PDA

View Full Version : "Helo Company?"

dilferthecat
08-14-07, 03:54 PM
My son is a grunt with the 1/9 at Camp Lejeune. He talks about being in a helo company. Can any of you more experienced folks help me understand what constitutes a helo company and what kinds of things he'll be doing in the helo company?

Thanks.

Always faithful,

Lynne
Marine mom of a 1/9 warrior:flag:

Billd
08-16-07, 11:21 AM
1/9 at Lejuene? Should be 2/9 which is 2nd MarDiv, 1/9 would be the west coast, 1st Mar Div. All I can think that it means is Rotary wing aircraft. Helicopters maybe. For grunts that would mean either the CH 53 or the 46. Not sure what he'd be doing other than being transported in them.

dilferthecat
08-16-07, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your response. I don't know what he's doing with helicopters either. Probably just jumping out of them, if the need arises. Jesse is definitely in the "Walking Dead" - 1st BN, 9th Marines at Camp Lejeune, II MEF. Here's the site:

http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/Public%2FIIMEFpublic.nsf/sites/1stBat_9thMar

Thanks again, Bill! I appreciate all the info I can get. :)

Always faithful,

Lynne
Pfc. Jesse's mom, Camp Lejeune

Sgt Dan
08-16-07, 12:38 PM
1/9 is in Lejeune. 2/9 has just also been activated and 3/9 will be able to activate shortly. Helo company means is that utilize this transportation and it would be there specialty as if another company uses boat or tracks. Being in a helo company would teach him how to anboard and offload out of a CH-53 or 46 without running into the rear blades and be able to call in the birds at night useing various methods. It is all real good training, I know I had a blast being able to fast rope out the back of them.

Sgt Dan
08-16-07, 12:40 PM
1/9 is in Lejeune. 2/9 has just also been activated and 3/9 will be able to activate shortly. Helo company means is that they utilize this transportation and it would be there specialty as if another company uses boat or tracks to make a assault. Being in a helo company would teach him how to anboard and offload out of a CH-53 or 46 without running into the rear blades and be able to call in the birds at night useing various methods. It is all real good training, I know I had a blast being able to fast rope out the back of them.

dilferthecat
08-16-07, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Sgt. Dan. Jesse loves jumping out of those things. I just about choked when I heard what he'll be doing, but that's what prayer is for, right? That's MY job in this USMC journey!

I appreciate your helpful info.

God bless.

Lynne, Rochester, NY
Pfc. Jesse's mom, 1/9 Charlie

Billd
08-16-07, 02:24 PM
with 1/9 (just verified). He's a PFC and his name is Andrew. Your son might know him.
He comes home every weekend (8 hour drive). I used to make the same drive. Good luck to your son, fast roping is a lot of fun. Great RUSH!!!
I know what you mean about the prayer. I never realized why my Mom felt the way she did when I would come home and then leave again. Now with two sons in the Corps, I fully understand!

Tell your son that we're all proud of him and glad he's doing what he does!!
SemperFi
:flag:

Quinbo
08-16-07, 02:26 PM
1/9 the walking dead was deactivated in Pendleton several years ago and recently reactivated on the east coast. 9th Marines in whole will soon be active and will again be able to carry their colors. They are being reactivated as part of the build up of the Marines from 154K (Clinton Era) to the end plan of 220K.

Helo companys spend most of their time walking ;)

SSgt Blue
08-16-07, 02:56 PM
Boats are more fun !!!!!!!!! Deeper History, A. Co. Raiders 1/4 Wpns Plt.