PDA

View Full Version : Hikes?

wannabe0311
08-23-07, 09:37 PM
My friend is in Recruit Training at Parris Island right now and he wrote me a letter and said they take miserable Hikes.How much hikes do you take?What do you do during hikes do you run all the way? and how much weight do you hike with?

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-23-07, 09:49 PM
You go on several "hikes" (called humps) during field training. You carry all of your stuff, I don't know how much it weighs- maybe 40-50 pounds. You don't run- you'll get yelled at if you run. But, it isn't a slow walk- the purpose is to move, so you move quickly.

wannabe0311
08-23-07, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that info :thumbup:

MarineGrunt1775
08-23-07, 10:10 PM
To be back on Pendelton and going up Mount Mother.......

BR34
08-24-07, 12:02 PM
My friend is in Recruit Training at Parris Island right now and he wrote me a letter and said they take miserable Hikes.How much hikes do you take?What do you do during hikes do you run all the way? and how much weight do you hike with?
There's a slinky like effect on humps, so you will be moving very fast (like a power walker) at times and at other times you will be moving just a little fast (like a fat power walker).

There's like 5 or 6 humps ranging from 3 miles to 10 miles. When you take off your pack your cammies will look like you went for a swim in them. Enjoy!

PatriotGirl422
08-24-07, 12:15 PM
The hikes get longer as you go further into training. You do all your hikes with the mollee pack. I don't know how much weight is in there, but probably around 40lbs. You do a 3, 5,6, 7 1/2, and then finally a 9 mile hike at the end of the crucible. If you're tall, then you don't have to move too fast. If you're the shortest one in your platoon (like me), then you'll be running the whole way. Either way, it's a fast walk.

PatriotGirl422
08-24-07, 12:16 PM
The hikes get longer as you go further into training. You do all your hikes with the mollee pack. I don't know how much weight is in there, but probably around 40lbs. You do a 3, 5,6, 7 1/2, and then finally a 9 mile hike at the end of the crucible. If you're tall, then you don't have to move too fast. If you're the shortest one in your platoon (like me), then you'll be running the whole way. Either way, it's a fast walk.

JCam0331
08-24-07, 03:12 PM
You go on several "hikes" (called humps) during field training. You carry all of your stuff, I don't know how much it weighs- maybe 40-50 pounds. You don't run- you'll get yelled at if you run. But, it isn't a slow walk- the purpose is to move, so you move quickly.

If you're in the back of the formation you will run at times in order to catch up.

AT&T?

PatriotGirl422
08-24-07, 04:13 PM
AT&T?

I hated that! They'd say "AT&T" and we'd have to say "Reach out and touch someone."

rvillac2
08-24-07, 05:28 PM
I hated that! They'd say "AT&T" and we'd have to say "Reach out and touch someone."

Welcome to the little end, Vickie. Do today's kids even remember that commercial?

C'mon Vickie. Update your profile with a Marine picture!

JCam0331
08-24-07, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the little end, Vickie. Do today's kids even remember that commercial?

C'mon Vickie. Update your profile with a Marine picture!

lol she looks pretty in the current one, I vote to keep that :-)

hawks
08-24-07, 06:53 PM
TIGHTER...TIGHTER AYE AYE SIR...FASTER...FASTER AYE AYE SIR...TIGHTER...TIGHTER AYE AYE SIR...GOOD NOONE WANTS TO SOUND OFF CHECK EM...KILL...CHECK EM...KILL KILL...CHECK EM...KILL KILL KILL EM ALL...GOOD CHECK EM...KILL...CHECK EM...KILL KILL...CHECK EM.KILL KILL KILL EM ALL....6 TROOP LEADING STEPS...BAMCIS BEGIN PLANNING ARRANGE RECON MAKE RECON COMPLETE THE PLANNING ISSUE ORDERS SUPERVISE...SITREP...SALUTE SIZE ACTIVITY LOCATION UNIT TIME EQUIPMENT

Those are what the humps and stepping out usually consist of.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-24-07, 07:48 PM
She'll still be pretty in a Marine pic- just have the added beauty that are dress blues.

PatriotGirl422
08-24-07, 09:28 PM
lol she looks pretty in the current one, I vote to keep that :-)

Aww you guys flatter me too much. It looks like I'll be keeping that picture for now. I don't have any good pictures of me in uniform. That will come with time.

Ironrider
08-24-07, 09:34 PM
My feet still remember Mount Mother______ "Oh to be at Pendelton, now that spring is here..."....

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-24-07, 11:24 PM
If I never see Mount Mother (Or Old Smokey, First Sgt Hill, etc.) again, it will still be too soon. I was recently in eastern Kentucky and we stopped at one of the scenic overlooks. Climbing to the top gave me some "Flashbacks" that I didn't want to have.

Haffner
08-24-07, 11:38 PM
Marines (non-grunts [purposely don't use the term POGUE, lol]) don't go up Mt. Mother****er or Anklebreaker anymore for MCT. They may think, by word of mouth, that some certain hump involves one/both of those or that some certain "mountain," they go up is one of them, but they no longer do so.

I was in the last MCT company to actually go through the both of those...god damn, wouldn't want to do them again, but at the same time, I'm proud that I did them without falling out lol.

I know that, "last to do _____," **** gets said all the time, but from word of mouth of other Marines after me, this is fact. I had 13 heat casualties in my Co. at/before the top of Anklebreaker (black flag day) -- when Marines from the company following me (only a week later) said they had not a single heat casualty the whole hump, and that they thought they didn't go up the real anklebreaker -- that was proof enough for me.

Regardless, oorah to all of you. Hard chargin' mother****ers.