PDA

View Full Version : He flies like an Eagle

thedrifter
08-13-07, 07:04 AM
He flies like an Eagle
Scout's next challenge is the Marines

August 13, 2007
BY KENDRICK MARSHALL kmarshall@scn1.com

Kurt Schultz has a passion for being a leader. The 18-year-old Antioch High School graduate was captain of the football team his senior year, graduated six months earlier than his classmates and has won first-place awards for marksmanship at the Northern Illinois Conservation Club.

Schultz can now add Eagle Scout to his impressive list of accomplishments.

He received the Boy Scouts' highest honor at a ceremony Sunday at the Moose Lodge on Route 173 in Antioch.

His next challenge is the Marines.

Schultz will be heading to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, Calif., later this month for a 13-week boot camp.

"Being an Eagle Scout is something that is very special to me," he said. "It takes a lot of hard work to achieve it."

And for the majority of his young life, Schultz has had no problem working his fingers to the bone.

Even though Schultz graduated ahead of classmates in December with a 3.7 GPA, instead of sitting around the house playing video games, he picked up a part-time job.

"He really has demonstrated what working hard will get you," said Kurt's father, Russell. "Whether it was mowing the lawn or doing school projects, Kurt has been willing to do it to the best of his ability."

And that grinder mentality was displayed as part of Schultz's service project where leadership skills are key to completing a project that will benefit the community.

As a member of Troop 92, Schultz planned, prepared and executed dignified disposal of 500 tattered American flags that were collected at the Antioch Veterans of Foreign Wars post in July.

The project was similar to the one that his older brother, Andrew, completed before he was named an Eagle Scout a few years ago.

"I've always looked up to my older brother," he said. "When he joined the football team in high school, I wanted to do the same thing. I have always wanted to follow in his footsteps."

"My dad was in the Marines, and I've always been attracted to what they do, so it was an easy decision for me," Schultz said. "I don't know if I'm totally prepared for what's going to happen, but I know everything I learned in Boy Scouts will help.

"I've always loved the idea of serving my country. I take a lot of pride in defending the United States."