PDA

View Full Version : Jump Qualified??

Iwant2BNtheUSMC
08-10-07, 11:41 AM
I know that in the army you can go "airborne" no matter which MOS you choose and I know that the Marines doesn't have "airborne" but they do have "jump qualified" MOS's. Can you try to be jump qualified with any MOS like in the army or only certain ones?

(I'm sorry if this was covered in a diff thread but I tried searching and found nothing)

HurricaneRJ
08-10-07, 01:18 PM
Jump Qualified MOS?
I don't think the Marine Corps still have Parachute Riggers. I know back in the past they went to ABN School.

As far as getting to goto ABN School. You either have to be in MARSOC or MSOB, or you can get it as a re-enlistment bonus. I live right next to Ft. Benning and while my brother went through ABN School, he was put with the Marines. He hated them at first, but later on he became good friends with them and those guys are cool to kick the **** with.

Iwant2BNtheUSMC
08-10-07, 01:29 PM
Hmm... I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Marines still have MOS 0451 and they have to go to airborne school... is that true or no?

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-10-07, 01:39 PM
There are more jobs than that where you have to be jump qualified. ANGLICO comes to mind quickly. And I'm sure there are riggers jobs still.

There is no promise that you'll get jump qualified unless you have one of the jobs that require you to be jump qualified. Units get quotas from time to time, and they will usually be filled by officers or admin types that see them first. It is possible to do it as a part of a reenlistment, but even that isn't a promise. If jumping is that important to you then pay to do it yourself or join the Army.

MGySgtSki
08-10-07, 04:31 PM
There are more jobs than that where you have to be jump qualified. ANGLICO comes to mind quickly. And I'm sure there are riggers jobs still.

There is no promise that you'll get jump qualified unless you have one of the jobs that require you to be jump qualified. Units get quotas from time to time, and they will usually be filled by officers or admin types that see them first. It is possible to do it as a part of a reenlistment, but even that isn't a promise. If jumping is that important to you then pay to do it yourself or join the Army.

First, Hurricane, I know you're motivated and all that, but don't run your mouth about something you don't know, especially concerning the operating forces. MARSOC ain't the only place out there with a jump mission.

Air delivery Marines, MOS 0451, are parachute riggers and if you're going to pack em, you're dang sure going to jump em. Recon Battalions still have plenty of jump quotas these days. As well, as (believe it or not) Radio Battalion and Intel Battalions. Strangely enough, active duty ANGILICO does not have an airborne mission, but the reserve component does.

And, yes, there are "incentive" school seats out there for reenlistments and crap like that.

S/F

davblay
08-10-07, 05:27 PM
I agree with the MSGT! We all should post on threads that we know the answers and leave the rest to the ones that DO know the answers. When we post inaccuarate responses it confuses the original poster.

We should all, Marines and Poolees alike, make sure of our answers and proof them before we post them. Saves time for everyone.

thewookie
08-10-07, 05:47 PM
I got my lead sled while with MCSF in Greece. It was a Navy quota actually that came to the base and then our unit. What a joke that school is, 3 weeks of misery listening to poor Army cadences. All the Marines typically join up at school and cause all the Sgt. Airborne's plenty of misery, we don't play their games well. who ha

HurricaneRJ
08-10-07, 09:51 PM
Roger that Marines. I noted that. I've asked the same question to my recruiters and thats pretty much the same answer I got. I thought I would just give an answer I was given.

I'll keep my trap shut.

Marine84
08-11-07, 09:31 AM
You mean you can QUALIFY for that? That ain't right,they always told me that I could jump off of/onto/into/out of whatever I wanted but, they never said nothing about qualifying.

(sorry....................can't help it when I see a funny op)

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-11-07, 10:17 AM
MSGTSKI, I am surprised ANGLICO doesn't have a jump mission. Every one of them I knew before they disappeared were gold wingers- as were the FORCE Com guys. But, I'm sure they know what they're doing with not making them jumpers.

But, your point rings true. Lots of ways to get to jump.

thewookie
08-11-07, 10:49 AM
You mean you can QUALIFY for that? That ain't right,they always told me that I could jump off of/onto/into/out of whatever I wanted but, they never said nothing about qualifying.

(sorry....................can't help it when I see a funny op)

It's not rocket science but yes you do qualify. 5 jumps (I'm a 6 jump chump) to qualify. I have a good story to add onto my earlier post. We used to mess with the Sgt. Airbornes a lot, me and this other guy from a reserve recon unit from Texas, Sgt. Harris. Years later I actually saw or heard him being interviewed on CNN when the Marines from an AAV unit in Iraq were dragging down that big statue of Saddam. He's a funny guy. Any way. At Fort Benning me and Harris, usually me, would run upstairs in the barracks after chow when the whole class, about 300 soldiers, airmen, sailors, and Marines, (they actually call it a company, I was technically in "Delta Company" class Feb of 95.) But any way I would run upstairs to the 3rd or 4th deck and hide in the head near the window, meanwhile the whole class was gathering up downstairs after chow. Smokin and jokin. And I would yell "JUMPERS,, HIT-IT" and then in unison the whole class would "prepare to land" and do the little ritual you're told to do by them, put your feet and knees together, tuck your head into your chest with your hands on your reserve which is on your stomach. This is what your supposed to do the moments before you hit the ground (actually it's when you get tree-top level or 100yds from payday) The whole time your there all the Sgt. Airbornes make it a point to run around and yell that constantly. You could be walking, eating a burger, picking your nose. But when someone, anyone, yells "JUMPERS,,, HIT-IT" your supposed to do that little ritual thing, I think I remember doing some goofy chant also? So occasionally I'd run up to the head and yell it and ALL THE SGT. AIRBORNES WOULD BE LOOKING AROUND TO SEE WHO DID IT, IT WAS NONE OF THEM, JUST ME!! And then all the Marines of the company would start chuckling and they eventually found me up there hiding one day. i think I had to do some push ups or something, they're big on that.

But it's done for a reason, you need to know what your doing trust me. Again, it's not rocket science but your coming down fast and hard,,, like a lawn dart. The hardest part for me were the landings,,, and not laughing at the Army. We're talking T-52Bravo's or some name like that for the chute that your jumping in school. They used the same ones in Normandy. Not like the chutes that Recon uses, trust me. My second jump I was knocked unconscious, they call you a head banger. I was cocky after my first jump that went fairly smooth. So I didn't "prepare to land" very well, or not at all, and I smashed into the DZ like a sack of potatoes. I was out cold, forget about it! I came to in a few, after I'd been dragged on my back a little, because after you land if you don't collapse your chute it'll remain open and then your like a mouse, Senior Speedy Gonzales getting dragged by your chute all over the DZ. I came to and Sgt Airbornes were on the DZ yelling at me with their little mega phones to come to them. So I packed my chute in my kit bag and hustled over to this guy, he was screaming at me and telling me that I was a freakin idiot and all the usual garbage. I told him I wasn't a "headbanger" (If you admit it then they usually ship you out for medical reasons,) in fact I swore to him that I didn't bang my head at all I was just enjoying the ride, and he let me go. I was not leaving that school without a certificate and my wings. I dreaded the next jump, but I payed attention and got through it. I think the 3rd jump was a night jump and that was actually sweet! It's a good school to go to, more Marines should. I saw so many limp dick Army and Air Force guys and girls dropping out daily, like flies. It's pathetic. As a Marine when you graduate from there, after your 5 jumps, 4 day and one night jump. You earn the silver jump wings, or lead sled. I also got my "blood" wings while I was there by the SNCOIC and OIC of the Marine Detachment on Benning. And then if you go to a unit, or came from a unit that's a jump unit, then you can look to get the gold wings that everyone thinks of when you see the bubba's from Recon. You'll never see gold wings unless your with a unit that's a jump unit, no matter how many other jumps that you manage to get. I was lucky and raised my hand off the coast of Sardinia Italy and got to go jump from the back of a helo with MEUSOC guys from Recon, and some other multi-national guys from the French Foreign Legoine, and SAS, for my 6th. Wow, what an experience that was. I make fun of the school but it was fun. I've always said there's no more of an exhilarating feeling then standing in the open doorway of a C-130 or 141 and waiting for the green light to jump, as you watch the earth fly by at 150+MPH. Your wearing like 100+lbs of crap so all you basically have to do is step,,,

thewookie
08-11-07, 10:52 AM
MSGTSKI, I am surprised ANGLICO doesn't have a jump mission. Every one of them I knew before they disappeared were gold wingers- as were the FORCE Com guys. But, I'm sure they know what they're doing with not making them jumpers.

But, your point rings true. Lots of ways to get to jump.

ANGLICO is done as far as an active unit goes. They closed up shop before I got out. I know the MSGT said there was a reserve unit still out there but there's no more active unit that I know of. Our admin guy in Greece came from ANGLICO before they closed, he had gold wings. Larry Bowers, good man!

Marine84
08-11-07, 10:56 AM
Michael, I'm not blond honey, I KNOW you have to qualify. I'm the resident WM in the house and back in 84 I don't think they would have let me jump even if I had wanted to. I never understood why men liked jumping out of perfectly good (working) airplane anyway. Is that just a testosterone thing?

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-11-07, 11:15 AM
Wookie, I know they went away. I think that happened in 97 or 98. But, they've made a come back. Apparently they don't jump now though.

thewookie
08-11-07, 11:18 AM
Michael, I'm not blond honey, I KNOW you have to qualify. I'm the resident WM in the house and back in 84 I don't think they would have let me jump even if I had wanted to. I never understood why men liked jumping out of perfectly good (working) airplane anyway. Is that just a testosterone thing?

Yeah I actually understood your post but I wanted to tell that story, and to clarify for the record my earlier statements. But I don't see any reason why a woman Marine who's qualified, no some freikin hot S-1 Generals driver WM, but if the quota was there, and if she qualified amongst her peers, Male and Female. Then you should be able to go. I'm saying if you were on some special assignment duty station somewhere and a quota came in that you should be able to compete for the slot. Just my opinion. I'm not a big fan of WM's in general but I think if they can do it, let them.

thewookie
08-11-07, 11:35 AM
let me say this before I get killed here. The reason why I'm not a big fan of WM's or women in the military period is becuase if they get captured or some find themselves behind enemy lines. Nothing personal. Just the way I feel about it.:sick:

Marine84
08-11-07, 01:55 PM
Ain't no biggie - you may have had a run in with a WM or two - I did too. And, I agree about the captured thing - we American Military Women have something ON us that the enemy would love to torture the $h!t out of. I ain't up for it personally but, I had a damned good time supportin' from the rear.

bigdog43701
08-11-07, 01:56 PM
mike...disagree with you. in 1980 at K-Bay i had a whole SQUAD of WM's. my WO thought he would f me over by doing that. my WM's outworked the other males in the Station Ordnance Shop. come inspection time they got higher marks than the males.

do women belong in combat? wait..didn't an army sgt (female type) recently earn a silver star with combat v?

Marine84
08-11-07, 02:12 PM
Iyaoyas!

Accord
08-11-07, 07:54 PM
ANGLICO is done as far as an active unit goes. They closed up shop before I got out. I know the MSGT said there was a reserve unit still out there but there's no more active unit that I know of. Our admin guy in Greece came from ANGLICO before they closed, he had gold wings. Larry Bowers, good man!
I drive by the ANGLICO barracks here on Lejeune everyday! They're still around as far as I know.

My local reserve unit is 4th ANGLICO in WPB, after my 4 years of AD i'm deciding whether to reup for another 4 or go into the reserves with 4th ANGLICO.

thewookie
08-12-07, 05:06 AM
I drive by the ANGLICO barracks here on Lejeune everyday! They're still around as far as I know.

My local reserve unit is 4th ANGLICO in WPB, after my 4 years of AD i'm deciding whether to reup for another 4 or go into the reserves with 4th ANGLICO.

see that I thought they were done, thanks!

thewookie
08-12-07, 05:17 AM
mike...disagree with you. in 1980 at K-Bay i had a whole SQUAD of WM's. my WO thought he would f me over by doing that. my WM's outworked the other males in the Station Ordnance Shop. come inspection time they got higher marks than the males.

do women belong in combat? wait..didn't an army sgt (female type) recently earn a silver star with combat v?

big dog I understand your point completely but it's not about performance or anything like that. I've also seen woman Marines perform at a level that meets or easily exceeds males. It's just a personal thing for me of not seeing any woman in harms way. It's more about respect and my feeling that a woman shouldn't be needed, men should be jumping up to fill the ranks, especially now. So it's nothing at all about ability, or right, or job knowledge or anything. I just don't like the idea of women in combat. Whether they go on to win the Medal of Honor it doesn't change the way I feel. I don't doubt any woman, heck they give birth! But if they join, any service, especially the Marines, then they might find themselves in harms way. And I don't like that. This might sound sexist but the men should do that. Semper Fi

thewookie
08-12-07, 05:20 AM
Ain't no biggie - you may have had a run in with a WM or two - I did too. And, I agree about the captured thing - we American Military Women have something ON us that the enemy would love to torture the $h!t out of. I ain't up for it personally but, I had a damned good time supportin' from the rear.\

Please don't take offense to that, I'm a Marine and things don't always come out the way it was intended. I bet most woman could endure the torture of capture better then some men, like I said woman give birth, and wear high heels, both of which require enormous amounts of discipline!

thewookie
08-12-07, 05:27 AM
Wookie, I know they went away. I think that happened in 97 or 98. But, they've made a come back. Apparently they don't jump now though.

Thanks, I'm old

bigdog43701
08-12-07, 11:23 AM
wook...i understand completely what you mean. hell during nam you would never find a female service member (except nurses) in country, not even in "support" units. Times have changed and now we find ourselves with females being assigned to support units thus ending up in combat theaters. i was also fortunate enough during the mid 70s to take part in training where Marine 03 types took some WM's and trained them in combat operations. i found a new respect for the WMs because they took every bit of what we threw at them and more. so should WMs be allowed to become grunts, tankers etc. probably not in todays society but the day may be coming. we do after all we now have female fighter pilots and helo pilots who far outnumber the likelyhood of being captured or killed in combat.

Marine84
08-12-07, 11:26 AM
\

Please don't take offense to that, I'm a Marine and things don't always come out the way it was intended. I bet most woman could endure the torture of capture better then some men, like I said woman give birth, and wear high heels, both of which require enormous amounts of discipline!

None taken - I was never one of those that thought she could do everything a man can. I understand what you're saying! On top of worrying about completing a mission alive, you guys shouldn't have the added worry of protecting a female (and we all know it happens). I'm with ya my Brother! I know there are women out there doing it today and I wish them all the luck in the world but, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I would have been crying on somebody's shoulder every night!

dan8152
11-29-07, 12:22 PM
I got my lead sled while with MCSF in Greece. It was a Navy quota actually that came to the base and then our unit. What a joke that school is, 3 weeks of misery listening to poor Army cadences. All the Marines typically join up at school and cause all the Sgt. Airborne's plenty of misery, we don't play their games well. who ha

yea I got my 5 jump chump wings when I was min MCSF (mardet enterprise) half the detachment got to go. I think MCSF company gets lots of quotas at least they did back in the mid 90's

Proffitt
11-29-07, 12:29 PM
Ha

Proffitt
11-29-07, 12:31 PM
That comment about paying for it yourself or joining the Army is hilarious.

JChebahtah
11-29-07, 12:48 PM
I never understood why men liked jumping out of perfectly good (working) airplane anyway. Is that just a testosterone thing?

Definitely not! It's just purely awesome. But you do have to have some big balls to do it. Whew.:cool:

Do you jump in SERE training?

1stRad2671
11-29-07, 06:18 PM
Do you jump in SERE training?

No