PDA

View Full Version : Naval Academy and OCS

Future93
08-21-07, 09:54 PM
I have asked a similar question before,but this one is a little different. Does anyone know if you go to the Naval Academy to be a Marine Officer, do you still have to go to OCS? I'm not asking this because I wouldnt want to go to OCS, I'm asking because I dont know the answer.
Thanks

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-21-07, 10:28 PM
Academy grads don't go to OCS.

Future93
08-21-07, 11:36 PM
Ok thanks for the straight up answer.

hawks
08-22-07, 12:50 AM
They go for 3 weeks....

rvillac2
08-22-07, 01:37 AM
They go to TBS, though.

JCam0331
08-22-07, 10:58 PM
I have asked a similar question before,but this one is a little different. Does anyone know if you go to the Naval Academy to be a Marine Officer, do you still have to go to OCS? I'm not asking this because I wouldnt want to go to OCS, I'm asking because I dont know the answer.
Thanks

Negative. US Naval Academy Midshipmen do not attend OCS since they are training yearlong for 4 years anyway.

However, NROTC Marine Option Midshipmen do attend a 6 week OCS session called "Bulldog"

JCam0331
08-22-07, 11:00 PM
They go for 3 weeks....

Ummm what?

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-23-07, 01:55 AM
I do believe there is some little class to teach the academy grads how to wear USMC uniforms, etc. Three weeks may be the right length.

And they do go to TBS, which seems to be more difficult than OCS to me.

JCam0331
08-23-07, 09:03 AM
I do believe there is some little class to teach the academy grads how to wear USMC uniforms, etc. Three weeks may be the right length.

And they do go to TBS, which seems to be more difficult than OCS to me.

Yeah but by the time you show up at TBS you'd already be a Lieutenant. Not like at OCS when you're always going to wonder if the staff wants to get rid of you lol

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-23-07, 11:00 AM
I don't know, I've never been there. But, I would assume that if the Lts weren't pulling their weight at TBS they'd be on the short bus home pretty quickly.

JCam0331
08-23-07, 11:32 AM
I don't know, I've never been there. But, I would assume that if the Lts weren't pulling their weight at TBS they'd be on the short bus home pretty quickly.

As far as I know they won't send Lieutenants home from TBS...if you graduate last in your class...well you get last pick with MOSes lol

Future93
08-23-07, 11:40 AM
What do you do at TBS?

ggyoung
08-23-07, 01:03 PM
1LT. Frank Reasner USMC went to West Point. MOH. REST in PEACE.

JCam0331
08-23-07, 04:27 PM
1LT. Frank Reasner USMC went to West Point. MOH. REST in PEACE.

????

West Point produces US Army Officers...

Zulu 36
08-23-07, 05:01 PM
What do you do at TBS?

Learn to be a Marine officer and learn to run an infantry platoon.

OCS is a selection process, not a boot camp. Other than about the first week, the candidates are basically on their own when it comes to learning most things. No drill instructors breathing down their necks every minute. Leadership is being tested.

The candidates essentially get no weapons training other than how to clean an M-16, use it in drill, and a little bit in tactical situations (mostly learning how to drag it through obstacle courses).

TBS sends them to the range and all the rest for six-months.

Zulu 36
08-23-07, 05:05 PM
????

West Point produces US Army Officers...
West Point MOSTLY produces Army officers. I knew two Marine officers who were ring knockers from West Point. I also knew an Air Force officer who went to the Point. None were prior service officers.

Here's one to run past an Army ring knocker: What was the best thing that ever came out of West Point?

An empty bus.

JCam0331
08-23-07, 05:38 PM
West Point MOSTLY produces Army officers. I knew two Marine officers who were ring knockers from West Point. I also knew an Air Force officer who went to the Point. None were prior service officers.

Here's one to run past an Army ring knocker: What was the best thing that ever came out of West Point?

An empty bus.

How does that happen?? Forgive me if I'm confused...can a Cadet just go through the USMA, turn down his commission and commission in the USMC instead??

rvillac2
08-23-07, 06:06 PM
How does that happen?? Forgive me if I'm confused...can a Cadet just go through the USMA, turn down his commission and commission in the USMC instead??

West Point is more properly known as the U.S. Military Academy. It's graduates have received commissions from USA, USAF, and USMC (I haven't heard of any going to USN). In the case of Reasoner, apparently he was an enlisted Marine who received a congressional appt to USMA. He returned to the Corps as an officer.

ggyoung
08-23-07, 06:27 PM
JCam=============-----=======It can still be done, You have to find somebody from the branch you want to go in who will trade with you. A son of a friend went to Anapless(sp) traded places with a guy who graduated from the USAFA. a few years ago.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-23-07, 09:54 PM
That is how its done. A component switch can be done if you find someone from the other academy that wants in the service of your academy.

JCam0331
08-24-07, 12:54 AM
wow, did not know that.