PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Parents

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 12:44 AM
I'm determined to lose the weight i need to lose in order to go to boot camp and earn an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor :usmc:. It has been one of my dreams to be part of the United States Marine Corps since I was little, I will not let anything come in the way of me achieving my goals. There is something that is bothering me somewhat, the fact that my parents and most of my friends are against my decision. I always have comebacks and defend the Corps but I am looking for any suggestions on how I can make especially my parents better understand that this is what i want to do.

kbs95125
08-23-07, 01:47 AM
First Suggestion:

Use the search tool for these forums.

Second Suggestion:

Forget about it. Keep motivated. People are always going to hate what they can't understand or accomplish themselves.

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 01:57 AM
First Suggestion:

Use the search tool for these forums.

Second Suggestion:

Forget about it. Keep motivated. People are always going to hate what they can't understand or accomplish themselves.

Sorry if this thread has already been posted, I agree with you though. Thats exactly how I feel, they are just ignorant and are quick to judge what they dont know.

kbs95125
08-23-07, 02:03 AM
No need to apologize, but the search tool is very useful, especially when you know exactly what kind of answers you are looking for.

Fighting everyone who disagrees with your choices does a few things:

1. Wastes time you could be using to learn more knowledge or train.
2. Usually doesn't solve the problem
3. "Proves" something to them that they "use" to prove their inane and stupid point.

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 02:23 AM
True, just have to stay on point making sure I do what it takes to get to MCRD and earn the title of United States Marine :thumbup:

HurricaneRJ
08-23-07, 05:59 AM
This always gets asked. Hell I asked it myself. They will come around sooner or later.

marinepooly1361
08-23-07, 07:01 AM
Everyone told me it was a bad idea because of the war (everyone has probably heard this).

And then I get this alot "Why the Marines?"

I tell them that I want to become the best there is and they'll need to deal with it. I think once they realized what kind of doors the Marine Corp. opens they began to accept it more.

Just tell them "If your not going to stand behind me, Please dont stand in front of me."

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 10:17 AM
Everyone told me it was a bad idea because of the war (everyone has probably heard this).

And then I get this alot "Why the Marines?"

I tell them that I want to become the best there is and they'll need to deal with it. I think once they realized what kind of doors the Marine Corp. opens they began to accept it more.

Just tell them "If your not going to stand behind me, Please dont stand in front of me."

Thanks, I like that quote. The insults I have heard though(from some "friends"), wow there is some ungrateful people living in this country...I dont let it get to me though, I have a few friends in the Corps and they been the my best supporters and motivators.

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 10:19 AM
This always gets asked. Hell I asked it myself. They will come around sooner or later.

Yeah I hope, I mean thats what my Marine friends told me. I'm going to carry through with this either way but I just wish they where more comprehensive.

LoganS2k7
08-23-07, 10:53 AM
Yeah thats what I hear maybe once aday from people that feel the need to voice their opinion. It's either " Your going to go to Iraq, you know that right?" or " I can't believe you joined the Marines, they are the first ones to get killed."

davblay
08-23-07, 10:57 AM
I enlisted when I was 17 and needed both parents to sign for me, during the Nam War. I had an older brother in the Corps, in Nam at the time. I started asking them to sign in the month of October...

aaronk
08-23-07, 12:13 PM
Debigeddie, I too get a lot of this from my Mom and my brother. Mothers are just concerned and stop at nothing to keep their "little one" safe. But once you go to bootcamp and she sees you at the graduation, her perspective will totally change and she will be proud that her son has become a Marine.

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 03:58 PM
Thank you for your response, Its very motivating to hear this from a Marine, because you went through this and hearing this only gets me more pumped up to go to boot camp

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 04:01 PM
Debigeddie, I too get a lot of this from my Mom and my brother. Mothers are just concerned and stop at nothing to keep their "little one" safe. But once you go to bootcamp and she sees you at the graduation, her perspective will totally change and she will be proud that her son has become a Marine.

I cant wait, honestly even though my parents are still against the whole idea of me going to boot camp they see how dedicated and serious I am about losing the required weight to go to boot camp that they have been somewhat less hostile towards my choice.

Rbatteate
08-23-07, 04:19 PM
Davblay
You are one crazy sob, joining the corps during nam.
If I was wearing a hat, it'd be off to you right now.
You are now my favorite Marine, even though im sure theres others on the forum who did the same.

davblay
08-23-07, 05:46 PM
Davblay
You are one crazy sob, joining the corps during nam.
If I was wearing a hat, it'd be off to you right now.
You are now my favorite Marine, even though im sure theres others on the forum who did the same.

CRAZY-----like a fox! I got what I wanted while i would have had to take what they gave me if I were drafted!

kbs95125
08-23-07, 05:50 PM
CRAZY-----like a fox! I got what I wanted while i would have had to take what they gave me if I were drafted!

Thats what I've used to try and convince some people to join.

Like we will ever have a draft in passive aggressive United States again...well... at least not any time soon.

davblay
08-23-07, 06:01 PM
Thats what I've used to try and convince some people to join.

Like we will ever have a draft in passive aggressive United States again...well... at least not any time soon.
Understand-----in those days 56 out of 75 in my platoon were drafted! Hell there was only 14 of us that had volunteered! We 14 caught hell from the beginning. The SDI told us to always remember that we asked for it! But then he told me on graduation day that he was honored to have had his volunteers, as that proved that his Corps was still strong! Made me feel grateful to have had him as a SDI! Good Marine!

Times were different then----all teenaged boys knew that it was just a matter of time before they were called! Not like it is today---we have the best military we have ever had in our history!

kbs95125
08-23-07, 06:04 PM
How many of your platoon wished they would have volunteered instead?

Just curious to see if the draft got anybody who actually was planning on joining anyways...

davblay
08-23-07, 06:21 PM
You seem hell bent on digging up stones, don't you? If you had ever been to Boot Camp, you would know that recruits don't have time to socialize and visit, chit chat and such. So how the hell would I know how many----or for that matter, care how may! It wouldn't have changed the outcome, now would it? I know that some of them, a small percentage, stayed in the Corps, but so did the volunteers. I would say about the same percentages probably. It was a choice after the two year mandatory draft for them to decide if they wanted to stay or get out, just like it was at the end of our enlistments. Some stayed---some left! OK?

kbs95125
08-23-07, 06:32 PM
Yes sir.

JWG
08-24-07, 02:13 PM
Do not feel you need to be defensive. It is something that only the select few born into this life will get a chance to understand.

You were born to be a Marine. You answer to no one about that decision. But, it is uninevitable that you will face criticism. Shrug it off, smile, and give your family a hug and tell them you love them. Your family and friends are just worried for you. Nothing you can do about it.

Come Graduation (and I better read that you passed Boot Camp), you will see a different expression on your friends and families faces. They will finally see what a Marine is. They will be proud.

You know you have the support of your fellow Poolees and Marines. They are who understand this calling in your life.

HurricaneRJ
08-24-07, 04:25 PM
Damn well said Gill and man It's been a long time since I've seen you around. I remember you back on another Marine site. The Marine Warriors about a year ago. You came on vent and talk for awhile. They were real impressed with you.

p.s. You gotta hook me up with one of those sigs.

JWG
08-24-07, 05:23 PM
Damn well said Gill and man It's been a long time since I've seen you around. I remember you back on another Marine site. The Marine Warriors about a year ago. You came on vent and talk for awhile. They were real impressed with you.

p.s. You gotta hook me up with one of those sigs.

Hey man! Yea, that was funny I was just thinking of you guys today.

Sending you off a PM. :flag:

Haffner
08-24-07, 07:23 PM
****ttttttttt, son, nobody was born to be a Marine...they were just born to be afforded the opportunity to attempt becoming a Marine -- then work their azz off for it! lol

sparkie
08-24-07, 08:29 PM
Only one thing makes a Marine,,,,,,,,, Another Marine.

JWG
08-24-07, 11:03 PM
****ttttttttt, son, nobody was born to be a Marine...they were just born to be afforded the opportunity to attempt becoming a Marine -- then work their azz off for it! lol
Sorry Lance Corporal. I mean't to say some of us are born to be called to Title of the Corps, MARINE.

Thanks for the correction, don't want to make it in Boot Camp.

Haffner
08-24-07, 11:49 PM
Haha, hey, JWG, that was in jest, not seriousness =p. I've been dippin' a lil' bit in the sauce today, as my posts will show. That wasn't a real correction of your post, per say, more of a sarcastic reply just to keep this thread going. What you were saying was correct. It takes a special kind've person just to be up to the challence of earning the title =p That's why the attrition rate at bootcamp isn't very high.

Just think...junior enlisted housing in the chAir Force is equal to or greater than the SNCO/Company Grade Officer housing of the Corps. In chAir Force basic training, they get weekends off and cell phones on those days.

I could go on forever about how other branches are so much easier -- yet, we all get paid the same. Therefore, it takes some intestinal fortitude just to put yourself 100% behind the decision of attempting to become a Marine. Hats off to you.

762mm
08-25-07, 01:58 AM
My parents did not support my enlistment at first. Well, let me correct that statement - the mother unit just wanted to keep me 'safe' and away from the bad news being shown on CNN every night ( CNN is junk... my advice is to turn off the TV! ).

My father on the other hand is different. He mentioned many years ago that he would not support me if I went enlisted out of high school ( monetarily and otherwise ). At the time, I was finishing up my second year as a martial arts teacher, and was without a job. I couldn't support myself right away, and I caved in and went to college.

Long story short, I left school to become a Marine. Certain things facilitated my joining, but the point is is that I threw caution to the wind and did what I have always wanted to do. Now, my father was opposed to this almost violently - if I wasn't the 'successful businessman who made lots of income and ran a prestigious company', he wanted to have no part of it.

But to hell with it, I am my own man, and a man must leave the protection of his parents to carve his own niche in the world. I was not born to do what they want me to do, was I?

Now that they see that I am dedicated to it, and the Corps DOES have educational opportunities, they are fine with it. They have come around to understand service to one's nation is extremely honorable...

Just some food for thought. Go become a Marine. They will come around in due time, it just takes a little patience.

DemonicOne
08-25-07, 02:09 AM
My mom is still 100% against it. I already swore in and all that fun stuff I ship 8 days after i grauduate high school. My advice to anyone who is having trouble with people just forget about them. If they don't understand what you are trying to do they never will. I'm moving out in a few days into a apartment of my own I don't need this crap at home. My girl friend broke up with me because I joined, she said, "You won't be around to take care of me." They will always be people like that who don't understand the pride you want to feel when you earn the title U.S. Marine. At least thats how it is for me.

kbs95125
08-25-07, 02:15 AM
Give and take relationships are all the hype. Those of us willing to volunteer.....well figure out which category that fits into.

JWG
08-25-07, 09:36 AM
My mom is still 100% against it. I already swore in and all that fun stuff I ship 8 days after i grauduate high school. My advice to anyone who is having trouble with people just forget about them. If they don't understand what you are trying to do they never will. I'm moving out in a few days into a apartment of my own I don't need this crap at home. My girl friend broke up with me because I joined, she said, "You won't be around to take care of me." They will always be people like that who don't understand the pride you want to feel when you earn the title U.S. Marine. At least thats how it is for me.

Just tell her ass, " You're right, I won't be around here to take care of you. I'll be many miles away risking my life to protect this Blessed Country so that you can go and **** around with anyone you want while I'm gone."

Sorry.. women like that make me wanna puke. :thumbdown:devious:

LeonardLawrence
08-30-07, 01:51 AM
Dabigeddie

Ditch the friends, lose the weight, embrace your life and earn the title...

Good luck!:beer:

dabigeddie1
08-30-07, 12:06 PM
Dabigeddie

Ditch the friends, lose the weight, embrace your life and earn the title...

Good luck!:beer:

Will do Corporal, thank you for your response!

hempstead56
08-30-07, 08:25 PM
Same as me man. I was talking to a girl that I really liked and when she found out I joined the Corps she did not want to talk to me. @#$@ her man those type of people will never know what it means to have the honor to defend our country. Look on the bright side, there are all those pretty Air Force girls we can talk to, LOL

davblay
08-31-07, 01:32 AM
A little bit of free advise to you poolees! If you are not married, stay that way for at least until you make E-4! Married E-3s and below just can't make it in the Corps! If you are engaged, adjust you marriage date and keep an open mind about it, be reasonable. It's asking a lot of a girl to ask that she stay at home, in base housing, while you are being a Marine. If you are married, use the same common sense and ask her to stay at home until you get enough rank to support you both. I know it would be hard to be away from each other, but those welcome homes are always nice!

Just my two cents worth!