (" . . . boys, you'll all be home by Thanksgiving, (1950) . . . "; " . . . make that Christmas (1950) . . . "), "... light 'em up, if you've got 'em ..." Tyler, TX.

jawbreakeraph1
08-26-07, 04:09 PM
In the early eighties, I too left the Corps. This was largely due to the misinformation by the Btln. Commanders decision to, or should I say indecision to properly understand the consequences of the injuries I sustained while on active duty. Because of this decision, I have fought with the Corps for almost 27 years regarding the disabilities I recieved as a result of the dangerous duty I was on at the time. Reading this article brought me back to the lack of professionalism in the field grade officers corps that still reflects the voices in the ranks. The Corps was the best thing that ever happened to my life, and no disrespect intended in this response, but the attitude of the field grade officers has not changed. These are the same Officers that are now Generals. I pray for the troops that there is a clearer understanding for the mission and that the in-betweens in the Officers ranks will better advise the President and all other Field Staff members what the purpose of the mission in the long run will be and at the same time explain to the general public why, no more scuttle-butt, please get real for the sake of this Nation and the World.

rugbylvr
08-27-07, 01:33 AM
Hello. I went to this post because it seems like the most active right now, even though I'm about to hit the sack soon. I am seriously considering joining the Marine Corps. I am 22 years old, a graduate from Denison University, and am considering OCC. I love this country to death, and I strongly support the war in Afghanistan. I supported the Iraq invasion and liberation, but I have been highly critical of the administration in how the occupation has been carried out. I actually used to think a couple years ago that perhaps a pullout might be the wisest decision, but seeing the horrors of genocide that are starting the flare up (over 500 Yazidi tribe killed in the north last week), in addition to the consequences of regional war that could envelop, I have realized that we are going to be in Iraq for the long haul. Maybe like we are in the Balkans right now (thank God that none of the US or NATO troops have been killed in the 10+ years they've been there), but either way, whichever strategy we take, we have a strategic and moral obligation to the Iraqi people to give it our best, even though many seem to be choosing for sectarian strife and civil war over chaos. We also need to be ready for a war with the Iranians, which grows more and more likely as each passing day goes by and as each Iranian weapon kills our brave men and women.

Is there any advice you can give me?

WhiskeyPapa
08-28-07, 03:35 PM
Great article. It should be remembered that General Marshall was himself catapulted over dozens of general officers to become chief of staff. The civilians are ultimately responsible.

It is clear that Tommy Franks sold out the soldiers in his care for a book deal.